Windows 7, so who's tried it?

The Start Menu Search is the best addition in Vista. Period. Starting programs is now merely hitting the winkey and typing the first letters of the program you want to run, then hitting enter.

So they've invented a shell with tab completion? Wow... that's a new and revolutionary concept :w00t:

Now, if they talked about punching Fortran cards, that would be old.

You need punch cards? Got a few boxes around here somewhere... quite an efficient storage option at about 3200 decimal digits per kg :blink:

Actually, the Windows command shell has better tab completion than Linux...

Orly? When you type "a" in the windows command prompt and hit tab it will cycle through the files available beginning with "a". There is no completion for actual commands. With bash for example you get both. Completion for commands/programs first, completions for pathnames as parameters second.

Their way of completion is different as well, might be down to taste what's better. Let's say you have 100 files named "foobarXYZ". You want to edit those, so you type "editor f<tab>". In bash, it will complete to "editor foobar" and wait. In windows, it will complete to "editor foobar001" and wait. Press tab again in bash, it will display a list of continuations. Press tab again in windows, it will switch to "editor foobar002". It's like a data structure, windows is searching through a linked list while bash is traversing down a tree. Logarithmic time ftw :rolleyes:

You need to change the Workgroup in the XP machine's properties(right click My Computer>Properties) to the name of the homegroup on the Win7 machine. I think there's a bit more to it though, so you should probably google it, or maybe some one here knows more.

Guys, my computer with XP can't access my hard disk in the computer running Seven. It says I don't have permission to do so, but the computer with Seven is sharing the Public folder and printers with no drama. Any thoughts?

You can only access shares on computers running vista or higher with an account that has a password configured.

After some truly Jamesian cleaning (yes, a brush was involved) & popping in my new SSD I tried to install Windows 7, it failed because of lack of a DVD driver. Then how did it start the setup off DVD if there is no DVD driver? :D

Long story short, because they load a basic class driver for optical devices to get through text mode setup, so when it comes down to actually loading a device driver for it, it couldn't find one.

Worked okay on my netbook which doesn't have an optical drive... you were using a flash drive narf?

Well, I'm currently using it on a low specs PC "2.8 Ghz...1 GB RAM...Nvidia Geforce 6200" (I know thats crap) but it's performing much better than XP on everything excluding the IE 8, it gets stuck to load photos and flash stuff!

Worked okay on my netbook which doesn't have an optical drive... you were using a flash drive narf?

My first attempt was off DVD, I thought that was the native method thus the more reliable one.

My second attempt was off a flash USB drive, that gave me a few wierd characters on the screen and a frozen PC - never tried to boot off USB before, so I have no idea if it actually works with anything else.

My third attempt was with my old nLite XP, works fine. First bootup from after BIOS screen to the desktop took about 4 seconds... :lol:

Surprised no ones talked about the final version of 7 in the past few days.

Mannn its eons better than Vista. I know this sounds really...apple-ish, but honestly: It just works.

I think its possibly the best OS ive ever used. it had all the drivers for my wireless card and printer AND video card pre-installed, it starts up and shuts down super fast (much faster than a fresh install of Vista did), and was even easier to install than Vista or Ubuntu. Love the new improvements to the Windows Gui. Networking...just works seamlessly as well. Before I installed it I had my PC networked to the other 3 PCs on my network, and I was able to re-set the file shares in 7 in about 3 minutes. No problems at all.

These are just a couple of the many new/improved things that Ive noticed. Anyone else tried it and notice anything better/newer?

Last edited:
Supposedly, it's NOT final, nor an official RTM build.

I've installed a 64-bit version on my pc. It runs very smooth, but doesn't seem to load faster than XP did. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's noticeably faster than XP in general applications, but it does feel at least as fast, or even a bit quicker. It definitely feels smoother though, as I said.

Some applications have compatibility issues, such as Skype 3.8 and a few others. They start normally, but will crash silently in a few minutes. Newer versions and workaraounds are available, though.

After some tweaking, it doesn't ask me anything unnecessary or irritate me with warnings, so it'a keeper all in all.

Last edited:
I love it. MS has finally gotten some 'soul' back into their products. The 360, Project Natal, Office 2007, the hilarious office 2010 trailer, and windows 7.

I dual boot Windows 7 with Arch Linux, and find myself booting into Windows 7 more and more because it's such a great piece of design

I'm only having one problem with Win 7 right now that's stopping me from using it all of the time. It's on a separate disk to my XP install but most of the files I want (like my photos and some music) is stored on the XP disk.
No problem you're thinking, Win 7 will show the other disk. Not always. Sometimes I boot up with no XP disc at all, other times i'll be browsing it and explorer will crash. It's probably due to the XP drive being a hardware RAID 0 set up through ASUS DriveXpert, but XP handles that fine.

That is my only problem with it though, otherwise I love it. I should plug my scanner in and see in 7 will find drivers for it that work, I've been trying for ages without luck.

You could just install 7 on the XP drive and it will upgrade, and put all of your documents into a folder.

It's smart to move the my documents location away from your windows partition anyway.

You could just install 7 on the XP drive and it will upgrade, and put all of your documents into a folder.

But won't that replace my XP installation? Not prepared to do that just yet. They're on separate drives too, not just partitions.