Windows 7, so who's tried it?

I think i will wait a bit. Nothing EVER works the first day for me. FF3 took a whole week to even be able to start on my computer wtf.

I believe that means its time to update the ol' computin machine.

[angry pirate sound] jharr mi buuty[/angry pirate sound]

Thanks for the LOL :)

In my view XP is still the best Microsoft OS, it just seems more stable etc. I have that on my main PC now. But i still maintain that OSX is the way to go now...

Ok so heres some screenshots as per some requests:
Picture1.png

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

Last edited:
I bet the thing is just Vista repacked and marketed to the paranoid XP users as the fixed vista. And Since vista isn't bad in the first place those XP users who do switch will like Windows 7. Some might even switch just because they would then be 2 Windows versions behind :D

Either that or Windows 7 really proves to be much better than Vista.

Does anyone know how to switch between Vista and 7? I don't want to destroy my Vista install so I'd like to create a secondary partition for 7 and be able to choose which one when I boot up.

What did you notice as the main differences?

Startmenu bar was changed completely. Gadgets now float on the desktop, which is miles better than having the sidebar.

And other stuff that I can't remember.

Careful all Windows 7 users with mp3s. I read that it will irreparably damage your mp3s, cutting bits of the ends.

Can't link to the article unfortunately, as it's in German.

EDIT: To clarify, it's only when either WMP changes the metadata, or you use windows explorer to change it. And even then, not always, only when the header is larger than 16KB

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to switch between Vista and 7? I don't want to destroy my Vista install so I'd like to create a secondary partition for 7 and be able to choose which one when I boot up.

create a secondary partition. install windows 7, when asked for the option of upgrade and clean install, choose clean install. Then just make sure your installation dir is not C:\ and it should automatically create a boot load option.

Careful all Windows 7 users with mp3s. I read that it will irreparably damage your mp3s, cutting bits of the ends.

Can't link to the article unfortunately, as it's in German.

Didn't truncate any of my mp3 collections. And I ran Windows 7 for about 3 days, everything seems to be fine.

Didn't truncate any of my mp3 collections. And I ran Windows 7 for about 3 days, everything seems to be fine.
Me too, i've been running it for a few days...

Is anyone here running it with an ATI card? I don't think CCC is installing properly - won't let me get to advanced settings...

You need a 64bit OS to use more than 3 (or 4...can't remember which). XP64 can do it.

Yeah, but XP x64 is such a horrible OS you are better off using Vista x64 regardless of your aversions to Vista. :)

Edit: It's pretty funny that everyone here is heading to download Windows 7, while most are still reluctant to try Vista.

Anybody who has been able to install Office 2007 and/or Office Communicator 2007? I'm using the 32bit version btw.
The OS is working nicely but I can't really use it for anything... <_<

Last edited:
I hate to be one of these guys, but I would much rather stick with XP rather than go for Vista or Windows 7.

I'm this guy aswell... I did hold off on switching from Win98 to XP as long as possible, and I'll do the same. They'll get me on Vista/7/8/whatever eventually

So does it support HD wallpapers? The ones in WM's screenshots look like it. Would be great to see it now I have HDCP working. :)

Also, which version is better? 32 or 64 bit?

So does it support HD wallpapers? The ones in WM's screenshots look like it. Would be great to see it now I have HDCP working. :)

Also, which version is better? 32 or 64 bit?

Wait, HD wallpapers? as in moving video for your wallpaper?? wouldn't that be freaking distracting?

Atleast I can report that Windows 7 runs A LOT better on crap hardware than Vista.

Wait, HD wallpapers? as in moving video for your wallpaper?? wouldn't that be freaking distracting?

Nah I just mean HDR style images that would only work on HD displays. The colours on those images make me think you can. :)

Vista can already do animated wallpapers, and I don't think something like a waterfall would be too distracting.

Nah I just mean HDR style images that would only work on HD displays. :)

Why would it not support it? I have a full-hd resolution monitor, and am using 1920 resolution pictures as a background with windows XP, and I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to use a 1920 resolution pic that has HDR effects on it.

I believe that means its time to update the ol' computin machine.

no, it's less than a year old. Firefox had a bug and it worked in a couple of days later I'm using FF3 right now. Any issue I have with new software get's worked out eventually.

I have the BETA downloaded in 6 minutes. But I can't install it because Microsoft decided they want to wait to give keys. Not that I'm dying to find out what it's like, I might just delete it tomorrow :p

Nah I just mean HDR style images that would only work on HD displays.

You answered your own question there, didn't you?

Having 'HD' pictures as wallpapers depends only on the resolution of your monitor. Even Windows 98 can do it if your monitor displays over 720 pixels top to bottom.

I'm on the Windows 7 site, and there are no download links for it. Where on earth do you get it from, besides torrents?