'Win a Divorce'

powah

Zoo Weekly is inviting men to explain why they deserve an expenses paid split from their partner, promising to take care of it all for the winner - from the legal costs to hooking up the "lucky" bloke
with new women.
"The idea is we're going to try to get this guy out back on the scene and try to set him up with some more suitable girlfriends to have a good time," the Australian magazine's editor Paul Merrill said.
"When a marriage fails it's always sad but what's even sadder is being stuck under the same roof as someone who's shagged your best mate or something.
"This is hopefully going to encourage people to see the error of their ways and get out rather than put up with 40 years of misery."
Asked if the competition could be viewed as encouraging divorce, Merrill said: "You'd have to be pretty nutty to enter a competition to win a divorce if you're happily married".
Zoo Weekly drew widespread criticism from academics and plastic surgeons last year when it offered readers a chance to win their girlfriends a boob job by sending in shots of her cleavage.
The competition was branded unethical, inappropriate and in poor taste.
Oh, and the winner gets:
A divorce
$5000
A Playstation 3
A new TV
And a party with some girls.

Har har.

You know what, I don't understand why people keep getting married these days.

Maybe it's just that I've never been in love, but seeing as how all you hear now is how hard marriage is, and how most of them either end in divorce or a dysfunctional relationship, I'd personally be skeptical to get married myself.

I also have some first-hand experience so it's safe to say I'm pretty jaded when it comes to marriage or even love.

So where do I sign up?

No, seriously - I doubt my story is sad enough to win, but what the hell.

Last edited:

Maybe it's just that I've never been in love, but seeing as how all you hear now is how hard marriage is, and how most of them either end in divorce or a dysfunctional relationship, I'd personally be skeptical to get married myself.

I also have some first-hand experience so it's safe to say I'm pretty jaded when it comes to marriage or even love.

Well, as a newly married guy (just 1 year), allow me to elaborate.
What if you love a girl enough that you know you want to spend the rest of your life with her? thats no reason to get married alone, but all the administration and paperwork is so much easier when you're husband and wife, as opposed to bf and gf.

Yes, marriage can be hard at times, but oh so rewarding at other times.

So where do I sign up?

Get Zoo.

Also an excuse to have a look at the airbrushed boobies in there.

/Boobies FTW.
//Lots of boobies in Underbelly.
///And sex.

So where do I sign up?

Haven't you already had the divorce though? :confused:

I thought you mentioned it before and that's all

Turns out you can enter on the website - unfortunately the terms & conditions include:
Zoo said:
Both the entrant and the entrants spouse will be contacted by ZOO Weekly, to confirm the entry into the competition and check each party involved (husband and wife) are happy to participate in the competition

Bah! She'd never go for it.

Haven't you already had the divorce though?

The seperation yes, the divorce no - you have to be separated for twelve months first.

Reading through the terms & conditions I noticed they've also had a 'Win a boob job' competition - nothing but class.

In fairness, you never hear about "happily married couple has 10th anniversary" in the news because it's dull. Stories about high-profile divorces and marital problems sell lots of copy.

Growing up, my sister and I were always a bit of an oddball because we were one of the few kids who's parent's were not divorced. Our parents were happily married for 30 years and would still be today if my dad hadn't passed away in 06 :cry:.

During that time they never had any fights, they had disagreemnts and arguments but nothing major. There was no "I hate my wife/husband", "Fuck you, I'm sleeping on the couch", infidelity, alcohol/drug use, or any other of this horrible shit you've heard couples go through. They were just two good people who were madly in love with each other.

I can only hope my future holds something similar.

Its a game - just learn the rules.

Exactly. Love is the easy part of the marriage, but it is the other things that you need long vision for to last 50 plus years. Myself I have been married for all of 4 years, but I could not imagine myself being with another person other than her; I think of her as a bottle of wine, she just gets better and better as the years passes. :wub:

Now see, I am the type who is committed to one person for a lifetime. I had my fun until the age of 25, slept with A LOT of girls, got it out of my system and decided to commit forever. That is my personality; I am extremely loyal and committed, not just in marriage but my whole being.
Not everyone is like that; some want to continually prowl, male or female. Sadly, they either are duped into marriage, think that marriage will cure them of that, or use marriage as a "home base" while they cheat on their spouses. The last one irritates the hell out of me.
The point is, if you cannot stay committed, do not go against your instincts. Be single and whoop it up; don't ruin it for another human being you supposedly love..

Growing up, my sister and I were always a bit of a oddball because we were one of the few kids who's parent's were not divorced. Our parents were happily married for 30 years and would still be today if my dad hadn't passed away in 06 :cry:.

Same here. As of March, my parents will be together for 48 years, my wife's parents for 38 years. Marriage is like alcoholism; you have to take it one day at a time, the good and the bad. :lol:

Jeez, I've run into about 28 metaphors for love in this thread alone. I think my head's about to :blowup:.

P.S. My parents have been married for 23 years, I couldn't imagine them separating for the world. :)

My parents have been married for over 20 years and they are still great together.

I'm not about to rush into marriage, but someday I may. I think a lot of people just get married out of tradition or because they think they need to.

People today need to learn that marriage isn't for everyone and if you don't want to be with this person forever then don't get married.

A big trap people also fall into is living together before marriage. There is nothing wrong with this, except that it tends to entangle every aspect of your life. After some time it seems easy to get married then to break up and move on. Even if not, it just becomes the next step and you feel compelled to do it.

During that time they never had any fights, they had disagreemnts and arguments but nothing major. There was no "I hate my wife/husband", "Fuck you, I'm sleeping on the couch", infidelity, alcohol/drug use, or any other of this horrible shit you've heard couples go through. They were just two good people who were madly in love with each other.

I can only hope my future holds something similar.

My parents have been married 25 years this year (they got married when mum was 19) dad's been working overseas for the last 4 years as well (they talk just about everyday)

Jeez, I've run into about 28 metaphors for love in this thread alone. I think my head's about to :blowup:.

P.S. My parents have been married for 23 years, I couldn't imagine them separating for the world. :)

Mine too! :eek: .... the 23 years...not the head blowing up :lol:

It's really funny because I was talking to my parents over the weekend and I needed some info from them because I had to fill out this form for school.

The form asked if my parents were divorced or dead or whatnot, and I was just mentioning it to my mom and said "yeah yeah divorced yea yea". She asks, for fun, "how do you know we're not divorced?" In turn I reply "Because I'd be chasing you both around right now trying to knock some sense into you" :p.

I think if you just discuss and argue out in the open instead of keeping everything bottled up until its too late to rectify matters then your marriage will last much longer. Then again I've never been married but I've watched couples fall to pieces over small little details and issues that never got resolved and just piled up until it was too late.

Parents have been together 25 years. They were told by many people that it wouldn't work as there is a 12 year age gap and my mum was only about 19 when they started going out. Their parents supported it though and they are still together.