Why the 'the'?

hmm, don't think it's that easy. don't think there's an actualy rule

for instance you say "the balcan" (albania - kroatia - servia - some more), but at the same time, they say "scandinavia" (norway - sweden - finland) without "the"

Scandinavia is a geological definition of a certain area, and therefore, not plural. "The Balkan" I have never heard; I've always heard "The Balkans" which refers to the Balkan states. Perhaps this exception comes out of that particular diction. To me "the Balkan" once again refers to the actual land area, not the states that occupy it, thus making the usage singular.

Scandinavia is a geological definition of a certain area, and therefore, not plural. "The Balkan" I have never heard; I've always heard "The Balkans" which refers to the Balkan states. Perhaps this exception comes out of that particular diction. To me "the Balkan" once again refers to the actual land area, not the states that occupy it, thus making the usage singular.

If I were learning English and I came across these posts, I think I'd cry.

But Balkan is also a peninsula (and a mountain range) as is scandinavia, and both have several states.. I guess it depends on how people understand them - Balkan as a political mess, and scandinavia as a peaceful unity:).

^We are not THAT peaceful!! We make really mean jokes about eachother.. :p

^More like: What do you call smart ppl in Norway? -Tourists...
or
A Norwegian was involved in a car accident, and the police came up and asked him:
?Who is responsible for this crash??
The Norwegian: ?I don?t know, I was looking in another direction.?

Yea, I know..

^More like: What do you call smart ppl in Norway? -Tourists...
or
A Norwegian was involved in a car accident, and the police came up and asked him:
?Who is responsible for this crash??
The Norwegian: ?I don?t know, I was looking in another direction.?

Yea, I know..

Yea, as far as I understand it goes like that:

- Finns are goatfuckers.
- All Swedish men are gay.
- Norwegians are really stupid.

Could be just the swedes I know, though.