Wi-Fi on Airlines

Ryanair has been talking about this for ages, along with (oh god no) mobile phone service in mid-flight.

The prospect of in-flight wifi makes me happy; as I've used on-train wifi before and it helped eat up the miles (and my credit card), and flights are worse than trains as you can't even walk up and down.

Don't people read books anymore? :?
I mean, seriously... on the rare occassions I now use trains and planes, I'm properly travelling, and I just want to get away from computers...

^ Super-compact laptops can get up to 10 hours with the right battery configuration.

I know apple sells this adapter that can plug into the seat somewhere, I think it depends what plane it is and what seat. Something like that.

Well, that's nothing new is it? It even says so in the article. BTW, here's a pic I took last September on a Lufthansa flight from LAX to Frankfurt.
http://img135.imageshack.**/img135/8963/cimg0167largepa1.th.jpg
With Lufthansa you get power outlets in first and business class seats, so no battery issues for me. For other airlines you might wanna check out http://www.seatguru.com.

Oh, and I'm glad people aren't able to talk on their cellphones during flights, yet. Internet is fine, but imagine how anoying it would be to have people talking on their phones all the time, especially during long haul flights. Although that's just a matter of time, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
how do you guys deal with laptop battery life on long distance flights?

On continental flights, first class has outlets under their seats, and recently I noticed that the flight attendant said seats 1-17(A,B,C,D etc) have outlets. luckily im an elite status with them and are either bumped to first class or get the reserved seats which are seats 1-17 on 737's. That and also my new Thinkpad X61s on its lowest settings with the extended battery and slice battery, battery time is over 11 hours.. of course I haven't had a flight long enough to use all 11 hours :cry:

Don't people read books anymore? :?
I mean, seriously... on the rare occassions I now use trains and planes, I'm properly travelling, and I just want to get away from computers...

Are you serious? I'd rather be telling people on finalgear.com that I am in an airplane and paying $25 an hour to tell them!