Windows 7, so who's tried it?

And you can switch languages even in Pro. You just need to be a little more oldskool.

I'm a proper convert onto pro now too. Very good so far with the added bonus over the RC that WMP11 doesn't freeze when I search for music. I agree that Pro has everything you'll need and Ultimate is a waste of cash.

Pro doesn't come with the games :cry:

I want my Minesweeper! Oh well.

Sure it does! Just turn it on in Programs and Features :)

1. hit the Start Button and type "turn windows features" (no quotes)

2. When the result "turn windows features on and off" appears in the list, click it.

3. Accept the UAC prompt

4. Check the "Games" checkbox and hit ok.

That's it, the Games menu should appear in the Start Menu. :)

^Since we're on the subject of computers (duh), i'm interested in knowing what your avatar's all about. Not a fan of i7? :D

I nearly had a trouser accident. I opened WMP and Firefox at the same time and they both opened within 2 seconds. ^_^

Last edited:
Sure it does! Just turn it on in Programs and Features :)

1. hit the Start Button and type "turn windows features" (no quotes)

2. When the result "turn windows features on and off" appears in the list, click it.

3. Accept the UAC prompt

4. Check the "Games" checkbox and hit ok.

That's it, the Games menu should appear in the Start Menu. :)

I figured I'd need my Windows disc for that, which would be difficult since I installed from a mounted ISO. I'll try it when I get home though.

^Since we're on the subject of computers (duh), i'm interested in knowing what your avatar's all about. Not a fan of i7? :D

I nearly had a trouser accident. I opened WMP and Firefox at the same time and they both opened within 2 seconds. ^_^

:lol: On another forum I visit, (Notebook Review) there's a subforum dedicated to people who need help picking out a laptop. There's a select few people that'll suggest an i7 to people who only plan to use a laptop for solitaire or to give it to grandma for a gift or something. While i7's good for a number of people, a lot of people (myself included) don't really need the power it provides. :p

And yes, Windows 7 is quite snappy isn't it, Vista wasn't bad for me but this is much better. :thumbsup:

Getting Ultimate is completely pointless. Pro does the exact same job.

Another Win7 user here. I pre-ordered the ultimate x64 version from an OEM site for 99? (Pro wasn't even an option)! I had a free upgrade to the final release, and it didn't even ask for a serial number (hopefully, it will last for ever... It says "Windows is activated").

I have set everything to look like the previous versions of Windows (Quicklaunch - Language bar - Desktop shortcut) and I also don't like grouping the tabs but at least you can now arrange them as you like!

I see, Core i7s are great if you can use the power. Someone brought their home PC into work today (Dell Studio XPS with the i7 920 - he does CAD work so some of the power is used). Strangely, 5 or the 6 DIMM sockets didn't work! The thing is only 9 months old! Unbelievable.

I really didn't realise how slow my XP partition was until I got 7. XP sits on a pair of striped drives compared to 7s single 320GB drive and still looses out. I plan on putting 7 onto the array in the not too distant future, the only thing dragging the machine rating down at the moment is the data transfer speed. The drive is 4 years old though so I can't complain.

Getting Ultimate is completely pointless. Pro does the exact same job.

This isn't exactly the point.

When I downloaded the RC we were given Ultimate. But when I got the (free) final version from MSDNAA it was Professional. So I can't use the upgrade option, I need to do a clean install.

I agree, I'll happily use Pro, I just wanted Ultimate so I didn't have to do a clean install.

I have W7 on my laptop at work. Hate what they've done with the taskbar and even reverting back to the Windows classic theme doesn't stop it from grouping your windows together which I can't stand. I want stuff to display in the order I open it. It's more stable than Vista (not hard), but I still prefer XP.

Finally upgraded to Win7 Ultimate x86 on my main comp. Except for some problems with the dual boot and Alcohol 120% not being able to create a virtual drive, everything else went smoothly. The ram usage is still higher than what I would've liked, but I got 4GB of ram (3.2GB usable) so that's not a big problem. Using the Madobe Nanami theme right now. :)

Ultimate 64-bit is running sweetly on my Macbook Pro. Except for the time; For some reason, OSX/bootcamp seems to screw with the time setting in Windows.

For some reason, OSX/bootcamp seems to screw with the time setting in Windows.

Ha, sucks they still haven't fixed the time issue. I remember that bugging me to no end when I had an Apple with XP.

I have W7 on my laptop at work. Hate what they've done with the taskbar and even reverting back to the Windows classic theme doesn't stop it from grouping your windows together which I can't stand. I want stuff to display in the order I open it. It's more stable than Vista (not hard), but I still prefer XP.

Right click a blank spot on the taskbar and click properties. In the taskbar properties dropdown choose never combine. :)
http://img684.imageshack.**/img684/2553/taskbar.png

Is there anyway to make the system tray behave like XP? I hate having to click up one level all the time in order to check what programs are running. Thanks.

^If you go into the properties you can set which icons are always shown in the tray and which are only shown as 'notifications'. Otherwise they will go into the hidden tray. I haven't seen an option to bring back the sliding tray though.