will there be top gear after Jeremy?

rafa31181

Car(s)
GM small hatchback
I know the show as a whole is magnificent but i think that what really draws me to tg is Jeremy. Tg has evolved a lot over the years, the music, the trips, the challenges, the special effects and everything...but i still love watching the old episodes when none of these things where on the show back in 2003 for example. And it is all due to Jeremy's humour, his courage to say whatever comes to his mind no matter what. He's the only one out of the three to be so unique, so, I repeat my initial question, will there be Top Gear after Jeremy?

They've talked about in some interviews I think. They would keep going if any of them dies. But they would talk about it on the show kind of like the Dacia Sandero joke.

"Jeremy Clarkson has died.... Anyways."

That's always been the joke, true. However, when it looked like it might be possibility when Richard had his accident, the unanimous decision was "If he can't come back to the show, there's no show". How much of that is true and how much was for Richard's book, I don't know...

If any one quits I think they all will.

However, if they would be replaced as presenters one day, I am sure they will stay in the background (either as producers, script writers etc.) so it still would be their show.

That's always been the joke, true. However, when it looked like it might be possibility when Richard had his accident, the unanimous decision was "If he can't come back to the show, there's no show". How much of that is true and how much was for Richard's book, I don't know...

Don't think it was just for the book... Jeremy, James and Andy have all said in separate interviews that if Richard hadn't been able to return then TG would have ended. 'We're mates as well as colleagues and it just wouldn't be the same' - was James' actual quote.

IMO they have agreed to see it through to whatever conclusion it comes to as a threesome and then this version will end.

I may be unpopular in saying this but Jeremy is the weak link, overbearing, unfunny, over-opinionated, and as predictable as christmas. If he says "gentlemans sausage" one more time I will burn my TV. His written stuff is formulaic too. I'll take Chris Evans instead, less scripts, more bangers and no SIARPC. Now that, to me, would be fantastic :)

I may be unpopular in saying this but Jeremy is the weak link, overbearing, unfunny, over-opinionated, and as predictable as christmas. If he says "gentlemans sausage" one more time I will burn my TV. His written stuff is formulaic too. I'll take Chris Evans instead, less scripts, more bangers and no SIARPC. Now that, to me, would be fantastic :)

I don't agree as far as jeremy is concerned but I do agree that when the day comes, Chis Evans could be a good replacement for him. Although he might not be as bombastic as Jeremy, he has an intelligent sense of humour that would add to the show and he has the advantage (some may see it as an advantage) of being more sensitive when giving his opinions.
That being said, the show will never be the same without Jeremy.

Don't think it was just for the book... Jeremy, James and Andy have all said in separate interviews that if Richard hadn't been able to return then TG would have ended. 'We're mates as well as colleagues and it just wouldn't be the same' - was James' actual quote.

IMO they have agreed to see it through to whatever conclusion it comes to as a threesome and then this version will end.

I rather suspected that it wasn't just for the book (since it would be so easy for any of them to say "That's bollocks" ;) ). I wasn't watching the show at the time, so I missed some of the 'at the time' reactions.

I think there will be a tg after the boys go but it will be very different with new presenters. The trouble is that Jeremy can say almost anything he pleases because he is such a funny looking person, I cannot imagine Chis Evans for example saying half what Jeremy does because people would take it more seriously. Thats why neither James nor Richard can say things like what Jeremy says.

I don't think it's necessarily Jeremy's looks that allow him to get away with whatever he says...it's his personality. He's loud & brash and most people know he's just spouting off when he says things. The others might not get away with saying the same stuff because that's not how they're perceived by the public.

Which does make me wonder.... Had Jeremy made the Mexican comments that Richard did, would there have been as much of a backlash?

The reason Jeremy can say whatever he likes (within reason) is because he has done so for a very long time and it is "within the audience's expectations for him and the show". Which is pretty much the argument the BBC puts out everytime there is a complaint and is the reason OFCOM nearly always side with TG and the beeb.

I don't think it's necessarily Jeremy's looks that allow him to get away with whatever he says...it's his personality. He's loud & brash and most people know he's just spouting off when he says things. The others might not get away with saying the same stuff because that's not how they're perceived by the public.

Which does make me wonder.... Had Jeremy made the Mexican comments that Richard did, would there have been as much of a backlash?

I think your right, it's probably due to what people expect from Jeremy after all he's said his entire television carreer. But I still can't imagine a good looking guy saying the things Jeremy says and getting consistently away with it, not only does Jeremy get away with whatever he says, he also gets the approval of most people who hear or read it. I live in South america and my favorite special is the Bolivia-Chile one despite all the things he says about bolivia such as "cocaine country". I don't know, you may be right but I don't think I would've taken it so lightly if a good looking chap had said it instead. Maybe it's just me.

I think your right, it's probably due to what people expect from Jeremy after all he's said his entire television carreer. But I still can't imagine a good looking guy saying the things Jeremy says and getting consistently away with it, not only does Jeremy get away with whatever he says, he also gets the approval of most people who hear or read it. I live in South america and my favorite special is the Bolivia-Chile one despite all the things he says about bolivia such as "cocaine country". I don't know, you may be right but I don't think I would've taken it so lightly if a good looking chap had said it instead. Maybe it's just me.

To me, hearing a good looking/younger looking person saying the things Clarkson says would come off as extremely uneducated and ignorant. Even if it's true. I know banana's, pretty girls and nasty bugs are in South America, that's all. So having me say what the Clarkson said, even if I did research would anger a lot more people.

Please correct me if I have this totally wrong, but my understanding is that the relaunch of Top Gear, in its current incarnation, was spearheaded by Clarkson and Wilman, who later brought onboard Hammond and May. So whether TG goes on after Clarkson's departure would probably be determined by him and Wilman. My feeling is that if Clarkson goes, then May and Hammond would also depart, leaving the option of canning the show altogether or replacing all three presenters. If Wilman didn't feel like starting afresh with new presenters, he might choose end the show. I don't know if the BBC has the power to resurrect the show in that case.

How would Stephen Fry do as a replacement?

If Jeremy left TG, would you continue to watch if he, and possibly Hammond and May were all replaced? Personally, I'm might try, but I'd be spending too much time comparing the new guys to the old ones. So much would depend on how good the replacements were.

I think comparisons would be inevitable, if the current hosts were replaced. People compare the hosts of the other incarnations of TG to the UK version, whoever took over TGUK would have to be absolutely perfect to positively received.

If the current trio left, I think they'd almost have to do another reboot of the series, make it something different from the current version...it'd be easier to handle the transition, from a fan perspective.

Thought about these three as possible replacements, while it however a crazy thing to worry about.

- Chris Harris
- Steve Coogan
- Chris Evans

My thoughts were that they all have good senses of humor- but different senses of humor. They are all obsessed with cars, and have owned many. It would be wrong to try and find replacements that fit the current hosts, the show could only continue if it renewed itself and in a way, allow the old guys to fall into the pages of history.

Last edited:
How would Stephen Fry do as a replacement?

I like Fry, but he would make a terrible TG host. He would always be using new "gadgets" on his cars. The moment someone challenged his opinion he would break down into laughter then go into his "I'm in charge you pompous oaf," posture. I just get sick of his haughty attitude. Sometimes he just breaks down into fits, like when he couldn't admit that velcro wasn't called velcro.

No, I think he'd make a better FG host.

If they would replace the whole trio, they would have to be very careful with who they pick to replace them. It definitely should not be a new Jeremy, a new May and a new Hammond, but unique new roles. I feel like through the "exported" series they tried to cast Jeremies, Mays and Hammonds, and it doesn't work.