Wimbledon 2010

Mercury

Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
With tonight's game (Isner vs Mahut) breaking almost every single-game record in tennis history I figured it deserved a thread.
As it stands right now it's 59-59 in the 5th set and has been stopped.
You can find all the info about that game here.

It's pure insanity this game and I'll just go ahead and steal Peter3hg's pic from the Random Thoughts thread cause it's pure gold ;)
2vklzeu.jpg

Last edited:
Holy shit. :jawdrop:

It's a shame that the winner of that match will probably be too exhausted to stand a chance in the next round.

I am absolutely lost for words on this one. The feat is remarkable just as is but the fact that I am an avid tennisfan and -player myself makes this even more astounding from my personal point of view. 10 hours, ONE match ?? 7 hours straight in one day ?? And the statistics alone are just insane...for example
Isner and Mahut have played a total of 163 games so far. It took Rafael Nadal 169 to win the entire French Open in 2008. The fifth set alone has lasted longer than any tennis match ever played. They have served a combined total of 192 aces (94 and 98 respectively). The previous record for most aces was a "mere" 77 by Ivo Karlovic. Both have hit way over 200 winners each, Mahut has 20 double faults, which is quite remarkable given the lenght of the match. Isner has 9.....yeah...

But then to top all that, the level of play has remained on a level that can only be described as phenomenal. They are still hitting first serves in the 120's, Isner looked as if he will collapse any moment now and yet he kept ripping forehand winners at will. And Mahut......his personal trainer has to be the most sought after guy after this tournament, because the Frenchman looked as if he was just warming up. There has been *TWO* breaks of serve....just....two....Isner has held 4 match points, last of them came at the lat game 58-59...Mahut replied with an ace. Incredible. And some people still tend to think tennis is for pussies and not a sport for real athletes....yeah well.....I would pay money to hear say that now. I especially loved John McEnroe's comments and comparisons to soccer: "They play for what, 90 minutes, MAYBE 15+15 overtime and then they have a shootout !! There are 22 of them !! And they have substitutes!!"

And even moreso JohnnyMacs wished all the best for the French national football team with the kind words "Take a look at Mahut and now take a look at what you have done for your country over the past five days"

I am absolutely overwhelmed by all this and it will take some time to sink in, as a whole what these two players...no...gladiators have achieved. And most importantly....it's not even over yet. After 10 hours they can't find a difference of 2 games between each other. After 10 hours they stil have to keep playing. After 7 hours of continuous play yesterday they were still standing. Simply awesome, that is all I can say.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/br/brothermichael/2010/06/24/Isner_-_Mahut.jpg

P.S. for the OP - It's spelled Wimbledon

Last edited:
Well it's about to start, I predict the biggest anti climax ever. I do hope it reaches tripple digits though, since the equipment can't show tripple digit sets :p.

EDIT: Mahut looks about 100x fresher.

Last edited:
i get the strong impression i'll not see something like this again in my life-time.

i get the strong impression i'll not see something like this again in my life-time.

I don't know if my grandkids will see something like that...

It was great to watch this game and it really took the sting out of Italy's game. By the closing games I was actually rooting for Mahut cause he just seemed like he wanted it more and looked a lot fresher but in that last game Isner put his whole self into it and won it. Brilliant game, brilliant record.

What an incredible feat. Hats off to both players, their endurance is unquestioned.

24 hours of Lemans may seem demanding, but the drivers are sitting in a chair and are limited to 4 hour stints. To play for the length of time these two did...it is astounding. I'm a tennis player, and I know how tiring just one hour of a fast-paced match can be.

I hope France's football team was watching.

Nadal won in 5 sets. Phew.

I would be disappointed if he lost so early. However after a 5 set match I dunno if he's going to be in good condition for his next match.

*checks Wimbledon*

Aight who's Paul Henri Mathieu? Is he even ranked?

He is French. Ranked 63rd currently. Highest finish at wimbledon was 4th place. Nadal should have no problem against him.

So Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Murray all won 3-0...Successful day for the top ranks.

Roddick got booted by an unknown (at least to me) Taiwanese dude which was very surprising to me...His serves usually serve him very well in Wimbledon though I guess that wasn't what failed him cause the other guy only broke his serves once...at Match point.

I was pretty surprised by Soderling having so much trouble with Ferrer, yes the spaniard is a very good player but on Wimbledon's grass and with Soderling's performances prior to this game I thought he'd walk all over Ferrer...Turned out to be a 5 set thriller with momentums changing every few games.

Was a fun day.

Murray has cruised through very easily so far.
This inevitably means he will crash and burn at an unexpected moment.

go kim!!! :p

EDIT: and she lost :(

Last edited:
Federer is a little whiny bitch.