Windows 7, so who's tried it?

Don't worry, I think I'm the worst Mac extremist around here, I think I'm safe :-D

PS: I notice a little red dot moving on the wall since a few hours, should I start to worry?

Installed the final Professional version from the university's ELMS system today. So far, it's great: definitely faster than Vista was, I like the new taskbar, and the overall impression is rather nice. Genuinely interested in how it will develop as time passes.

Creative soundcards have some of the worst drivers out there. One reason I will never buy one.
I've got my X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB sound set up in no time; Creative already released beta drivers for Win7, and they work just fine. Actually, I never had any problems with Creative devices, I don't know what you guys are talking about :)

Last edited:
I've just noticed something. Fresh installation, no additional software => 14.54GB! And that doesn't even includes a mail client!

It suggests you have at least 16GB free to maximize performance.

Well, I only made a 20GB partition for Windows so it will be a little bit difficult :-D

And I'm lucky I only have 4GB of RAM in my computer, otherwise I'd lose another 4 to 8 GB in VM and hibernation files...

Well, the 16GB includes the install, so it wants about 2GB to poop on.

Running the Professional version now [from my MSNDAA account] which I am happy with. Granted I have been using Win 7 since Beta. I was wanting Ultimate, but after looking at the differences between Pro and it, Ultimate just seems like a waste.

Running the Professional version now [from my MSNDAA account] which I am happy with. Granted I have been using Win 7 since Beta. I was wanting Ultimate, but after looking at the differences between Pro and it, Ultimate just seems like a waste.

Is the licence through MSDNAA a single user licence?

Installed the final Professional version from the university's ELMS system today. So far, it's great: definitely faster than Vista was, I like the new taskbar, and the overall impression is rather nice. Genuinely interested in how it will develop as time passes.

I've got my X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB sound set up in no time; Creative already released beta drivers for Win7, and they work just fine. Actually, I never had any problems with Creative devices, I don't know what you guys are talking about :)

exactly the same here. win7 prof final from uni's ELMS.
same with the taskbar, takes a bit of getting used to, but definitely lovely.

I have to admit though, I only use a creative x-fi x-mod box (which i dont think needs any creative drivers). you just plug it in (yeah yeah USB) and it works perfectly. nothing to complain about! all my drivers worked straight away.
even the drivers for my terratec cinergy-s-usb tv-card work perfectly, although they didn't use to with vista! :blink:

I have to say though, I had problems installing. after downloading from ELMS i burned the image to dvd. obviously my laptop-burner is too rubbish for win7 since it told me i needed drivers for that after loading setup (bit crazy, it does that apparently as soon as there are too many errors on the disc). so then i tried booting from a USB-stick (can recommmend that, it's rather nice) but after waiting for 15min for setup to load i didn't think it'd work.
after rebooting vista the autostart of win7 install popped up. i gave it a go and it worked perfectly!
i DID NOT UPGRADE by that. it copied all setup files to the computer, moved my old vista into a different folder and then startet setup from my harddrive.
this is by way the fastest method of installing imo if you don't have to format for any reason. your disc will be clean afterwards except for a folder windows.old which contains your whole old C-drive.

Gah, I can't wait for my Windows 7 pre-order. Getting really tired of XP, but don't want to reformat more times than I have to.

Is the licence through MSDNAA a single user licence?

Can be installed onto a max of 2 machines at a time. At least that is what the Vista, XP, Server '03/08, etc were so I assume Win7 is the same.

Last edited:
i got my hands on 3 windows 7 RTM ultimate keys, installed it on my desktop and laptop

loving it so far, even more than when i was beta testing it a few months ago, definitely feels even more polished

Installed it on 2 laptops today, one 32bit and one 64, and wow i cant stop talking about the improoved driver support! both laptops (one from the P4 era and one which is only a couple months old) instantly had all the drivers installed for almost everything, the older laptop had a sound driver that wasnt installed by default though.

The manufacturer didnt have 7 (or viasta for that matter) driver for the sound card, so I extracted the XP driver and told 7 to search those files for the correct driver..and it worked!

as expected 7 takes a long time to start up on the old laptop (P4 3.4Ghz/1GB). But once its on it runs fairly fast and is stable.

The newer laptop I instaled it on went perfectly 100% smooth. Its the first time EVER i dont have to install any drivers or anything on a computer i just formatted. And it is a laptop which is amazing.

And id be really happy if the licence allowed me to use it on 2 PCs, but in my experience with XP its only one. Anyone know for sure? this is the first time ive used msdnaa.

Last edited:
Its the first time EVER i dont have to install any drivers or anything on a computer i just formatted..

you sure that's such a brilliant idea? :blink:
I mean ok, my win7 didn't ask for any drivers, but I really just don't trust M$ with that. I mean why do Intel and nVidia (only as examples) launch huge driver-packs (nvidia driver 120mb for me), if it'd be just as fine without them?

I really don't think you are getting as much performance out of your machine without those drivers.

Oh plus... without installed chipset drivers I had 4 completely unknown hardware pieces in my samsung R70 laptop.

Gonna get a free Windows 7 upgrade kit when I get the chance to submit the forms to HP. I'm currently running the Release Candidate on my desktop PC and I couldn't be happier about its performance and compatibility!

And where do you think Microsoft gets their drivers from? The easter bunny? :wall:

not from intel, not from nvidia.
1. with microsoft drivers my graphics card shows up as "VGA adapter" and that's an end of it. it works, but it's far from perfect, you have to admit.
2. as stated before, pieces of hardware are unknown to windows unless i install intel chipset drivers.

there you go. the included drivers WORK, but they're no good and they're certainly not the drivers intel / AMD / nvidia / whoever want you to use.

have you never realized while using windows-drivers, that all your hardware has meaningless names far from the actual thing that's supposed to be there?

Last edited: