Windows 7, so who's tried it?

In Microsft terms, an upgrade is going from an earlier (supported) version of Windows to the current version. Meaning that you already paid for a recent license and therefore get a discount on your current license. You see upgrade form the install perspective, while Microsft sees it from the license perspective.

A clean install isn't really an upgrade in the sense you lose everything previous, when I say upgrade I'm talking you keeping all your files and programs and such. Installing 7 over XP would be an upgrade yes, but it's not upgrading XP to 7.

You keep all your stuff in Windows.old when you do XP to 7 upgrade. This is a moot point doing an upgrade of the type that you are referring to never works right anyway.

Would it be better to buy Vista now, and then upgrade to 7, or could there be an advantage to just going with a cleanslate install on a brand new computer starting with 7 right off the bat? Juuuust in case 7 doesn't work (for some strange unknown reason), I'd still have a copy of Vista...

^If you are building it yourself I would go for 7, pretty much all the hardware that works with Vista should work on 7 w/o any problems.

If you are buying, most companies will offer a free upgrade to 7 when it comes out in Oct.

no matter when I change OS, I ALWAYS start with a fresh install. Fresh as in format and start from scratch.
It automatically gets rid of tons of crap you don't use anymore, the registry gets cleaned up and you usually win a lot of free disk space back

all of the above mean you're OS will run a LOT quicker and more stable

So even if you're "just" going from Vista to 7, i'd do a completely clean install (unless your Vista is really really new, like a couple of days/weeks old and you haven't had time to screw it up yet)

(unless your Vista is really really new, like a couple of days/weeks old and you haven't had time to screw it up yet)

I wouldn't upgrade even then. Always have a clean fresh start. Then when you're done installing drivers (and drivers only!) make an image and you're golden.

I wouldn't upgrade even then. Always have a clean fresh start. Then when you're done installing drivers (and drivers only!) make an image and you're golden.

Windows 7 found drivers for all of my hardware through Windows Update. All of it. I even double checked the release date of the video drivers and they were the latest.

I did have to grab a small application for my netbook that controls the special keyboard keys and their on-screen indicators, but despite being designed for XP it works fine in 7.

I'll try 7 first on my desktop PC, since it's the most garbage-ey of the 2. Besides, there's a special lite Win7 coming out for netbooks, so I'll use XP until it's really out...

Besides, the netbook hardly has anything installed other than an antivirus, so the "change" won't be as dramatic

I'll try 7 first on my desktop PC, since it's the most garbage-ey of the 2. Besides, there's a special lite Win7 coming out for netbooks, so I'll use XP until it's really out...

Besides, the netbook hardly has anything installed other than an antivirus, so the "change" won't be as dramatic

There is no special Win 7 for netbooks AFAIK. Unless you mean Win Starter edition. I think the only difference is that Win 7 on netbooks wont run Aero at all due to lack of power.

Windows 7 found drivers for all of my hardware through Windows Update. All of it. I even double checked the release date of the video drivers and they were the latest.

I did have to grab a small application for my netbook that controls the special keyboard keys and their on-screen indicators, but despite being designed for XP it works fine in 7.
Win 7 did find all my drivers with windows update but the network driver kept crashing till I downloaded a proper one from the mobo website and the vid driver was utter crap compared to the one I downloaded from ATI's website (9.8 catalyst).

The Microsoft generic drivers do work, but if you plan on using your computer for anything more than IE8 and Office 2007, get some proper drivers...

Win 7 did find all my drivers with windows update but the network driver kept crashing till I downloaded a proper one from the mobo website and the vid driver was utter crap compared to the one I downloaded from ATI's website (9.8 catalyst).

The Microsoft generic drivers do work, but if you plan on using your computer for anything more than IE8 and Office 2007, get some proper drivers...

Odd that Win7 didn't give you the most up-to-date, certified, ATI drivers. For my nVidia card, it loaded the exact ones that I would get if I manually downloaded it from their site.

Yup, it downloaded the 9.8 Catalyst drivers for me. And the netbook (GMA 950) runs Aero just fine.

So...when it becomes fully-available, for those who aren't going to use a cracked version, what version are you going to get? Home premium? Professional? Ultimate?

Is the bit locker and language-switching the only differences between Ult and Prof?

Basically...are these the only differences?
Product_Detail_Chart.jpg

I am using Professional since that's what I got through MSDNAA, but I pre-ordered Home Premium.

I has it, and I like. I have to say switching from Xp to 7 right away is quite a big difference... I've never touched Vista so I can't compare it, but it's pretty fast (faster than XP was, but then again it had a lot of crap on it)

Nice visual stuff I notice too, like translucent windows, etc. I love the new taskbar that gives you a preview... had me wondering at first, since I expected there to be just icons there :)

I had 0 trouble installing, too, it didn't recognize my printer driver, but that's it. ALL of the other stuff (that's atleast 8 USB ports + other crap) went fine. Even stuff like my ancient Sidewinder steering wheel, that gave me a LOT of headaches to get it to work with XP, works fine right out of the box...

So...when it becomes fully-available, for those who aren't going to use a cracked version, what version are you going to get? Home premium? Professional? Ultimate?

Is the bit locker and language-switching the only differences between Ult and Prof?

Basically...are these the only differences?

Two words: Media Center.

And I'm running Ultimate on my desktop, Home Premium on my netbook, and Enterprise on my work laptop.

Two words: Media Center.

And I'm running Ultimate on my desktop, Home Premium on my netbook, and Enterprise on my work laptop.

Doesn't Home Premium include it as well? I got Ultimate cuz I got it legit and for free so why not :p