Wilman says it, we should have quit two years ago

Fact is with that many fans, you can never produce anything that pleases everyone, and those who are not thrilled are usually the most vocal.
Absolutely true! Yet, the difference in this case is that the fans who are vocal about the arguably fading qualities of the show were the ones who were raving about it in the earlier seasons.

Many many people on here have been watching Top Gear for a very long time, and overall the consensus (also from the FinalGear-internal episode ratings) seems to be that the show has dropped in quality. So it's not just a bunch of people voicing their disapproval.

Last edited:
Yes I agree the people's perception is that the show's quality has steadily "declined", but is it the show, or is it us?

I was disappointed by some episodes of last season, but when I had newbies watch it, they love it.
Then I show them the true "classics" for us Petroheads, and they said that it was about the same in quality.

These cars are still limited in what they can do. Powerslides, Races, Roadtrips. Just because they can't top the SLR to Oslo race, doesn't mean the quality is dropping. I mean, how many more exotic locales can you drive from London.

Another excellent point: can the show maintain quality without progressing? I say it can't, there needs to be some kind of progression to maintain their originality. Unfortunately, it is the direction they are heading which many people disapprove of.

The clowing around between buddies is what made this show stand out over other car programs in the first place. Problem is that the moment the clowing around became the purpose of the show, it stopped being a car program. That may be attractive for the non-petrolheads, but it certainly isn't for the petrolheads. And annoying the ones who originally enabled you to grow might be a dangerous game to play.

I mean, how many more exotic locales can you drive from London.

A good deal more than you can drive to from LA or NYC. ;)

I think what frosted me the most about S14 is that they have HD cameras now, and the cinematography fell.

I look at the Race to Monaco or the sunset outside Paris on the super car trip to the Millau Viaduct or JC's soliloquy at the end of Series 13 and think as beautiful they are in SD, how amazing they would be in HD.

Instead, we get dirt roads in Romania.

Last edited:
It's finally beginning to annoy me. I have no more hope for top gear, it's over. damn sellouts. ... May get your own car show!!

I imagine that a car show from May would resemble "Victory by Design." Which, is already awesome. I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

Last edited:
The first episode of this season was good. Very good. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Very good discussions here and excellent points.

We always expect one episode to be better than the last, races need to be bigger, crashes harder, comparos faster (plane, boat, Eurofighter). However ultimately it's still the interaction, silliness, and epic cinematography that draws us in.

I rather enjoyed today's episode despite the lack of "epic" bits. The Reliant Robin made me crack up so many times. This is the back-to-basic that truly shows the nature of this program.

You guys are all drug addicts. You have been slowly weaned on to cocaine and thought WOW this is great. Then came meth, you thought the high couldn't get better but it did and now you have forgotten how great cocaine was.

Its us, not the show.

Mr Wilman the show is still great.

I think it may be time for a new Producer? As much as hes awaseme, his hart just dosnt sceam in it when you read stuff like that :(

Remember we were speculating that they were bored a few series ago? Bingo.

Or Top Gear could go for another two years - end of the three lads contract - and then end. Maybe doing a couple of big 'special's a year but no regular series.

I'd hate to see it end as I still think it's brilliant, better than ever - but if their heart isn't in it then it should end.

I like the idea of a special or two per year, take a break from the series. Bring it back after a hiatus if they feel recharged.

How many new cars do we really get? In other words, how many times has TG reviewed the same car or a new version of an old car? Perhaps one big car review special and one big adventure per year.

Or do like Mythbusters and introduce a "B team" of lesser personalities into the mix and let them do the heavy lifting in the bulk of the normal episodes.

Its almost as if the horrible episodes that comprised season 14 were non-existent. They're just a blur in my head. I couldn't tell you what happened in them.

Two words: art museum <shudders>

Last edited:
Two more words: electric cars. (Bleck!)

Maybe it's time for them to sacrifice another caravan. ;)

Actually, I've watched several of the S14 eps again in their BBCA formats, and except for the annnoying music, I liked them somewhat better. Maybe because I saw details I missed the first time or was more relaxed about it- the expectation of the show topping everthing before it was gone and I could just enjoy.
However, I have purposely avoided the electric car ep. It was so foul that had it been used as part of the "junk shot" on the BP well, it'd be plugged by now.

Aww, thanks. I shouldn't try to be snarky in the morning, it usually doesn't go well.:?

Last edited: