Windows 7, so who's tried it?

I've a HP desktop on Windows Vista Home Premium, A Laptop by Packard Bell on VHP and a Dell Desktop on XP Media centre edition, the big probelm is the HP and the Dell, I want to fresh install them both, well I have too with the Dell :p Its A Windows 7 Proffesional Upgrade disc, first of all, can I upgrade them all? Secondly can my macbook play ball too? Even without a previous version on it? Thirdly the Dell and HP need all their data intact, with the HP I have two partitions, a 7 and a Vista, I want to have all the data from both partitions on the new install, I have a WD passport, what would be the easiest way to back up everything? I dont want anything to slip through, but I dont want to keep the 7(RC) and Vista windows files, as they're wasting space. The same needs to be done on the Dell but only with an XP partition.

Thanks.

@Dr_Q - Go to C:/Program Files/Windows Live/Messenger

Right Click on msnmsgr.exe, and check "Run in compatibility mode for"... and select "Vista SP2" from the drop down.

WLM will now minimise to the system tray.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Asad again."

Thanks for that great tip, never liked the way Messenger hangs around on the taskbar. :)

Also a hat tip to MS for finally getting continuous albums working properly in WMP.

Last edited:
GodMode: It gives you access to all settings in one folder.

1. Make a folder anywhere on your computer.
2. Name it "GodMode.{ed7ba470-8e54-465e-825c-99712043e01c}".

That easy :)

GodMode: It gives you access to all settings in one folder.

1. Make a folder anywhere on your computer.
2. Name it "GodMode.{ed7ba470-8e54-465e-825c-99712043e01c}".

That easy :)

It does actually work. I don't know that I'd really call it "God Mode" but it does put a lot of settings in one organized, easy to find place.

Also you can name it any thing you want, just change the text from "GodMode" to whatever you want. Just make sure you keep the "." and everything after it.

Godmode can be customized to read anything. It's nothing special, it's just all settings avalible in the control panel in one easy to use list view.

Last edited:
just bought this a few hours ago to bring to my uni

samsung%20ml-2240%20printer-a.jpg

edit : why do the cables cost like half the price of the printers @_@

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Asad again."

Thanks for that great tip, never liked the way Messenger hangs around on the taskbar. :)

Also a hat tip to MS for finally getting continuous albums working properly in WMP.
:)

Just a tip about Godmode, don't make the folder on your desktop. It crashes explorer and you have to delete the folder manually in command prompt to get things right again.

Arg, this is really getting frustrating now the problem with my mouse and keyboard is back. For some entirely unknown reason they just get stuck. Sometimes the keyboard will simply miss out letters and other times one letter will stick (despite the fact it was pressed once). The mouse will work fine one moment and then get stuck, after which it will speed across the screen again. This particular problem went away briefly but is now back.

The keyboard is brand new and is a Microsoft keyboard touted as working fine with Windows 7 and although the mouse is old and not great it has worked perfectly for me up until now. Originally I had both the keyboard and mouse plugged into the USB ports in my monitor and thought that this could be causing this issue but that simply is not the case :(.

I've done some Google-ing and it doesn't seem to have given me a solution thus far so any theories would be appreciated :(.

yes, and why are those cables so cheap!

Because it's easy to bilk money out of people who don't know any better by telling them to buy a special cable to make your new printer work.

Because it's easy to bilk money out of people who don't know any better by telling them to buy a special cable to make your new printer work.

oh god, i only checked the price of the printer, and forgot to do it for the cable @_@

We have a few of those lying around in drawers - they are a standard USB type connector. Nice one for getting ripped off :p

And my Windows 7 Pro arrived, and is ready to be installed on my new computer, once that arrives :)

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a bootable Windows 7 startup/install disk from a computer pre-installed with Windows 7? I did it once with XP, but seems like I can't find any info on it with regards to 7.

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a bootable Windows 7 startup/install disk from a computer pre-installed with Windows 7? I did it once with XP, but seems like I can't find any info on it with regards to 7.

Yes, you can. From the Start menu search box, type "create a system repair disc." Then, follow the wizard.

http://img163.imageshack.**/img163/5060/systemrepairdisc.png

The one thing I don't know is if you can use this disc to install Windows 7. Probably not. :D

From what I have heard, if you can find MS's elusive phone number they are pretty good about activation problems.

I had Windows 7 loaded today on my laptop and so far I like it. I'm just dumb enough to try things and get into trouble and SO FAR I have recovered just fine. It is a lot like Vista - Premium, which I also like but seems MUCH faster. I am getting ready to do a lot of photo editing and wanted the latest version of Adobe and wanted the OS to make it run better (that is what I was told anyway).

I made a really dumb email mistake and aksked for some help on that problem in another thread.