Windows 7, so who's tried it?

Just had an idea. On the taskbar, because windows are grouped, it is sometimes annoying to have to click on Word, for example, and then again to select which on eto open. It would have been better had they made so that if you click on the minimize Word icon, it brings you to the one most recency open, and only if you roll over it does it show you the others which you can then open. It would save a lot of hassle.

Or is this already available in the settings?

Just had an idea. On the taskbar, because windows are grouped, it is sometimes annoying to have to click on Word, for example, and then again to select which on eto open. It would have been better had they made so that if you click on the minimize Word icon, it brings you to the one most recency open, and only if you roll over it does it show you the others which you can then open. It would save a lot of hassle.

Or is this already available in the settings?

That's why I tell it to only combine when the taskbar is full, which also shows the labels so you can see what's what.

Win7 disc just arrived, all ?36 worth of it. It really is handy having a sister who is at school in the house. Even better is the fact that I can upgrade from the RC. :D

Might do that this afternoon.

That's why I tell it to only combine when the taskbar is full, which also shows the labels so you can see what's what.

Yeah, that's better but I like the grouping if you always have a lot of windows open (even if it isn't full). It would be nice if it would just go to the most recently used one (like alt-tab would).

Yeah, that's better but I like the grouping if you always have a lot of windows open (even if it isn't full). It would be nice if it would just go to the most recently used one (like alt-tab would).

I always have a lot of windows open, but with 2 monitors and plenty of taskbar space (thanks to UltraMon), I like having them un-grouped :cool:

Bastards Very nice people. Turns out I've been sent the 32bit disk when I ordered 64. Got a t-something of the 64 bit disk though so I should be alright assuming it works.

Last edited:
oh and ioynerien:
are you sure that's win7 causing the problems? because i don't know anyone having any problems (except for a friend of mine not being able to install at all, seriously old PC though...). if you say you just built your PC, maybe there's some pieces of hardware bitching about? In that case installing XP won't do you any good, but I guess it is worth a try.
[I had that same problem once, memtest said RAM was ok, but I changed it nevertheless and everything was fine afterwards]

Little update:
All problems are solved, turns out the harddrive was crashing (bad sectors).
So the harddrive was replaced (warranty) and at once all the issues have disappeared.

Last edited:
Bastards. Turns out I've been sent the 32bit disk when I ordered 64. Got a t-something of the 64 bit disk though so I should be alright assuming it works.

I thought you get two discs.

Win7 disc just arrived, all ?36 worth of it. It really is handy having a sister who is at school in the house. Even better is the fact that I can upgrade from the RC. :D

Might do that this afternoon.

It's not exactly a very good idea to upgrade from RC to proper release. Always do a proper clean installation when youre installing the release.

My upgrade kit arrived this morning via DHL; now I don't know what to do.

Just wondering does switching up require you to format your C: drive? Because I still have quite a number of games which I left the CD key for back in Australia, also; My computer was preinstalled with Photoshop and Premiere so would I still be able to download them from Sony's site and activate them with the same key that's supplied in the user manual?

It might depend on what version you're upgrading from, but the 7 installer has an option to keep all the old files, even if you're doing a clean install.

AFAIK you should be able to reinstall the Adobe stuff without any problems if you have the key.

So regarding the Windows 7 disk saga,I sent an email to the software supplier and they're sending the correct one out today. I just need to send the original back. I hereby withdraw my 'bastards' comment.

Also I will be doing a full wipe (I may have installed the 32 bit version to check it was actually 32 bit) an it allowed me to just do a clean install without asking for a valid windows installation. Obviously I didn't activate it. I didn't have much on the RC anyway and what I needed I've backed up to the NAS drive. It's great to have that thing working again. :D

Last edited:
Moved up from the 32 bit RC to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit RTM 2 weeks ago (thanks MSDNAA!)

Now I just need 2 more GB of RAM to make the most out of 64 bit. :D

So regarding the Windows 7 disk saga,I sent an email to the software supplier and they're sending the correct one out today. I just need to send the original back. I hereby withdraw my 'bastards' comment.

Also I will be doing a full wipe (I may have installed the 32 bit version to check it was actually 32 bit) an it allowed me to just do a clean install without asking for a valid windows installation. Obviously I didn't activate it. I didn't have much on the RC anyway and what I needed I've backed up to the NAS drive. It's great to have that thing working again. :D

I think it checks automatically almost immediately after booting from the disc. Haven't confirmed that though, as it didn't ask me either.

Just installed it on my vista desktop as well, it's nice that now I can boot my computer faster than I can microwave some ramen.

I got really annoyed when I discovered that:
A) I accidentally downloaded the 32bit install of 7 from MSDNAA but then...
B) after I'd downloaded the 64bit version that IT WAS ONLY PROFESSIONAL!
FUCK YOU MSDNAA FOR ONLY GIVING US PROFESSIONAL WHEN MICROSOFT GIVES US ULTIMATE FOR THE RC.
/vent
You see, you can't just upgrade when that's the case...

So now I've already downloaded half our monthly bandwidth now, looks like i'll be getting a t-something afterall...next month...

I'll probably end up installing it on a new HDD I buy anyway.

I've only had a weird problem where the computer intermittently shuts down at about 4:45am every now and again, other than that, it's working perfectly.

...I really should have posted in this thread earlier...

It might depend on what version you're upgrading from, but the 7 installer has an option to keep all the old files, even if you're doing a clean install.

AFAIK you should be able to reinstall the Adobe stuff without any problems if you have the key.

Will it still be as fast though?

I got really annoyed when I discovered that:
A) I accidentally downloaded the 32bit install of 7 from MSDNAA but then...
B) after I'd downloaded the 64bit version that IT WAS ONLY PROFESSIONAL!
FUCK YOU MSDNAA FOR ONLY GIVING US PROFESSIONAL WHEN MICROSOFT GIVES US ULTIMATE FOR THE RC.
/vent
You see, you can't just upgrade when that's the case...

So now I've already downloaded half our monthly bandwidth now, looks like i'll be getting a t-something afterall...next month...

I'll probably end up installing it on a new HDD I buy anyway.

I've only had a weird problem where the computer intermittently shuts down at about 4:45am every now and again, other than that, it's working perfectly.

...I really should have posted in this thread earlier...

dont really need ultimate unless u plan on switching languages

dont really need ultimate unless u plan on switching languages

This! With Windows 7, Ultimate's not so Ultimate anymore. Hell, even MS themselves aren't flogging it like they did Vista Ultimate. Pro has all the features of Home Premium unlike its Vista Business predecessor. :)