Will you boycott the show? I will.

Will you boycott the show? I will.

• Total voters

flapjack

Even after reading (only one side of the story??) on many news sites about Clarkson's release from Top Gear, it still doesn't rule out the fact that many people think what was done by the BBC was wrong, regardless of how Clarkson treated the Producer (or how the Producer treated him) who was supposed to produce food on numerous occasions for Clarkson, and clearly didn't for Clarkson from what I have found in just one article on the internet (Yahoo).

The Vote is simple; Pick either Yes or No

Will you Boycott the BBC show Top Gear?

I vote Yes. Regardless of ANY content they provide, they wrongfully released Clarkson. He should have been given therapy or something, and not fired. It was very unprofessional what the BBC had done. That show works with everyone as a whole. That show is now over, and will continue to be over even if the show airs for the next 100 years. I could not care less about it at this moment. You can't replace experience.

I will give the new Top Gear, whatever it turns out to be, a fair try. I like Clarkson a lot, but he knew he was on his last warning and acted like a spoiled brat. He needs a break from all the work (TG, TG Live, annual dvds, books, etc) anyway.

I will give the new Top Gear, whatever it turns out to be, a fair try. I like Clarkson a lot, but he knew he was on his last warning and acted like a spoiled brat. He needs a break from all the work (TG, TG Live, annual dvds, books, etc) anyway.

I disagree. There's only one side of the story released (by the BBC). No one just goes on a punching rampage for no reason. Clearly there was provocation and everyone is hiding it.

Last edited:
Life goes on. It's just kind of ridiculous to "boycott" a television show just because the network won't renew a star's contract after such a violent outburst, after so many previous transgressions, and so on. I'll watch a new Top Gear presuming that we'll have more of them in the future, and if it's interesting enough, I'll keep watching. If the new Top Gear will include May and Hammond, so much the better, but if it doesn't, I'll still give the new show a fair chance to prove itself.

Meanwhile, I'll continue watching anything that Clarkson and May might come out with individually -- Hammond, perhaps not so much. I have really enjoyed everything that May and Clarkson have done individually, while most of Hammond's stuff really hasn't grabbed me very well. I would love to see more of James and Oz Clarke doing just about anything, more episodes of the same series that James has done in the past, more Clarkson war stories, and so on. And presuming that BBC America will continue running Top Gear reruns like they always have, I'm like a little kid in that regard, as I can just watch those over and over and over again, and be plenty happy with them.

Life goes on. It's just kind of ridiculous to "boycott" a television show just because the network won't renew a star's contract after such a violent outburst, after so many previous transgressions, and so on. I'll watch a new Top Gear presuming that we'll have more of them in the future, and if it's interesting enough, I'll keep watching. If the new Top Gear will include May and Hammond, so much the better, but if it doesn't, I'll still give the new show a fair chance to prove itself.

Meanwhile, I'll continue watching anything that Clarkson and May might come out with individually -- Hammond, perhaps not so much. I have really enjoyed everything that May and Clarkson have done individually, while most of Hammond's stuff really hasn't grabbed me very well. I would love to see more of James and Oz Clarke doing just about anything, more episodes of the same series that James has done in the past, more Clarkson war stories, and so on. And presuming that BBC America will continue running Top Gear reruns like they always have, I'm like a little kid in that regard, as I can just watch those over and over and over again, and be plenty happy with them.

I don't think you realize what happened. He was fired from the BBC. Has nothing to do with renewing. Those individual videos were BBC related. He's done..and that show works with everyone together as a whole. Now it's just ridiculous if I believe the rumours on who is going to replace him.

Last edited:

This.

I disagree. There's only one side of the story released (by the BBC). No one just goes on a punching rampage for no reason. Clearly there was provocation and everyone is hiding it.

Don't be a fool. The BBC statement is based on an internal disciplinary investigation which gathered statements from both parties and a number of witnesses. Clarkson had a hissy fit under the influence of alcohol when he didn't get his own way. If it had just been a tantrum then fine but once he landed that punch he left the BBC with no option.

I can't say whether I will watch it or not, but I won't necessarily boycott it. I think the BBC did what they had to do. Jeremy needs to learn how to deal with his problems, he probably needs councelling to deal with his substance abuse and anger issues. You can't just let an employee punch another and get away with it, and he knew he was on thin ice.

Also, for how much he gets paid, he should figure out how to feed himself. He managed to get drunk afterall.

I'm not sure boycott is the right word, but I certainly won't spend any bandwidth downloading it.
Until Jezza is back with a new show, I will continue following Chris Harris and Matt Farrah on Youtube for car related videos.

Last edited:
As I said in the other thread, the BBC would be imbeciles if they decided not to continue with Top Gear in one way or another. I will support their decision to continue and would strongly advocate against any form of boycot, if only for the hundreds of jobs that Top Gear provides.

Will it still be 'Top Gear' to me? No. But then again there was a Top Gear before the trio Clarkson, Hammond and May. And I certainly hope we will be able to enjoy their work in the future, perhaps on an other channel and in a different format.

I'm not going to actively boycott anything, but at the same time I'm not interested in car shows on telly much, there's YouTube for that and they do it much better. Also, they will try and mimic the boys, in a painful and embarrassing way. I'm just not interested.

Besides, it'll lack the production value and as such will drop down to generic car show standards really quickly.

Don't be a fool. The BBC statement is based on an internal disciplinary investigation which gathered statements from both parties and a number of witnesses. Clarkson had a hissy fit under the influence of alcohol when he didn't get his own way. If it had just been a tantrum then fine but once he landed that punch he left the BBC with no option.

It's BS. One side of the story. That's what you're reading. And in today's climate of unemployment do you actually think a bunch of kids out of school are going to not be bullied by the BBC, or be cohesive with one another? Come on man. I'm not the one with my head in the sand here. Clearly you are. It's too obvious. When that man years ago said things about Clarkson, Clarkson knocked him in the head, and for good reason. There's no way he would do this without just cause. Not a chance. On top of that, if there was absolutely no provocation with or without alcohol, then clearly he shouldn't have been fired, and instead was given a leave of absence and had to check into rehab like previously mentioned by other people in the community.

By the way, 'hissy fit' and all the other comments such as 'spoiled brat' and the like are media driven. So excuse me while I look at your comment with heavy bias.

And Yes, clearly I am going to still Boycott the show. I will not give it a chance. BBC screwed up with their unprofessional act, and by me not watching it is sticking it to them...and I believe over a million people would agree. If on the other hand another network ran a new Top Gear or another titled automotive show with the existing team, then Yes I would watch. But not a BBC related Top Gear program with the team swapped out and/or fired...no way.

By the way, have you ever watched other iterations of Top Gear around the globe? It's cringe worthy. If you want to watch cringe worthy BBC Top Gear then flick on the first series of Top Gear then that's what you are in for but without Clarkson.

Last edited:
It's too early to say how one should react as we haven't found our way through Dr Elisabeth Kubla-Khan's Five Stages of Grief hierarchy, which is essentially:
1. Denial.
2. Denial.
3. Denial.
4. Oh shit.
5. Too late now.

Last edited:
It does not matter whether Clarkson was given a mighty provocation or not, he *did* admit to assaulting a BBC employee and inflicted an injury requiring medical attention from an outside source, and he did it with witnesses present. Even though he did try to apologize, the damage was done.

Whether or not you want to believe it, people *do* stupid things with causes they believe to be just -- at the time. JC may have had a bad day, he may have blamed the producer for not ensuring that his needs were attended to, but once he started getting into throwing verbal abuse, which by the way he does not deny, that was it. Goose cooked, even though he was wanting steak.

I'm sure JC is having a good long think about what to do next. He won't be hurting for work; he still has his Times columns, and he can earn more money from his column collections. But as far as television goes, he may decide he'll need to do some form of penitence before any network executive goes near him -- especially if this upcoming police investigation goes badly.

As for Top Gear -- no, I will not boycott it. It's the BBC's property, and it will be very, very difficult to replicate the onscreen chemistry of the presenters, but I for one will not deny them that chance. If you try to tie TG to CHM, you are effectively giving it a death sentence, and that's not what CHM had in mind.

Please leave, you're making us look bad.

Seconded.

It does not matter whether Clarkson was given a mighty provocation or not, he *did* admit to assaulting a BBC employee and inflicted an injury requiring medical attention from an outside source, and he did it with witnesses present. Even though he did try to apologize, the damage was done.

Whether or not you want to believe it, people *do* stupid things with causes they believe to be just -- at the time. JC may have had a bad day, he may have blamed the producer for not ensuring that his needs were attended to, but once he started getting into throwing verbal abuse, which by the way he does not deny, that was it. Goose cooked, even though he was wanting steak.

I'm sure JC is having a good long think about what to do next. He won't be hurting for work; he still has his Times columns, and he can earn more money from his column collections. But as far as television goes, he may decide he'll need to do some form of penitence before any network executive goes near him -- especially if this upcoming police investigation goes badly.

As for Top Gear -- no, I will not boycott it. It's the BBC's property, and it will be very, very difficult to replicate the onscreen chemistry of the presenters, but I for one will not deny them that chance. If you try to tie TG to CHM, you are effectively giving it a death sentence, and that's not what CHM had in mind.

Reason rather than knee jerk thinking. Thank you.

To my mind all these people who are saying "it won't be TG without JC" and trolling the poor bastard who got thumped and laying the show's demise at his door are probably, in part at least, the nouveau fans who only started watching AD (after dragster) and who have sustained the show on it's path to silliness and overly scripted and badly acted fail.

Top Gear existed before and it will continue in some guise afterwards but why be so narrow-minded as to write it off before you have a chance to see how it might evolve?

I'll give it a shot, but I'm not expecting it to be the same...it obviously can't be. It might be better, might be worse, can't say without seeing it.

As for the comments about what brought about this situation...

There's no way he would do this without just cause. Not a chance.

Yes there is, people fly off the handle with little or no provocation all of the time. It's where the expression about straws and camel's backs comes from. Jeremy's had a bad year, it could have taken next to nothing to push him over the edge on this particular day. None of us were there, we have no way of knowing exactly what happened. I don't agree that his reaction was justified, though.

I don't think you realize what happened. He was fired from the BBC. Has nothing to do with renewing

The BBC's actual words were that they were not renewing his contract.

I'm not going to flat out boycott it, but I'm just not going to watch. The big reason I've been watching has been the chemistry between the presenters that no other show has been able to duplicate. I've tried watching TG:US, TG:AUS and FG and I just couldn't care less about them. This holds true even with podcasts, I only listen to Hooniverse podcast because I like the interactions between the hosts. I've given Smoking Tire, Autoblog and a few others a go and meh.

I don't think you realize what happened. He was fired from the BBC.

No, he wasn't. The media is saying fired because it's a juicier headline.

Tony Hall said:
It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract.

If the other 2 and Andy decide to stay, they will loose much, if not all of my respect, not as talented TV makers, but as people and men, regardless I would still watch it and give it a fair try just to see what they can come up with as TV makers, not to mention they could not care less about my opinion of them.

If they all bail, then TopGear as we know it is dead anyway, and I could not care less what the beeb comes up with, after the pathetic display this last year it is clear they are a station run by cowards and people who ride ethnic peace bicycles, and I am snow in August.

Last edited: