Windows 10: Microsoft's do over arriving late 2015 - preview tomorrow

It's still some time before release, and there's no saying just how old the preview build is, so bugs are to be expected.

I just don't like the whole philosophy here that there's "one OS for the whole lineup". Most people will use this in a PC, so there's little to no reason to add tablet-like features (like the widely hated splash menu from 8). Something else about 8 that pissed me off is that stupid menu that pops up every time your cursor gets close to the right edge of the screen, exactly where the scroll bar is.

I'll be a happy camper if there's some option on the installer to "turn off all ease of access for tablets" features.

Something else about 8 that pissed me off is that stupid menu that pops up every time your cursor gets close to the right edge of the screen, exactly where the scroll bar is.

No it doesn't. Charms bar comes up if you go in to the top right or bottom right corner and then move the cursor down or up depending on corner.

You talk like you would accidentally trigger it when scrolling, which is not true. (you scroll with your mouse anyway).

No it doesn't. Charms bar comes up if you go in to the top right or bottom right corner and then move the cursor down or up depending on corner.

You talk like you would accidentally trigger it when scrolling, which is not true. (you scroll with your mouse anyway).

You trigger it accidently all the time. Hey guess where the close window button is? Not to mention it's completely useless.

I disabled all of the charms stuff via StartIsBack.

Well, kinda defeats the purpose if you pay for an OS and then have to pay for 3rd party software to get rid of all the useless features and add the missing ones back. That's my highest hope for 10.

Well, kinda defeats the purpose if you pay for an OS and then have to pay for 3rd party software to get rid of all the useless features and add the missing ones back. That's my highest hope for 10.

It's only $2-3 but yeah. Failed experiment but I'm glad they aren't afraid to try new things.

It's only $2-3 but yeah. Failed experiment but I'm glad they aren't afraid to try new things.

This. At least they had a ambitious vision for once, flawed or not.

I'm running it w/out a VM. It's doing well on my ancient hardware.

Other people have said it and it was the first thought I had when I saw the intro video, but had they offered the evolutionary rather revolutionary features like Windows 10 preview is showing off rather then go whole hog into the Metro thing, then they could now be rolling out the more aggressively different style that Windows 8 had with less backlash. I think some aspects of the OS would still be hated like having the Metro apps that aren't windowed and such, but people would be ok with a lot of it since the style and usage of things wouldn't be one drastic step.

I've been using it since the day it launched, and I've only had one truly notable problem with it so far. It blue screened on me due to a conflict with the Turbo LAN program that Asus provides with their motherboards. I couldn't figure out exactly what went wrong, but it came right back up and has been pretty much flawless. Installed Tomb Raider on it the other day and it works perfectly too.

I think if they keep it up, they'll have much more user adoption with the iteration. Its very much like Vista vs. Windows 7 in that way.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll ever upgrade windows until the Metro design style dies. I just absolutely detest the way it looks. Purple, green, orange, red, yellow....why the fuck do I constantly want to be looking at that?

I don't think I'll ever upgrade windows until the Metro design style dies. I just absolutely detest the way it looks. Purple, green, orange, red, yellow....why the fuck do I constantly want to be looking at that?

And the obsession with right angles, goes right beyond me. Don't tell me its a throw back to Windows 3.x design, back then it was needed, now it's just.. blergh.

Tried the Win 10 tech preview thing, I like the functionalities as they are right now, the core seems solid. I doubt I'll upgrade when it comes out simply cos I doubt I'll have the patience for a clean install, and rarely do I upgrade to a new OS because of all those initial kinks they tend to find (most of the times in the worst possible way, specially security holes).

I'm on the go, and letting the laptop "sleep" in a bag isn't ideal as it gets hot and drains the battery. Hibernate drains the battery, too, but worse, always seems sluggish after it "wakes up."

I stopped turning off my laptop about a decade ago. :dunno: Then again, they've all been macs.

I find the double utilities to do the same thing annoying, as the metro apps are masquerading for the real programs. For for instance type in "free up" in the start menu and you will get three options, metro uninstall and disc clean as well as the real disc clean. I want the metro apps gone, but seems unable to do so with System Settings.

So it's basically Windows 7 with a few Windows 8 bits added on?

So it's basically Windows 7 with a few Windows 8 bits added on?

No...its Windows 8 with aspects of Windows 7 added on. I know that seems pedantic, but its a significant distinction. I guess the way I see it is that it has all of the optimizations and modern coding of Windows 8 with a less frustrating UI set. Its still pretty distinctly different then windows 7 (start menu is really the only true similarity). I imagine that is also very true with the underlying coding going on too. The user interface of Windows 8 always drove me nuts, but the underlying system running the computer seems much more efficient IMHO.

No...its Windows 8 with aspects of Windows 7 added on. I know that seems pedantic, but its a significant distinction. I guess the way I see it is that it has all of the optimizations and modern coding of Windows 8 with a less frustrating UI set. Its still pretty distinctly different then windows 7 (start menu is really the only true similarity). I imagine that is also very true with the underlying coding going on too. The user interface of Windows 8 always drove me nuts, but the underlying system running the computer seems much more efficient IMHO.

Yeah, 8 is a much better OS than 7. Seems a lot speedier, plus all the fancy stuff like Task Manager and such.

I just discovered the TP can't join homegroups. It can create it's own, but not join others. That or it's broken. And I hope they do something about the ugly UI.

Also this screen
lol.PNG
Someone set us up the homegroup!

Yeah, 8 is a much better OS than 7. Seems a lot speedier, plus all the fancy stuff like Task Manager and such.
Resource Monitor in Windows 7 if you want fancy task manager.

Last edited:

I meant it looks like Windows 7 with 8 bits added on. Obviously 8 is better in the speed department, but I can't live with the UI (it's made for tablets). 10 looks like a nice combination of both; UI of 7 (not exactly, but similar with some 8 bits) and the (even faster) speed of 8.

Last edited:
I use http://www.classicshell.net/ which is free. I only use the start menu part of it though. I like the W8.1 explorer.

I don't think it defeats the purpose of W8 using a classic start menu addon, I still like the new task manager and & look of W8.

It also boots much faster than Windows 7. It boots faster on HDD than W7 did on SSD.

Last edited: