Windows 7, so who's tried it?

I have that exact same one and it works fine.

Maybe I should just try it again? I just don't feel like it because it went SO SLOW for the first couple of tries (took like 10 mins to get to setup screen). I read somewhere that if you have a floppy drive (which I do) you should delete it from the BIOS because it may be slowing down the installation for some reason.

Maybe I just burned the DVD too fast? I used PowerISO to burn it and I set it to 4x speed (lowest) but it was still spinning pretty fast because it was quite loud during the burn. :dunno:

Finally, is that version the FINAL version that will be released on October 22nd? If so, why would it be released earlier? Is it the version that Microsoft gives to manufacturers before official release, and it says "no activation/license key required" because manufacturers don't have to?

Last edited:
I was able to resolve my slowness problems by updating the BIOS. Took forever to figure that one out.

I also can never, ever, burn a DVD at anything faster than 2x and expect an intact result.

You're using crappy media or your laser is completely worn out. If you use IMGBurn you can verify that the data on the disc is the same as the data in your image. It also tells you the manufacturer of your optical media.

I use IMGBurn, and it does indeed tell me that the result is corrupt :lol:

I've had this problem on every DVD burner I've ever used so far. Maybe it's my penchant for always buying the absolute cheapest discs possible...

A friend of mine had a problem with his burner on Vista untill he set the option to Joliet.

I use Verbatim DVD-Rs. It says 16x on them, so is that their maximum speed, or optimal speed?

Anyway, when I put the DVD in and explore it, it shows various folders and the setup file, maybe the burning speed was so high (I set it to 4x, but it was damn loud :dunno:) that it missed some files because I tried once again, and it got stuck on precisely 90%, just like the last two times.

I deleted the ISO I downloaded and threw out the DVD I burnt, so I'll just wait until an official version comes out.

It says 16x certified so they work fine at that speed with most writers on the market, by now only legacy writers have trouble with such discs. But you gain nothing by writing at 4x, the materials in the disc is adapted to ~16x and by going much slower the laser (depending on how well the write strategies are adapted to your media) may create undesired pits and unreadable files. Write the disc at 8x or 12x speed instead if you don't want to go full spin 16x.

(Most) Verbatim is made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp (MCC) and is good media. It's no Taio Yuden or VDL but it's good. Cheap media is rarely good. Really cheap media is cheap for a reason.

It says 16x certified so they work fine at that speed with most writers on the market, by now only legacy writers have trouble with such discs. But you gain nothing by writing at 4x, the materials in the disc is adapted to ~16x and by going much slower the laser (depending on how well the write strategies are adapted to your media) may create undesired pits and unreadable files. Write the disc at 8x or 12x speed instead if you don't want to go full spin 16x.

(Most) Verbatim is made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp (MCC) and is good media. It's no Taio Yuden or VDL but it's good. Cheap media is rarely good. Really cheap media is cheap for a reason.

Yeah, but my Verbatim DVD-Rs WERE cheap, I got 50 for $10. :eek: :lol:

Anyway, when I download a good ISO for Win7 after it releases (Oct. 22nd), I'll burn it at 8x or 12x.

I use Verbatim DVD-Rs, but they cost me a fair bit more than yours did because I go for the glossy printable type, and of course being a European I got charged stupid money anyway. Never had a single coaster that wasn't my fault as far as I remember. I'm going to install InfraRecorder x64 tonight (freeware) and see how that goes. :)

Am I the only person who runs an image verification immediately after burning a DVD? Saves me the hassle of getting into setup of something only to find it's junked.

Nah I do that too for software.

Am I the only person who runs an image verification immediately after burning a DVD? Saves me the hassle of getting into setup of something only to find it's junked.

i do it also to every burnt media.

[knocks wood] for the 7 years i have been buying cd's, dvd's there has been only 1 bad disc.

EDIT. was putting this in to wrong thread,

installed win7pro En to boss's acer aspire 1, and was amazed by how fast it was even with the norton internet security he wanted to it.
it even have 6,5 hour batterylife, including installing the 7 + programs from usb-stick, usb-dvd-drive and net.

But i still don't see why netbooks are so hyped :(
Don't get me wrong, i loved the device to the point i noticed the screen was eighter too far or too close to my bad eyesight.
And the keyboard was too small for my fingers (european size 10 hand :p ).

Last edited:
Had a few new experiences with Windows 7 yesterday.

First was the Media Centre extender. Since my TV tuner worked right our of the box on 7, I have been using it regularly to watch and record TV. Yesterday I recorded Scrapheap Challenge and wanted to watch it on my TV through the Xbox. Which of course worked fine, even thought Windows was adamant that my wireless network wasn't good enough for streaming video.

Next was windows 7 RDP. I have RDP mobile on my phone, and have used it a number of times to test external remote access on machines at work and it has worked perfectly. The PC I am using to stream media until my NAS box is working again is downstairs, and I don't really want to be walking around while everyone else is asleep to turn it off when I've finished watching the show. So I now have RDP access configured, and can connect to 7 from my phone. Because it's over the Wifi LAN, it's very fast and free, and it is actually quicker to surf the web on the RDP machine than using the phone's browser. There is no option to shut the machine down from the start menu, but running up a command line and typing shutdown /s is no hardship. Very impressive. Two more reasons for me to get a copy of 7. :)

But i still don't see why netbooks are so hyped :(
Don't get me wrong, i loved the device to the point i noticed the screen was eighter too far or too close to my bad eyesight.
And the keyboard was too small for my fingers (european size 10 hand :p ).

Why they should be hyped

- ultra portability
- "enough" computer for 80% of users
- super good battery life

why they are hyped

- price

Why they should be hyped

- ultra portability
- "enough" computer for 80% of users
- super good battery life

why they are hyped

- price

Yes, but you have to be a dwarf to be comfortable using it for several hours. Also, my netbook powers up the fan during the entirety of a movie. :p

They are useless!

well then you can call me a dwarf because I use my netbook quite comfortably for several hours.
Sure, at first the tiny(ish) keyboard needs some getting used to, but after that it's like you've never known anything else.

I actually prefer using the netbook now to my regular desktop PC, since it's easier to just open the screen, do a quick lookup on the net, and close the screen again. On the desktop I have to walk upstairs, power it on, wait for it to boot, start a browser, lookup what I wanna lookup, close everything and turn it off again.

Stop turning off your computer and move it down from the attic then! :p
Sit in front of computer, push house on keyboard, find information.

Anyone preorder from Newegg? I did back in June and they just charged my credit card! Windows 7 is almost here! More happy is coming!:mrgreen:

No...I ordered from Amazon, but forgot to order with the "Arrive on release date" option, so I have to cancel it tomorrow, and I'll just pick it up at Best Buy.

Stop turning off your computer and move it down from the attic then! :p
Sit in front of computer, push house on keyboard, find information.

ni! the "big" computer must be upstairs.
For privacy reasons... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: