Windows 7, so who's tried it?

Right, back on my vista counterpart, how the hell do I connect to my wireless internet. I'm running it on a VPC and when I put in the install disk the vista comp recognizes it but the seven won't. WTH?

Did you enable the network interface in the VPC as a bridge to your router? If you set it up as a bridge, it'll use your wireless NIC automatically, and grab it's own IP address from your router.

What it looks like in VMWare Server 2.0

Last edited:
...I guess I will download it and try it myself.

I did this last night. It went very smooth - download from Microsoft took about half an hour and the install a mere 15 minutes.

It runs really well, there is a definite performance gain over XP on the Atom architecture. I was most surpriseed by the fact that all drivers work properly, even though my laptop didn't even ship with Vista.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2009/01/17/seveneee.jpg

Last edited:
Judging by the opinions of the people that have tried the beta here, it looks like a better OS than XP and Vista. When is it coming out in the full version?

^ It's a real winner, basically the best of XP and Vista combined.

It's supposed to be out by the end of 2009, but I wouldn't hold my breath, as per Microsoft's track record.

Did you enable the network interface in the VPC as a bridge to your router? If you set it up as a bridge, it'll use your wireless NIC automatically, and grab it's own IP address from your router.

What it looks like in VMWare Server 2.0
thank you, I'll try that now.

Besides this little hiccup I've had, its a great OS albeit sluggish with my limited setting.

I thought I might as well give this a bash. As loads of people have said, it combines the functionality of Vista with the speed of XP. The only issue I have had is 1440x900 resolution not working properly with the standard Windows drivers. It was pushing a lot of the stuff off the edge of the screen as though it was simply stretching a 4:3 resolution. Installing the ATI drivers cured the problem.
I'll wait until my exams are finished before having a proper look.

I've been using it for over a week now, it's great. Although i discovered a few flaws:

1. Explorer is crashing quite often
2. Certain applications cannot be "killed" via task manager
3. If you drag a song from a windows folder to a playlist on Itunes both explorer.exe and Itunes will hang (happens sometimes)
4. The "Links" Toolbar for Taskbar keeps resetting to default settings if you diselect itf and it doesn't remember the custom order of links after restart even without turning it off.
5. Overall the new Taskbar is quite bugged, for ex. if you change the icon on the existing taskbar link, it may not change intil you reset the thing, but then again you lose all the settings and custom order of links (shortcuts), same thing may happen after adding a new link to that toolbar.
6. If you turn UAC off windows dadgets feature DOES NOT work at all, you can't even bring up the gadgets selection window or install new ones.
7. You can't format a USB flash drive in NTFS until you set it for "Performance mode" in device manager...
8. Some ppl are experiencing problems installing Chipset drivers (not the problem with Intel).

However i found a solution for certain already known problems:

1. You can emulate images (like games and stuff) via PowerISO and UltraISO, although Daemon still doesn't work.
2. Although the version of Nvidia drivers installed automatically by windows update is only 179.xx, it works just as fast as the latest 181.xx for Vista so you're not losing anything in performance.
3. If you have a Creative sound card and no sound after WU downloaded and installed drivers, you can manually downalod earlier Vista drivers and install them manually and it will work (tested for Audigy 2 ZS card)
4. I am not sure why, but the default number of TCP connections is limited to 10, so if you need them for torrents or p2p tv, there's a 500kb fix for that around, that sets the limiter to 252.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to try this out, but I really don't feel like wiping my computer, and I don't know how to set up a virtual machine. I guess I'll just have to force myself to find out, but that's entirely too much work.

^what he said.

I'm curious because this seems the first Microsoft OS that people seem to like since, well, ever.......
I still would prefer if someone else try it and give me their PC though :p

I'm going to have to try this out, but I really don't feel like wiping my computer, and I don't know how to set up a virtual machine. I guess I'll just have to force myself to find out, but that's entirely too much work.

^what he said.

I'm curious because this seems the first Microsoft OS that people seem to like since, well, ever.......

If you two already have Vista installed, you can go to Disk Management, by right clicking Start > Computer, and clicking on Manage, and there you can shrink your current partition to give you a little chunk of the disk to test out W7.

If not, you can download most versions of linux live cd's and boot to that to get to GParted, a linux partition editor, that'll do the same thing.

The GParted inside the Ubuntu 7.10 live disk I had wouldn't format in NTFS, which was annoying, so I had to get the full thing stand-alone and make a cd, which I have since lost. Can I manage partitions from within XP? If not I guess I'll just have to get GParted again, unless I have an Ubuntu 8.XX floating around.

Found an old Laptop in the attic so I decided to put 512MB of RAM in it and check out Windows 7. Using it now and I am very happy with it, very fast on this computer which is so old I think Jesus might have owned one.

Here is the specs of this Laptop:

You don't need good specs! Much better than Vista in terms of speed, Looks good can't wait for the final verson now.

The GParted inside the Ubuntu 7.10 live disk I had wouldn't format in NTFS, which was annoying, so I had to get the full thing stand-alone and make a cd, which I have since lost. Can I manage partitions from within XP? If not I guess I'll just have to get GParted again, unless I have an Ubuntu 8.XX floating around.
AFAIK, XP doesn't have the same ability to shrink live partitions like Vista does, so probably no.

I have to say that windows 7 is really nice, very stable, and works with most everything I do, media, gaming, internet, i cant find anything that it wont do just as good and sometimes it even out performs vista. Only issue i had was my XFI Platinum drivers. I have removed vista from all 3 of my pc's and installed 7 beta, 2 desktops and 1 Dell D630 laptop, all installs were perfect and quick. This will be one MS OS worth buying IMO.

^what he said.

Download the free VMware server 2.0, it's so easy to use, anyone can do it.

Found an old Laptop in the attic so I decided to put 512MB of RAM in it and check out Windows 7. Using it now and I am very happy with it, very fast on this computer which is so old I think Jesus might have owned one.

Here is the specs of this Laptop:

You don't need good specs! Much better than Vista in terms of speed, Looks good can't wait for the final verson now.

a 3.06Ghz pc is so slow Jesus used to own one? WTF? Your definition of 'old' differs quit a bit from mine.

Old to me = pre 386 processors :p

a 3.06Ghz pc is so slow Jesus used to own one? WTF? Your definition of 'old' differs quit a bit from mine.

Old to me = pre 386 processors :p

Do you have the maths co-processor D: