Windows 7, so who's tried it?

not from intel, not from nvidia.
1. with microsoft drivers my graphics card shows up as "VGA adapter" and that's an end of it. it works, but it's far from perfect, you have to admit.
That just means that your Video card was installed with the generic VGA driver to get it working. If you right click on it and select "Update driver" it will install a specific driver. In my case it worked for the nVidia driver and Intel driver was installed out of the box.
2. as stated before, pieces of hardware are unknown to windows unless i install intel chipset drivers.
This means Windows did not recognize your hardware. Although I suspect that if you were to force Windows to check for drivers with WinUpdate you would have gotten the drivers.
there you go. the included drivers WORK, but they're no good and they're certainly not the drivers intel / AMD / nvidia / whoever want you to use.

have you never realized while using windows-drivers, that all your hardware has meaningless names far from the actual thing that's supposed to be there?

To reiterate you are confusing generic drivers that are used just to get your hardware to work with specific drivers. Windows Update does keep a huge repository of specific drivers but it will not be as up to date as manufacturer's site because it takes time for the drivers to be certified and packaged for WinUpdate.

In reality you will not notice any kind of performance difference between drivers in WinUpdate and drivers from the OEM as long as they are specific to your hardware. Only hardware that would even care would be higher end video and sound cards. Just about everything else wouldn't see any performance boost.

Even with A/V controllers you will only see the difference in graphics intensive applications such as gaming.

BBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Inbox drivers for a number of devices ARE from the vendors. There are developers on site at MSFT from Intel, ATI, nVidia, AMD and others that provide baseline drivers for their devices to be included in Windows.

Provided...

1. with microsoft drivers my graphics card shows up as "VGA adapter" and that's an end of it. it works, but it's far from perfect, you have to admit.

Your hardware is still supported. Each version of Windows they (ATI, nVidia, Inetl and others) drop inbox driver support for hardware they deem "too old". The other side is that the device was something produced after the Windows product cycle completed and they did not have a driver ready for when Windows shipped. So they fall back to a generic class driver provided it's a recognized device class.

Smaller vendors simply make sure their devices are class compliant in order to make use of Microsoft's provided drivers for that class of devices and to save on them writing their own driver stacks.

2. as stated before, pieces of hardware are unknown to windows unless i install intel chipset drivers.

It's either way too new to be included in Windows or has been deprecated from the inbox driver due to age or the vendor did not elect to provide a functional driver to MSFT for that specific device.

there you go. the included drivers WORK, but they're no good and they're certainly not the drivers intel / AMD / nvidia / whoever want you to use.

have you never realized while using windows-drivers, that all your hardware has meaningless names far from the actual thing that's supposed to be there?

Hardly an axiom there. Plenty of devices with inbox support have "meaningful" names and functionality.

Don't believe me? Go trundle through %windir%\inf. Anything NOT starting with an OEM is a device that has inbox driver support. Crack one open, go find the friendly device names section..for gits and shiggles crack open the monitor.inf file.

Or maybe the atiilhag.inf file.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Actually using 7600 on the laptop for the first time today. On a 1.7GHz P4/Intel GS915/2GB RAM it's quite nice, a bit more zippy than earlier builds, including RC. It's been on/sleeping on and off for a few days and has had no problems and wakes up pretty quickly. Only thing installed is Firefox, AVG seems to have gone missing so I'll have to try and find or re-aquire it. I just wish I could have aero.

theyre pretty damn good for default drivers then.
I can still play CS source with these generic drivers, going to try to run Crysis on them and see if its doable.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if anyone can help me here. Before I install the RTM I would like to know if when the "real" OS is released in October will I have to do another clean install? Because I noticed that the RTM is the Ultimate version and i've pre-ordered professional. I seem to remember reading that downgrading versions requires a clean install but I would like some clarification.

RTM is the "real" OS that will be released to the general public in October. And no, changing editions does not always necessitate a reinstall, see Anytime Upgrade, which only works for certain upgrade paths, but doesn't work for downgrades like from Ultimate to Professional. The problem is that most illegal versions that hit the streets are indeed the Ultimate versions, and not the other ones. And since Microsoft decided to ditch the monolithic install disc with all editions available, you cannot install Professional from an Ultimate disc sadly.

I have Win 7 at work and every single problem we had with Vista is still there with Win 7. Sure it runs IE8 just fine but once you check for compatability with the soft ware we use at work (Oracle, Sap, Power Term, etc etc) it is utterly useless.

I won't bore you with specifics but I will say that I have my XP still running because it's impossible to make everything work with Win 7. Useless Microsoft garbage.

And WTF is up with canceling remote management properties??? If I want to change a server's cache setting I shouldn't have to RDP it now that I'm used to doing it with remote management.

Oh and the new Media Player stinks donkey balls as well.

[/rant]

Okay, so we have pretty much the whole world including the Apple and Linux guys in favor of Windows 7, and Mercury against it. Anyone else?

:p

I did a clean Vista install on my laptop and then upgraded to Windows 7 so it would have all my drivers and such.

So far it has failed to piss me off. I did have some problems with the display driver crashing last night, the screen flickered quite a bit and then I got a message that it had crashed and recovered.

I have only had one major problem, where Windows crashed, flashed the BSOD for a moment and then recovered itself - I know this because it informed me in a pop-up box. I couldn't help but think my computer sounded a bit smug at auto-recovering from a BSOD without a shut-down. I had no other problems and no data loss.

So far, I very much like it.

I used 7000 in December of last year, then upgraded to the RC. Its been great.

I have Win 7 at work and every single problem we had with Vista is still there with Win 7. Sure it runs IE8 just fine but once you check for compatability with the soft ware we use at work (Oracle, Sap, Power Term, etc etc) it is utterly useless.

I won't bore you with specifics but I will say that I have my XP still running because it's impossible to make everything work with Win 7. Useless Microsoft garbage.

And WTF is up with canceling remote management properties??? If I want to change a server's cache setting I shouldn't have to RDP it now that I'm used to doing it with remote management.

[/rant]

Well there's your problem. I'd say that Win7 knows it's too good for that pile of shit and is refusing to operate properly knowing they must interact.

[/rant]
Why the fuck would you run Oracle on Windows? (Aside from why would you waste money on an Oracle install)

[/rant]

So you're blaming Microsoft for not re-making XP and charging you again? That software is old and outdated, Win7 is new. Can you put a VHS tape into a DVD player? Hell, very few new computers come with Parallel ports meaning all those legacy printers don't work (huge problem we have.. and the adapters/parallel-to-usb cables suck balls and hardly ever work). Blame the software manufacturers for not producing an update for Vista, which has been out for years.

Also, I second the above two posts

So you're blaming Microsoft for not re-making XP and charging you again? That software is old and outdated, Win7 is new. Can you put a VHS tape into a DVD player? Hell, very few new computers come with Parallel ports meaning all those legacy printers don't work (huge problem we have.. and the adapters/parallel-to-usb cables suck balls and hardly ever work). Blame the software manufacturers for not producing an update for Vista, which has been out for years.

Also, I second the above two posts
There are Vista editions and we've tried them all. And when I say running Oracle I simply mean the DB management component, I'm not even gonna try installing a data base on Win 7, I have my own troubles in life, I don't need to go looking for them.

As for all the rest, you try being a network engineer and working with Vista/Win 7. Things that used to take 5 seconds on XP now take a hell of a lot more. Simple day to day operations are no longer simple and the whole system feels very sloppy. I don't even have to go as far as outside software, the entire co-relation between win 7 and Microsoft servers is purely shit. It keeps crashing like a little bitch even when you try to do something as small as changing Group Policy settings remotely.

It's all good and well sitting at home running firefox and perhaps ICQ and saying "this OS OwNZ". try using it for work and you'll see why Microsoft provides us with Vista and Win 7 licenses for free, sends in a programmer to work with us on a day to day basis for very long periods and mainly begging us to run these system so they can see the problems and try and fix them, in the 2 years since I first installed Vista, not one problem has been solved. I'm sorry but if this is a great system in your mind you have problems. Try using Linux once in a while, every new version doesn't require the world to go upside down for you to be able to work, it doesn't take 2 years 2 service packs and eventually a new version to make it boot on most rigs and you don't have to waste blood sweat and tears for mundane tasks.

Last edited:
It's all good and well sitting at home running firefox and perhaps ICQ and saying "this OS OwNZ". try using it for work
There is no reason to use Windows for work. EVER. That said, you should also look into what server software you are using. Remember Win7 isn't even out yet officially so if you have something like 2K server you are bound to run into some issues. All the XP installs we have at work are customized images specifically for our company, I suspect that once you get through all the customization you need you would have easier time :p

Try using Linux once in a while, every new version doesn't require the world to go upside down for you to be able to work
Actually the reason why my main machine is happily running Win 7 right now is because I got tired of having to Google my ass off to make simple things like fingerprint reader work under Ubuntu on each release. Considering I have had it for like 4 years I didn't exactly give up easily :p

it doesn't take 2 years 2 service packs and eventually a new version to make it boot on most rigs and you don't have to waste blood sweat and tears for mundane tasks.
Yes in some cases it won't boot no matter what the version is :p

Last edited:
There is no reason to use Windows for work. EVER. That said, you should also look into what server software you are using. Remember Win7 isn't even out yet officially so if you have something like 2K server you are bound to run into some issues. All the XP installs we have at work are customized images specifically for our company, I suspect that once you get through all the customization you need you would have easier time :p
Our terminal servers are all server 2003, I've already started looking into server 2008 which actually doesn't look bad at all, but currently they're run on 2003 servers. Also we have Exchange 2008 already up and running, and the funny thing is Win 7 was designed to work with Exchange 2008 and yet XP is still a much more comfortable day to day management tool for running it. DCs and Active Directory are also run on server 2003.
Other than that all DBs are Linux based and are managed with Red Hat.

BTW it will take a very long time before we have an image that runs everything as smoothly as xp and I never expected Vista or Win 7 to be able to do that. After all it took us over a year to customize XP to work with everything and I expected nothing more than that. I was however referring to the basic things, like running Java with IE8 for web based programs that were adjusted to work with IE8 on win XP...is that such a high request?

Actually the reason why my main machine is happily running Win 7 right now is because I got tired of having to Google my ass off to make simple things like fingerprint reader work under Ubuntu on each release. Considering I have had it for like 4 years I didn't exactly give up easily :p

I do agree here, Linux has a never ending learning curve and you never know how to do everything, but opposed to Windows most of it is done by me as opposed to Windows where I have to open a ticket with Microsoft support or the software company responsible for the product. I like it much more when I'm in charge of how things are done.

Yes in some cases it won't boot no matter what the version is :p

Again we return to, ARGH :p

Our terminal servers are all server 2003, I've already started looking into server 2008 which actually doesn't look bad at all, but currently they're run on 2003 servers. Also we have Exchange 2008 already up and running, and the funny thing is Win 7 was designed to work with Exchange 2008 and yet XP is still a much more comfortable day to day management tool for running it. DCs and Active Directory are also run on server 2003.
Other than that all DBs are Linux based and are managed with Red Hat.

BTW it will take a very long time before we have an image that runs everything as smoothly as xp and I never expected Vista or Win 7 to be able to do that. After all it took us over a year to customize XP to work with everything and I expected nothing more than that. I was however referring to the basic things, like running Java with IE8 for web based programs that were adjusted to work with IE8 on win XP...is that such a high request?
At the moment I do not envy your job :)
I like it much more when I'm in charge of how things are done.
Cannot disagree there.