Will my tires kill me?

M_Bolc

Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 1.2TFSI
I noticed this on my tires, mostly on the front ones, they were rotated a while back, and the rears have no such signs.
Llantas%20006.jpg

Llantas%20001.jpg

Llantas%20005.jpg

Llantas%20002.jpg

Llantas%20004.jpg

Basically there are little chunks missing from the outer tread, the tires have 31.000km on them, and are from March '07. I don't drive fast, or on gravel, just normal tarmac.
I live in the tropics so no extreme temperatures, just a lot of rain.

My car used to do the same thing, and it turns out it needed an alignment and other assorted front end work...

No, I don't *think* your tires would kill you, but with tires, you never know... G'luck.

Oh, I forgot. The alignment was checked as soon as I noticed this, and it's fine. The tires are Dunlop SP Sport 2000E's, built in Germany.

Based on what you photographed, probably not, your driving is more likely to kill you than your tires if you are an aggressive driver. If youre not an aggressive driver than another driver in their car is more likely to kill you than your tires.

Looks like you ran over something you shouldn't have run over. As long as that's just surface damage you should be fine.

If my dad had those, he'd be amazed at how much tread is on them. He's driven over 600 miles with belts showing along that same line of damage yours have. Just make sure to keep a spare, and if anything starts to feel off at all, pull over and check it.

Might as well change them, tires are cheap insurance.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA6MUlVNkLM&feature=channel_page[/YOUTUBE]

yaeh, replace those puppies.
But I'm curious as to what caused that damage, it has to be either from real hard driving (locking the wheels under braking?) or driving over a really rough surface.

doesnt look like theres much tread left either, so I'd replace them.
If it still is happening with new tyres, your CAR is trying to kill your tyres, which may in turn end up killing you.

It's not uncommon to see chunking like that on German-made Dunlops/Goodyears. It must be something to do with the rubber they use, because they look and feel different to tyres made elsewhere. Perhaps it's a softer compound?

I wouldn't worry about it unless the chunks coming out are really big, although as others have said they do look worn out. Time for a new set I reckon ;)

I used to have these Dunlops myself, as they come standart with my car. I'd advise you to get rid of them, they're awful tyres anyway...
I've got Hankook Ventus Sports now, and I'm very happy with them.

Like others have said, the chunks coming off I'd not be so worried about - that happens sometimes, and it looks like the chunks aren't very big.

That said, it looks like you should be starting to think about changing your tires based on the wear. I wouldn't worry excessively about it, but it looks like it's about time for a new set.

Yeah, I know they're a bit worn, but I was budgeting the change around Feb-March. Appart from my mom, only I drive the car, and reading the fuel economy after she drives it, she's not doing the damage, neither am I.

If its a case of German Dunlops/Goodyears, I'll just avoid the damn things! I prefer longer life than grip...

^well good fuel economy doesn't mean it's been driven carefully. Maybe your mom never slows down for any corners, which could explain the tyres coming apart...

Looks like you should be able to get to Feb-March ok.

If you're looking for a good, long-wearing tire, the Fuzion HRi is actually pretty good. I have a set on my car right now - not the best performance tire (in fact, they're getting dropped for Falken Ziex's when they wear out), but they've lasted a surprisingly long time.

I'll get some locally produced Firestone F-590, I used to have them on my first car, they lasted a long time, help the local economy, and come with a 2 year warranty and roadside assistance for one year.

The other option are locally produced Bridgestone Pontenzas, are they any good?