Autoblog: Will the next Holden Commodore go front-wheel drive?

We measure our carbon emissions in hogs heads.

The US doesnt understand what a "gram" is but their CAFE regulations demand 39 MPG cars from 2016, which I have to say is surprisingly good considering.

BS, we Yanks totally know what a "gram" is:

golden-grahams.jpg

:p

I remember when it was :lol:
I would be worried if I had to pay 8 for fuel if I drove something that needed an excess of 10l/100km, which is around the ballpark I expect to end up in if Holden says "8.4". Australias record is pretty abysmal, the average new car sold in Autralia in 2010 is a 200g/km car, compared to 145 in Europe and 130 in Japan. If we include only cars made in Australia, the figure is even higher. The US is the worst, but not twice as bad as Australia as one might expect with half the gas price, they come in at 255g. But the key difference is that the EU, Japan, China and the US have all set mandatory emission targets. In the EU that target is 120g/km in 2015, and manufacturers are already beating the projections (as expected with heavy fines for each gram exceeding the limit). The US doesnt understand what a "gram" is but their CAFE regulations demand 39 MPG cars from 2016, which I have to say is surprisingly good considering. Meanwhile Australia doesnt have an mandatory emissions target at all.

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/australia-lags-behind-on-emission-control-20100618-ym1w.html
http://www.euractiv.com/en/transport/eu-clinches-deal-co2-emissions-cars/article-177675

Our cars weigh so much because they have to built cheaply from cheap materials in order to get people to buy them.

@rickhamilton: That looks delicious! I'm sad to say I have not seen it in stores. We need food replicators. I've been going over the latest sales (august) figures from GM and it seems Holden have managed to shift 43406 units made in Australia so far this year, and I wonder how that can be profitable. Suppose they sell another 30k units for the rest of the year, that gives us ~75 000 vehicles. Maybe they (along with their former colleagues at SAAB) know some secret.

I gave up trying to find "Australian Ford" sales figures at the Ford Corporate site. But Holden is the larger player I'm told by the internet.

Last edited:
@rickhamilton: That looks delicious! I'm sad to say I have not seen it in stores. We need food replicators. I've been going over the latest sales (august) figures from GM and it seems Holden have managed to shift 43406 units made in Australia so far this year, and I wonder how that can be profitable. Suppose they sell another 30k units for the rest of the year, that gives us ~75 000 vehicles. Maybe they (along with their former colleagues at SAAB) know some secret.

I gave up trying to find "Australian Ford" sales figures at the Ford Corporate site. But Holden is the larger player I'm told by the internet.
In terms of Australian made cars, Ford is second to Holden as far as I know, and then Toyota third.

According to VFACTS, 90,580 "large" segment cars were sold YTD in 2010.

Edit: Also, 226,436 Australian-made cars were sold YTD in 2010, so that includes Ford, Holden and Toyota.

Last edited:
I wonder if Super Epsilon II is able to go RWD and nobody realizes it. Why? Some of the models that are proposed for it - this, Cadillac XTS - don't work in FWD.

Or GM is 'tarded. The latter is more likely.
GM has been 'tarded like that for years. I know the current SRX is FWD, and a lot of their land yachts in the 80s were FWD. It wouldn't be anything new if they made a FWD XRS--it'd just mean Caddy was up to some old lame habits. :(

I still don't think they could survive in Australia (unless they feel like being some kind of Chrysler-like fleet queen) with a FWD Commodore. That's their flagship car. The fanboys would get stabby.