Windows 7, so who's tried it?

Oh yeah...my friend had one of those. To play games like "Ninja" though you had to slow it down, or else it would move too fast.

Allycat suffered from a similar problem from memory

I had several 386s but my favorite was the 486. It had a turbo button which would boost performance from 33MHz to 66MHz. WOOT!

I used to play GrandPrix 2 against a mate over a 56k dial-up connection - he'd routinely mess me about by turning the turbo button off on his machine and making the game chug along at something 3fps.

Well, I've had Win 7 since the day before yesterday... it's kinda nice, but one major issue - digital sound (TOSLink) doesn't work. I installed the standard Vista driver, so I'd go as far as to assume that it wouldn't work under Vista either.

So that means I'm back to XP until either Microsoft or Realtek fixes that.

I've been using Windows 7 for general computing tasks, but had to boot up in XP to do some homework stuff and found myself missing the interface and task manager. Just those little things which made jumping around from tasks a little easier.

a 3.06Ghz pc is so slow Jesus used to own one? WTF? Your definition of 'old' differs quit a bit from mine.

Old to me = pre 386 processors :p

You win. :lol:

I used to play GrandPrix 2 against a mate over a 56k dial-up connection - he'd routinely mess me about by turning the turbo button off on his machine and making the game chug along at something 3fps.

Wow! 56K?! That's blazing fast! :p My 9600 is jealous.

286 was the greatest machine. Doom I was flying, 386, 486 had too much performance, i mean who needed 16mb RAM, 500mb Harddrive, that's nerdish overcloker's stuff. DOS, Doom II, Warcraft I and Lexicon, all you ever needed, about 50mb total.

I've never even had 56k. When i got my own first pc back when i was 12 (1998) top of the line was 33.6k. Used to download songs ad 3.32 kb/sec and that was fine. I downloaded the whole discography of Queen (2.2GB) on it. One of my classmates had a ISDN 64kbit connection, which at the time was like 70$/month (1999) he could download at 8kb/s, i was soooo jealous.

I remember the 1st time i really caught progress when i bought Warcraft II: 3d sound, 3d animation cutscenes, orchestra soundtrack, - it was amazing.

Last edited:
Anybody try out Windows 7 on an Intel Atom based system?

Wish I could but mine has a grand total of 8 gigs of hard drive space (16 using an SD card).

If I can find a hack online that lets me get around that I'm tempted to put Windows 7 on the not-eee.

edit - it's apparently possible if you remove Windows Media Centre and other languages from the iso. Hmm, that sounds tempting...

Given the situation with Vista, it was safe to assume XP would be the latest and last OS you could practically use on these first generations of netbooks. But with Windows 7, there's some new hope.

It also helps that there's going to be a netbook-specific version of Windows 7 - the new long Sony netbook was running netbook-7 at CES, if I remember right.

286 was the greatest machine. Doom I was flying, 386, 486 had too much performance, i mean who needed 16mb RAM, 500mb Harddrive, that's nerdish overcloker's stuff. DOS, Doom II, Warcraft I and Lexicon, all you ever needed, about 50mb total.

My 386 could barely run Doom I. It had 4MB of RAM and a 25mhz CPU....

Wish I could but mine has a grand total of 8 gigs of hard drive space (16 using an SD card).

If I can find a hack online that lets me get around that I'm tempted to put Windows 7 on the not-eee.

edit - it's apparently possible if you remove Windows Media Centre and other languages from the iso. Hmm, that sounds tempting...

16 gigs? That's brutal mate, even the SSD version of my netbook has 40 gigs. I could have had the 40 gig SSD or 320GB HDD for the same price, so I took the hard drive. :D

There's tools for XP and Vista that let you rip out most of Windows' components for a smaller/quicker install and stabler system. I'm sure they'll release a version once Windows 7 is officially out.

I haven't heard anything about the netbook version, but even the MCE version runs nicely on the Eee. Well, I've never loaded up MCE, but the Ultimate version runs well.

Well, I've had Win 7 since the day before yesterday... it's kinda nice, but one major issue - digital sound (TOSLink) doesn't work. I installed the standard Vista driver, so I'd go as far as to assume that it wouldn't work under Vista either.

So that means I'm back to XP until either Microsoft or Realtek fixes that.

It's beta, things are easy to go wrong. and when they do, there's the Send Feedback button. Report your problems so they will get fixed, that's the point of beta!:mrgreen:

Having used Vista for the past two years, I can't really justify an upgrade to 7 any time soon. The new features are cool but not worth the price.

Price? What price?

I thought Windows was paid for under the same scheme Wikipedia runs under? Donations and general goodwill.

Price? What price?

I thought Windows was paid for under the same scheme Wikipedia runs under? Donations and general goodwill.

You, sir, are a fucking comedian.

Well, I try. Not all of us have an endless arsenal of funny pictures and animated GIFs to help guide us in pursuit of comedy. :D

Price? What price?

I think I paid $60 for the academic version of Vista Home Premium when it first came out. I got tired of being treated like a pirate just because I was pirating software. Oh wait...

I think I paid $60 for the academic version of Vista Home Premium when it first came out. I got tired of being treated like a pirate just because I was pirating software. Oh wait...

But if you had refused to pay for the crappier versions of Windows based on principle, you could have gone out and bought Windows 7 when it's finally out since it seems to be worth the price. ;)

Also, not that I don't pirate anything else, but I kind of can't help it with operating systems. I feel if I pay a huge sum of money to build my own system it should come with some sort of OS that I'm not required to pay another few hundred bucks for.

I'm sure it'll be at least $150 by the time it makes it up here with taxes and everything. I'm no longer a student either, so I can't buy it from my uni.

But in any case, it's kind of funny that you can go out and buy the most expensive hardware ever and once you'll get it assembled it'll be as useful as the Altair 8800 was at first, without a legit copy of Windows that is. :D

But in any case, it's kind of funny that you can go out and buy the most expensive hardware ever and once you'll get it assembled it'll be as useful as the Altair 8800 was at first, without a legit copy of Windows that is. :D

OK FATMOUSE, I'll hold him down, you start beating him with the Ubuntu install discs. :p