Why You Should Own A Corvette

In GM's defense, their cruise control hasn't caught any cars on fire. It takes a special talent to do that.

The best part is that the vehicle doesn't even need to be started for the burning to begin.

Last edited:
What the fuck is up with window regulators? All the cars I owned/own have that as a known issue.

Here's the best part: the part was $1200 each on my car. Fun!

I had one replaced under extended manufacturer warranty (thanks previous owner!) and it failed again 18 months later. :lol: Thankfully my dealer managed to talk Chrysler into replacing it under the 12 months part warranty.

They replaced it with a 2013+ (Gen 5) window regular which should be more reliable and only costs $300. Phew.

Still waiting for the other one to fail though. :?

In GM's defense, their cruise control hasn't caught any cars on fire. It takes a special talent to do that.

The best part is that the vehicle doesn't even need to be started for the burning to begin.

While Ford's is pretty silly, the fix is a lot cheaper to repair.

This thread has really gone off topic, hasn't it?

Given the number of parts and how much engineering goes into cars, some of the parts are bound to go wrong. This is a given. The important bit is how the manufacturer responds when things do go wrong. Take the 3.6L VR6 in my car, it has a design flaw where the bolt for the oil pump backs out over time, grinding against the timing cover and eventually leading to engine failure. Volkswagen is aware of this issue and fixed it in 2008 and later years. However, people with the older engines are left with no acknowledgement or compensation from the company. This is a terrible action from the company. Despite attempts to get the cars recalled, the engine itself simply isn't common enough to get much attention.

While Ford's is pretty silly, the fix is a lot cheaper to repair.

This thread has really gone off topic, hasn't it?

Cheaper or not it was a massive recall of dangerous flaw.

Recalls happen, cars are massively complicated things. I'm throwing in a counter point to the Ford fanboy idiocy happening here. Every manufacture has issues.

Here's the best part: the part was $1200 each on my car. Fun!

I had one replaced under extended manufacturer warranty (thanks previous owner!) and it failed again 18 months later. :lol: Thankfully my dealer managed to talk Chrysler into replacing it under the 12 months part warranty.

They replaced it with a 2013+ (Gen 5) window regular which should be more reliable and only costs $300. Phew.

Still waiting for the other one to fail though. :?
Holly crap is that thing made out of gold?

- - - Updated - - -

Given the number of parts and how much engineering goes into cars, some of the parts are bound to go wrong. This is a given. The important bit is how the manufacturer responds when things do go wrong. Take the 3.6L VR6 in my car, it has a design flaw where the bolt for the oil pump backs out over time, grinding against the timing cover and eventually leading to engine failure. Volkswagen is aware of this issue and fixed it in 2008 and later years. However, people with the older engines are left with no acknowledgement or compensation from the company. This is a terrible action from the company. Despite attempts to get the cars recalled, the engine itself simply isn't common enough to get much attention.

German engineering....

- - - Updated - - -

Because "bro".

Bro, do you even bro, bro?

You've never driven your car hard and you never will. Only a professional racing driver can drive a car hard. Everyone else sucks. Back roads are not hard, drag racing is not hard, the vast majority of track day drivers are not hard.

HEY. LISTEN. As an "automotive journalist," I can heel-toe a Toyota Yaris on my free Pilotis as well as any bench-racing chump who fills my publication with amateur-hour statistics. I can achieve 10/10ths in a Hyundai Santa Fe in the same time it takes for me to rush over to the shrimp buffet at the Four Seasons in Scottsdale, which is fast as hell, because nothing tastes better than shrimp in the desert. Ever scare a midlevel product planner up The Snake in a Ford Explorer? Screw you race car drivers. I once got a Skip Barber "certificate of completion" at Laguna Seca for doing a lead-follow in an MX-5 Miata, even though I could've dusted all those asstwats down the Corkscrew, because I once complemented the shift feel in a manual Mazda 6. Cockknockers.

Having owned a C4 vette, and having loved it even when it was in the shop (like always) I can say that they are very pretty to look at, and very fun to drive, but I would not own another one. Sorry, just wouldn't.

Those citing Window Regulators, had to replace two, and the one I had also leaked like a sieve, everywhere.

Corvettes are for renting and riding hard, and for gawping at in Bowling Green. This from a Chevy lover who is ready to take her knocks for her brand.

I've had one problem with my C6 so far.. it was a sway bar end link and it cost me $15 to replace.

HEY. LISTEN. As an "automotive journalist," I can heel-toe a Toyota Yaris on my free Pilotis as well as any bench-racing chump who fills my publication with amateur-hour statistics. I can achieve 10/10ths in a Hyundai Santa Fe in the same time it takes for me to rush over to the shrimp buffet at the Four Seasons in Scottsdale, which is fast as hell, because nothing tastes better than shrimp in the desert. Ever scare a midlevel product planner up The Snake in a Ford Explorer? Screw you race car drivers. I once got a Skip Barber "certificate of completion" at Laguna Seca for doing a lead-follow in an MX-5 Miata, even though I could've dusted all those asstwats down the Corkscrew, because I once complemented the shift feel in a manual Mazda 6. Cockknockers.

Colby Dousche, is that you?!

Having owned a C4 vette, and having loved it even when it was in the shop (like always) I can say that they are very pretty to look at, and very fun to drive, but I would not own another one. Sorry, just wouldn't.

Those citing Window Regulators, had to replace two, and the one I had also leaked like a sieve, everywhere.

Corvettes are for renting and riding hard, and for gawping at in Bowling Green. This from a Chevy lover who is ready to take her knocks for her brand.
It's possible, just possible that a few things may have changed in 20+ years.

Looks like the new Vettes are not exactly being recalled yet, but you can't buy one right now.

Why? Well, seems the factory forgot to um..assemble the rear brakes correctly (parking brake, but still!) and the airbags might not exactly, um...work.

No more 2015 Corvette?

So are you saying that NONE of the current owners use the parking brake when the car is parked?

it's only one of the two cables for the ebrake. for parking that's plenty. different story if you pull it and only one side locks at high speed.