Why the center mounted gauge hate?

b_tapper

Car(s)
'87 E30 BMW 325, '08 Scion xB, '08 Scion xD
So why the hate?

The last two cars I've owned had them and I think they are great. The wheel doesn't block them and you don't have to keep looking down to see them. The center mounted ones are up nice and high and you don't have to take your eyes off the road to see them. Maybe it's because I'm tall and it's easier that way for me *shrugs* I'll admit they do take a while to get used to, but after that I wouldn't want it any other way.

Hehehe Citroen Thread.

Anywho, Like I said over there. Mate has a C4. At first, it was wierd. Speedo in the middle I can always see what's going on. The problem is though, so can the car next to you and the copper behind you. Though, with that being said. I kinda like it, it grows on you. Though again, I must admit when driving his car, it bugged the shit out of me. Takes time. That's all.

Its just different I suppose. Never had a motor with one - must say I am a bit put off by it myself, but I'll give it a chance when I next consider changing cars.

I think it's because it's unsusual and most people are suspicious of new things and ideas.

I have heard it works well and maybe even better than normal gauges once you're used to it, but I wouldn't want a car with it. It makes it look cheap somehow.

I had the displeasure of driving multiple cars with digital speedos in the centre (Renault Scenic, Renault Twingo, Citroen C4, Citroen Xsara Picasso). I truly hate these. Not only do you have to look down to check your speed (which you always need to), but you also need to look a fair bit to the right to see them, having to take your eyes even further off the road. And imho my speed is my business, not the business of everyone else in the car.

I had the displeasure of driving multiple cars with digital speedos in the centre (Renault Scenic, Renault Twingo, Citroen C4, Citroen Xsara Picasso). I truly hate these. Not only do you have to look down to check your speed (which you always need to), but you also need to look a fair bit to the right to see them, having to take your eyes even further off the road. And imho my speed is my business, not the business of everyone else in the car.

Have you driven a Yaris? They made it so nobody else can see the gauges :)

:+1: I too hate the central speedo, but I have reserved a special kind of hate for huge ass digital speedos

It tells you exactly how much you're speeding AND is broadcasting this to everyone in your vicinity. No more "well I wasnt looking at the speedo mr Officer" :mad:

I dislike center gauges for two reasons.

1. they usually are digital, which means that they don't have a proper progress. When you accelerate from a standstill, they just give you an update once in a while instead of a seamless figure. I very much prefer classic analogue dials because of that

2. I think that it's the drivers job to know how fast he's going. Therefore, I think such dials should be where the driver is at, and not just somewhere in front for everyone to look at.

Can't stand them, they're out of your line of sight.

Worst part is, I just feel they're cheaping out because putting the guages in the centre and making the dash symmetrical reduces cost when producing left and right hand drive versions.

My other beef with digital speedos is that they give you a false sense of accuracy. They're just as inaccurate as analog speedos (usually about 10% too fast) but because the number you see is absolute, people think it must be accurate.

Not a fan of centre-mount gauges at all. Having the gauges directly in front of you is less of a distraction than having to look across to the centre of the cabin. And yes, I have driven a car with them, and for me they just don't work.

^Can't say i've had the displeasure.

I have.

Do. Not. Want.

Apart from hating the car, the digital readout was very unnerving, I much prefer having a needle and a dial. And having it in the centre didn't feel right either...

Wow, lots of hate and misinformation in this thread. Believe it or not, your eyes take less time to refocus on the road with a center-mounted gauge cluster. By looking slightly to the right (or left for RHD) and a bit down you keep your peripheral vision on the road. With a traditional gauge cluster you have to take your eyes off the road almost completely to see it. Trust me, I've driven both types and the center-mounted style is the way to go for safety.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/09/11/nav02.jpg

I don't see how putting that gauge lower down and in front of me will help me keep my eyes on the road. Science people, science!

Misinformed or not, I believe that the majority of people (including me) still prefer the classic position for the dials, even if center dials are scientifically proven to be safer.

Misinformed or not, I believe that the majority of people (including me) still prefer the classic position for the dials, even if center dials are scientifically proven to be safer.

Old habits die hard...

Wow, lots of hate and misinformation in this thread. Believe it or not, your eyes take less time to refocus on the road with a center-mounted gauge cluster. By looking slightly to the right (or left for RHD) and a bit down you keep your peripheral vision on the road. With a traditional gauge cluster you have to take your eyes off the road almost completely to see it. Trust me, I've driven both types and the center-mounted style is the way to go for safety.

I don't see how putting that gauge lower down and in front of me will help me keep my eyes on the road. Science people, science!

That's all good and well - but my experience and opinion differ greatly.

Last edited:
Mounting the gauges to the centre takes them away from the driver, they're no longer his sole possession like in the olden days. "I'm the driver, I have important things to do like steering, using the pedals, changing gears, thus the information must be aimed solely at me!"
Gauges in the centre are a watered-down family-focused thing.

I would never buy a car with center mounted dials. I fucking hate them. I had a Nissan X-trail for a few days that had them and it was really bad.