Will you boycott the show? I will.

Will you boycott the show? I will.

• Total voters
What did Richard say? Have a link to a quote or interview?

Neither have said anything definitively, it's all been mostly assumed.
Richard tweeted about the end of an era but he could just be talking about Clarkson and James May said it's something that requires carful consideration which means he could potentially stay if it sounded like there was a solid plan for the future of the show which included him.

Apparently there was a secret meeting between the 3 presenters and Andy Wilman recently but because it was a secret meeting we don't know if they were talking about plans or seeing if Clarkson wouldn't mind them continuing on without them for the time being or what sort of plans they were discussing.
Maybe May and Hammond continue with the Television program and the 3 of them continue on with Top Gear Live, who knows.
Jeremy has said (although probably in jest) that he'd like to get rid of the television show and just do Top Gear Live.

Last edited:
Since both James and Richard said they won't continue without Jeremy, whatever show the BBC will make will be 'not Top Gear'. So no point in boycotting it....

Actually, they didn't outright say that at all.

All JM said was that CHM was a "package deal." A "package deal" does *not* mean the components aren't available separately.

JM did not explicitly say that "No, I will not work for Top Gear if Jeremy isn't there as well." For one thing, his agent would throttle him. For another, quitting a show because one presenter is dropped would imply a lack of confidence in one's own abilities as an independent performer. For a third, quitting would imply a sympathy for JC's actions and consequences, which would be fatal for future employment in TV right now.

Like it or not, the powers-that-be at the BBC who support continuing Top Gear would consider the best-case scenario as having JM, RH or both continuing for at least one series, with Wilman continuing as producer. The format will necessarily change (no SIARPC) and JM's statement as a "package deal" should be read as a lowering of expectations, that TG without Clarkson, even with Hammond and May, would not garner the same level of ratings as before.

The best case scenario does mean that the production team will have to step up to the plate to match JC's output as one of the show's writers. However, they've had 10+ years of close observation of JC to know the types of scenarios he would think of that would generate views, which would be lacking in a completely green production team.

Some fans might make a big deal of "loyalty to Clarkson," but the sad fact of the matter is that TG *cannot* afford that sort of loyalty; it doesn't put food on the table, and it locks things into stagnation.

I voted no simply for the fact you need to at least see the new version once to make decision as comparing what will come to what will be is impossible, personally I see a complete new team as I honestly think that May and Hammond will go elsewhere with Clarkson, if they do a good job then I may watch regularly when they don't then I will stop.

Well, for me, yes, I will boycott the show.

First of all, for me, Top Gear would never be as success as today if it wasn't for Jeremy--and of course Hammond and May. Well, if sometimes he was a bit 'silly', I think, it is because of us. I mean, that what the audiences want after all, isn't it? Will you watch a straight, flat, and dull show? Well, I won't for sure. After all, what he'd been done is to entertain us, right?

Secondly, to be honest, I'm a bit curious about what was going on that day. I mean, just a late catering? Are you sure? Well, again, I'm not sure if that's the only reason. There should be series of critical things happen before such a action being committed. They should publicly and fairly publish the report of this incident.

The last is, the three masterpiece of entertainment will be somehow imbalance if one of them is being separated. It just won't work.

What left from me is, if it isn't possible to make Jeremy back to top gear, I hope they will make another project that similar to this show, netflix maybe?

I know that I'm both new to the forum and in the minority, but...

I quit watching Top Gear because of Clarkson. I just couldn't stomach his attitude and childishness.

Now I'll be back watching.

SL

Last edited:
No, I won't boycott it.

I felt the series got a bit stale after 19 with maybe one or two good challenges. A fresh new face (or faces) would likely put it in a new direction and I would be fine with that. I trust the crew to find a person or people who can have good chemistry and humor. It might be a rough start, but if how far the show has come since its first series with Dawe and then May replacing him is any sign, it can find its bearings again. I know it can.

I only voted yes because the only reason why I even watched the show for the past 10 or so series is the chemistry of the 3 mates. It wasn't a car show much anymore so that never factored in my decision as I only consider it entertainment that just happens to have automobiles in it. I'm pretty irritated that this escalated this way and had this outcome. I do finally have a certain enjoyment from Top Gear US so I'll watch that until it gets cancelled in a few years (shows do not last long in America). But Top Gear UK without all three presenters? Most likely I won't watch it. I found it difficult to watch any other car show outside of TG USA and TG AUS. Fifth Gear wasn't relevant enough and seemed too stale overall. Having said that I did enjoy Tom Ford and Johnny on FG so maybe we can get lucky and those two blokes can get on board with Hammond if he stays. I may give TG UK a try if any combination of May, Hammond, Ford, and Johnny Smith exist. Doubtful the Beeb will do that thought as I feel they are going to have their own agenda casting new presenters.

Lastly, you know I have a unique perspective here, I have actually been on the other end of workplace violence myself. A former employee of mine about 10 years ago decided he didn't like me giving him orders to clean the stockroom and when I mentioned being insubordinate would lead to a write up he punched me. And you know what I was very angry but I didn't fire him. I instead scheduled a meeting the next day with my boss and him so we could discuss this like adults and I think that is what this was obviously missing. A "Last" warning or not I do not believe Clarkson needed to lose his job over this. I would also consider Clarkson a good (former) employee for the BBC simply because now the world is aware of not only Top Gear but other shows from that network simply by association. The revenue that show generated for the BBC under some of Clarkson's direction should not be discounted. This smells of politics and disdain for Clarkson personally by certain Beeb members and it smells rotten. I hope May and Hammond decide to move on whether that is entirely from this genre or to another show of a similar type because the BBC doesn't deserve their talent and star recognition.

RIP Top Gear UK, it has been a real treat watching you over a decade. Have a good day everyone. :)

I won't boycott it, but there is a strong likelihood that I won't watch it. Boycotting means I'm trying to make a point by not watching. More likely, I won't watch it because I just won't care. I'll give it a shot, but even with the current hosts, I just haven't been excited for the last couple seasons.

I want boycott it either but I won't go out of my way to keep up with it like I did. I'm starting to enjoy the youtube stuff like Chris Harris, Petrolicious, XCAR, TheSmokingTire, etc. I enjoyed Top Gear because I enjoyed listening and watching Clarkson and May the car stuff was secondary.

I won't boycott it, but there is a strong likelihood that I won't watch it. Boycotting means I'm trying to make a point by not watching. More likely, I won't watch it because I just won't care. I'll give it a shot, but even with the current hosts, I just haven't been excited for the last couple seasons.

Pretty much this, save for the last season being a return to form at least in my opinion.

"Is it really a boycott if I wasn't going to buy/use/view their product in the first place?"

Last edited:
I have a feeling I'll be "boycotting" it the same way I'm "boycotting" TG:US, TG:AUS, The Nightly Show, Late Night with Seth Meyers...by giving it a fair shot, and then ultimately deciding I don't like it enough it's not worth my time.

Top Gear without the Big 3 + Wilman will be utter rubbish, and not only that but they won't have enough time to prepare a new series or develop entertaining chemistry. I can't see anyone worth a damn being involved with the tainted Top Gear gig so yes...I will not watch.

To me, there's a difference between boycotting something and simply not watching it because you don't like it. Boycotting implies that your action will cause harm to the thing you're boycotting - such as refusing to buy something because you don't like the business practices of the seller. If you're not watching the show because you think it'll suck, or because you're ticked off at what has happened, you're just not watching the show.* Refusing to buy any merchandise related to the show, that would be a better boycott.

* My opinion, of course, your mileage may vary...

Anything new the BBC put out won't be worth watching anyway. The only reason Top Gear was so good was Clarkson's writing and imagination.

I've been boycotting the licence fee for the last 15 years anyway. The sooner the BBC are thrown to the wolves of the free-market the better and frankly I don't think much of people who pay it.

I'm rather surprised how big the "Yes to boycott" camp is.

Yeah but I'm willing to bet one of my 6 daily servings of bacon that the moment something even slightly TopGearistical appear on TV they'll be the first ones to watch.

Except it likely won't be from the BBC, home of the uber politically correct and inoffensive-to-their-leftist-sacred-cows programming.

I voted Yes, but just to clarify it's not a boycott at all. I'm simply no longer interested in whatever comes next bearing the same logo. It'd be kinda like watching The Twilight Zone w/o Rod Serling, it's just not the same thing nor a thing I would enjoy.