Will I see speed increase from upgraded DSL wiring?

BigDaveDogg

Car(s)
GG IX SE
AT&T is upgrading the wiring/boxes/whatever at the entrance of my neighborhood for higher-speed internet. Will I instantly see an increase in my home? Is it a big bottleneck there or will the rest of the wiring into my home, etc need upgrading as well? I know the more people using the internets at a given time decreases the speed, as well as distance it has to travel or something. Anyone wanna shed some light for a n00b? :hmm:

Go here, http://www.dslreports.com/ , and check to see how far your CO is to you and what is your current speed. That should give you an idea that *If* they are installing a new CO in your area then you might see a speed bump. Then again, if your already getting your rated speed then you wont see any speed bump at all.

Go here, http://www.dslreports.com/ , and check to see how far your CO is to you and what is your current speed. That should give you an idea that *If* they are installing a new CO in your area then you might see a speed bump. Then again, if your already getting your rated speed then you wont see any speed bump at all.

I think you mean RT (Remote Terminal) not CO (Central Office). Two very different things :p

The thing is, you gotta know which connection they sell you. If you got a x Mbit line, then you will have one tomorrow as well. Just because there is new wiring doesn't mean anything right away.
My router has a function in its Menu which will tell you fast fast you could theoretically connect, what the capacity of the line actually is.

So: What speed you got right now? Is it ADSL, or ADSL2 (which means a new router/modem, but no new lines and a new max of 24 Mbit downstream)
You will most likely have to get a new contract or renew yours to benefit

Shouldn't make any difference.
If you have for example 2Mb DSL right now and they upgrade the wiring, you will still have 2Mb DSL. Your speed won't increase because they limit how fast you can go, you get what you pay for.

I could see maybe a SLIGHT change, but nothing dramatic.

I got quite a bit jump by having Qwest come into my house and placing a filter right at where the line comes in the house.

Since my signal was already really weak, it made the DSL signal come down only one clean line in my house to my modem rather than going to all the phones and crap that cause interference.

I just checked on the website...currently 3mb "Pro" is the quickest connection they offer in my area, which is what I get. Their 6mb "Elite" package must be what they're upgrading to allow. Sound about right?

I got quite a bit jump by having Qwest come into my house and placing a filter right at where the line comes in the house.

Since my signal was already really weak, it made the DSL signal come down only one clean line in my house to my modem rather than going to all the phones and crap that cause interference.

That's a splitter I believe, not really a filter. They split the data and voice lines at the outside box.

I just checked on the website...currently 3mb "Pro" is the quickest connection they offer in my area, which is what I get. Their 6mb "Elite" package must be what they're upgrading to allow. Sound about right?

They may be installing U-Verse in your area, which is a combination of fiber optic TV and DSL internet. Why they don't allow us to use the fiber for internet instead of TV is beyond me.