Windows 7, so who's tried it?

I think that basically answered my questions, or at least cemented my hunches.

whoever wrote the copy for the link thevictor390 posted said:
Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?

No. If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows.

"Waiting for Windows 7", it is.

Can't the mobo be registered with a Linux install? that way you keep the warranty and save the $120.

Well, honestly, having never even so much as touched a linux machine, I think it would probably take me until October 22nd (Windows 7 release date) to get it going, and online. *laughs*

Just throw an Ubuntu disc in and see what happens. There's a good chance everything will work after a few clicks.

I installed Windows 7 on a partition on my MacBook. I love it. Honestly.

I've been going back and forth between Windows7 and OS X (using OS X more though).

It runs great, doesn't give me and hiccups, and most of all just works.

If I were buying another computer, I wouldn't have any problem installing Windows 7 on it. :)

Well, honestly, having never even so much as touched a linux machine, I think it would probably take me until October 22nd (Windows 7 release date) to get it going, and online. *laughs*

You don't even need to install Linux these days to get online with it, just pop in a LiveCD and run from that. ;)

Or you could install an old copy of XP you have lying around without bothering to activate it, since you only need to use it long enough to register your mobo.

Last edited:
Or you could install an old copy of XP you have lying around without bothering to activating it, since you only need to use it long enough to register your mobo.

True...:hmm:

Interestingly enough, 7 Professional does include Media Center, unlike Vista Professional/Business, that didn't.

just checked and IT does have it. now how not use it :)

for tv i have dvr-box with my sony 32" "crt".
for videos there is vlc.

I dont want to start a OS war here, but my friends who have upgraded to Snow Leopard have had problems with many things...Mostly b/c Apple actually rewrote a lot of the internals of OSX for snow Leopard.

But I, or anyone Ive given 7 to havent ran into any problems at all. "It just works."

A lot of people I know are saying theyre gonna switch over to Windows...something you rarely ever hear. (Theyre not mac fanboys, just average joe's who use macs right now).

Last edited:
If I install Vista 32, can I upgrade to 7 64 or will I need to start with Vista Home 64 (if there is such a thing)..can't seem to find a retail version, only "for system builders" version.

You should be able to upgrade to a 64bit version. They don't make a distinction anymore, the CD key for both 32 and 64 versions of my install was identical (my CD key is good for multiple machines some of them were 32bit).

I've run into the not uncommon issue of my screen brightness becoming locked into whatever it was before hibernation when I resume from hibernation. I have to completely restart to get the adjustment back, which is annoying.

You should be able to upgrade to a 64bit version. They don't make a distinction anymore, the CD key for both 32 and 64 versions of my install was identical (my CD key is good for multiple machines some of them were 32bit).

Yes, but you can't actually run the 64-bit installer from within 32-bit windows, so you will have to do a clean install. There is no licensing issue, just a software one.

Yes, but you can't actually run the 64-bit installer from within 32-bit windows, so you will have to do a clean install. There is no licensing issue, just a software one.

Duhhhhhhhh :p I took his question as being one of licensing.

It's actually quite extraordinary, I've gone and pre-ordered a Microsoft operating system. "Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Full Version (PC DVD)" from Amazon for ?149. I never thought I'd see the day. And I'm even quite happy about that price.

Last edited:
It's actually quite extraordinary, I've gone and pre-ordered a Microsoft operating system. "Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Full Version (PC DVD)" from Amazon for ?149. I never thought I'd see the day. And I'm even quite happy about that price.

I pre-ordered Home Premium for $50... and then I went and got into MSDNAA...

Professional edition is ?148 at Amazon. I wonder who buys that :D

I have my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit scheduled to arrive November 5th on a free upgrade option from Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Despite running Linux on all my computers, I would probably buy a copy if it weren't for the stupid activation crap. Since the only thing I use Windows on is VMs, and since I tend to wipe them periodically, reactivation by phone gets old really quickly. I'll continue to run the beta until it runs out, and maybe my school will have a site-licence for it, otherwise I'll just switch to 2008 server (free from Dreamspark) for my dicking-about-in-windows needs. Windows 2000 also serves me quite well, it runs MSSQL/Visual Studio 2005 quite well, not to mention IE6, and I need those for some development work I do.

Despite running Linux on all my computers, I would probably buy a copy if it weren't for the stupid activation crap. Since the only thing I use Windows on is VMs, and since I tend to wipe them periodically, reactivation by phone gets old really quickly. I'll continue to run the beta until it runs out, and maybe my school will have a site-licence for it, otherwise I'll just switch to 2008 server (free from Dreamspark) for my dicking-about-in-windows needs. Windows 2000 also serves me quite well, it runs MSSQL/Visual Studio 2005 quite well, not to mention IE6, and I need those for some development work I do.

Is there a reason you don't save an activated "pristine" state of the Guest OS via snapshot?