Windows 7, so who's tried it?

I tried two different disc brands and two different burners. As it turns out however, all three discs I burned are okay.

I will only upgrade from Vista when they can get a 32-bit OS to support over 3.5 GB of RAM.

Also, from watching videos, I can't help but notice how similar it looks to Vista (W7 looks slightly uglier, though); This is definitely not a "next generation" OS like Vista was to XP.
Interface is by far not the best way to decide how much the OS has changed. 7 has a lot of under the hood changes that you can't see.

I think it's basically Vista with some new features and doesn't eat as much memory.
The kernel was streamlined and optimized TO SHIT and a few new features were introduced.

My Vista Ultimate 32-Bit runs like a champ and I have not had any problems since I installed it in the beginning of 2009.

Windows 7 was made for those who didn't have powerful enough computers to run Vista.

The leap from XP to Vista was huge, from Vista to 7, minor, so I hope the next Windows OS (8?) will be like the leap from XP to Vista and will support 4GB of RAM with the 32-Bit version (or increase compatibility with 64-Bit).
So you are saying that having more resources available for your applications is a bad thing? Why are you hung up on 32bit? The world is moving to 64, the transition is not exactly fast but chances are by Win8 99% of popular applications will be 64bit. Having said that I have yet to see any problems running 32bit apps on my 64bit 7.
This basically can't happen. It's a technical limitation. Technical(ish) explanation below:

A memory address can only be as large as a single processor instruction cycle. On a 32-bit processor (or in software made for a 32-bit processor) this is 32 bits or a 32-digit binary number. The largest possible 32 digit binary number is 1111111111111111111111111111111. In decimal this is (2^32) - 1 or 4294967295. So the highest possible memory address is 4294967295 bytes, or one byte less than 4 gigabytes. You can of course get around this by assigning multiple instructions to a single extended memory address, and software exists to do so, but the performance hit (takes twice as long to access memory... effectively cuts RAM speed in half) is not worth it.

Off the top of my head, please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
It's not 100% accurate. We have 32-bit Windows servers at work that run more than 3.5GB of RAM and it is all recognized. It's a hack however and an ugly one (just ask der_jackal).
I tried two different disc brands and two different burners. As it turns out however, all three discs I burned are okay.
How could you have incompatible data? Just think about it for a second, the installer just deflates an image onto your HDD from the DVD and the installation goes from there. It sounds like your DVD-ROMs are having trouble with sustained read. I installed Win 7 on three machines two of them from DVDs, one had a burner and another a reader and both had no problems.

In other news my desktop doesn't seem to like Win 7, its a pretty old machine. I did the install by mounting an iso in XP, installed fine but when I tried to put video drivers on it froze halfway and I couldn't get video after reboot. Oh well didn't really care about that machine :p

Damnit Microsoft give me a key to the RTM version now! Others get theirs, I want mine! Argh lazy administrators :(

How could you have incompatible data? Just think about it for a second, the installer just deflates an image onto your HDD from the DVD and the installation goes from there. It sounds like your DVD-ROMs are having trouble with sustained read. I installed Win 7 on three machines two of them from DVDs, one had a burner and another a reader and both had no problems.
If it helps: the installer got out when "expanding data" at 65%. The image had already been copied to the HDD at the time, and neither had any drive shown any signs of reading problems, nor did I get any prior message of having difficulties when copying the image. The installer always failed at this exact percentage when the error occured.

If it helps: the installer got out when "expanding data" at 65%. The image had already been copied to the HDD at the time, and neither had any drive shown any signs of reading problems, nor did I get any prior message of having difficulties when copying the image. The installer always failed at this exact percentage when the error occured.

That is pretty strange, sounds like some weird I/O problem. Only thing I can think of is that some error occurs while copying. See if you can copy a large file from a dvd (3gigs or so) onto the machine and then run a chksum and also if you can unzip a 3gig zip directly from DVD. Really strange though.

i'm now part of the 7 collective, and only problems so far have been with daemon tools and F-secure internet security :p

...and F-secure internet security :p

What was the problem with that? I've always said I would buy F-secure at some time (if I ever lose confidence in AVG free, which isn't looking likely).

I'm on at ASUS at the moment to figure out why my XP drive isn't always detected when I'm in 7. It's a striped pair on ASUS DriveXpert. No problems in XP, just 7.

Last edited:
What was the problem with that? I've always said I would buy F-secure at some time (if I ever lose confidence in AVG free, which isn't looking likely).

I'm on at ASUS at the moment to figure out why my XP drive isn't always detected when I'm in 7. It's a striped pair on ASUS DriveXpert. No problems in XP, just 7.

Conhos.exe (win7 program) wants to shutdown f-secure, that gives a notice to user about a program tha wants to do something, but none of the things user does with the promt have any affect.

(conhost.exe things f-secure need to be shutdown to let pc be free)

So F-secure tries to shutdown conhost.exe, and that creates about 125 instanses of conhost.exe to task manager.

i got f-secure working by installing "F-Secure Internet Security Technology Preview" from here

hurp, no daemon tools works my 7 rtm :p

i got the inconpability error also, but when installing the software crashed and exited install.

Edit: this is what i get
daemon+tools+error.png

Last edited:
It works on mine, on all 4 installations ive done of 7 (incl x86 and x64). One "incompatibility" it speaks of is (from what Ive noticed) if a mounted image goes offline (hard drive gets unplugged,etc.) the entire system hangs. Aside from that I havent had any problems with d tools lite.

Wow its been a loong time but now I am finally 100% rid of XP! and never going back!

Last edited:
i got the inconpability error also, but when installing the software crashed and exited install.

Edit: this is what i get
daemon+tools+error.png

Well provided they're returning standard Win32 error codes....

ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY
14 (0xE)
Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

Which more than likely means they're choking on your system specs.

And what's the problem with Daemon Tools in Win7? No trouble on my install...

Compatible SPTD-drivers were only recently officially supported for W7. Latest edition of DT should work for everyone though.

I got notice through my University that as an engineering student I can get Windows 7 for free. So right now I've got two fully legal and licensed copies of 7 Ultimate (64 and 32-bit) ready to install. Come Monday I'll be ordering more RAM and a bigger hard drive for my laptop and will be installing 64-bit 7 on that. I'm hoping it will be an upgrade over Vista. If it goes well enough I may ditch trusty XP on the desktop and put it on there as well.