Win7: Time Settings can not be changed due to Admin rights although I'm Admin..

idk

Car(s)
Hyundai i30N Performance
I have a problem with my gf's Laptop. Somehow I can not change any settings concerning time and date. There is a "shield" symbol and when I click on something, I get the message, that I don't have the proper rights. But it is an admin account. Strangely, the time I set in bios is different then the one displayed in windows.

E6j5t.png

Any idea why I do not have the fuckin' rights to change the time or how I can optain it???

Check for the usual suspects of malware and virii (this is the most common reason this appears). If you hadn't already, I would create at least one additional admin account right away just in case it's having auth problems with the existing account. (In fact, it's my standard operating procedure on new installs to create a second unused admin account ever since Vista because I've seen Windows Vista and 7 completely freak out and lock out the normal user for no apparent reason, let alone for infection or actual problems.)

Failing that, find the Datum und Uhrzeit control panel file (.cpl) on the hard drive, right click on it, hit the shift key and then select Run As Administrator. That should work - but chances are that this machine is infected.

Last edited:
The machine is definitely not infected. Windows itself is "frozen" with a tool. It doesn't matter what you do, after a reboot everything is the same than before. I had the same problem already a while ago, but I didn't spent to much time on it, because I could change it in the bios.

The problem comes only now, after the change from daylight saving time to winter time. Unfreezing doesn't help somehow. The hour is now one hour offset.

Anyway, yah I was already intending to open the panel "as admin" as you suggested. But where can I find it? I also googled, but no success. Where are the system panels located? The name will be the same as in the English version of Windows.

EDIT: I found it,but open as Admin doesn't change anything... :(

Last edited:
First off, although you may be an administrator, you are not the administrator. I would check your account settings to see what access you have.

As for running the control panel tool as administrator (the all access 500 account), you can find 'timedate.cpl' by typing it into the start menu search bar.

Oh, a fixed state/regenerator setup? Well, I don't know how well changing the setting will work as I don't know which product you're using. Anyway, IIRC the control panel files live in %\SystemRoot%\System32 where the first % is your boot drive and SystemRoot% is whatever folder Windows was installed into.

In the English versions, the file is named timedate.cpl.

First off, although you may be an administrator, you are not the administrator. I would check your account settings.

As for running the control panel tool as administrator (the all access 500 account), you can find 'timedate.cpl' by typing it into the start menu search bar.

Under the default policy/UAC settings, any administrator can change date/time. No telling how his policy settings are with whatever tool he has doing the regen gag, though.

Last edited:
Under the default policy/UAC settings, any administrator can change date/time.

Indeed. I'm surprised that Windows hasn't changed itself to be honest, I've never come across a machine that doesn't change by itself. This tool used to 'freeze' the system seems to have affected the 500 account permissions. :think:

Indeed. I'm surprised that Windows hasn't changed itself to be honest, I've never come across a machine that doesn't change by itself. This tool used to 'freeze' the system seems to have affected the 500 account permissions. :think:

I've seen that happen on some really locked down Win2K8R2 servers too; it's usually a really tightly locked down group policy (etc) setup - or the policy system broke. Coming into it cold, it's a coin toss as to which. :p

As for 7, without knowing the tool used to 'freeze' and regenerate it, I wouldn't want to go messing with policies. That tends to end unfortunately (read: lots of time trying to fix what you just broke, which you can't bill for. :p )

Ok, thank you guys. Some further news:

1.) I think I found out the solution to the initial problem why I created this thread.

My girlfriend had told me (over the phone) that the time was increasingly off during the week. The first thing I thought of was an empty cmos battery. So now I'm here and found out, that the time was indeed off (I think it was 18 hours) but the minutes were correct :p So it can't be the battery.

Anyway, It comes from the freezing because during every windows boot, windows recognizes that is supposedly hasn't been booted during the winter time and changes the time one hour back. So windows has been booted 18 times since last sunday :lol: An unfreeze, boot, and refreeze will fix the problem I hope. Sadly I can't test it, because I don't remember the password and my gf isn't reachable for the next few hours.

2.) Unfreezing doesn't change the Admin issue. I've tried that already in the past. I just didn't have enough time to bother with it (about a year back) and just changed the time in BIOS.

3.) The tool used for freezing is http://www.faronics.com/enterprise/deep-freeze/

4.) I enabled the admin account in windows (that is usually hidden) and also there I can not change anything (concerning time). Also, under my impressionn, the freeze tool doesn't forbid anything. You can do what ever you want, but after you reboot, partition C is recreated, even deleted files are back there.

Another thing to try if you're still having troubles is to enable "God mode". To do this, create a folder and rename it:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

This should allow you to alter any setting you like.

No, this only creates a list of the control panels. When I open the time settings, I get the same window as in my initial screenshot with all the problems included :)

In that case have you considered checking the integrity of your system files for any corruption? SFC /Scannow will check for errors and attempt to fix any it finds.

I've seen a report of this where someone has accidentally deleted Windows Time Service and managed to fix this by using system restore to a point before the deletion.