Windows 7, so who's tried it?

TeamViewer is another good one, I use that a lot for "support" (telling parents how to do things on their laptop), for its simplicity on both ends. It's free for non-commercial use.

Now you know what it feels like to have English (American) and English (International) come up in the choices. I want English (British) dammit :(.

Certain i got English (Australia) in my language list on install... :blink:

I got English (United Kingdom) too in Win7 Pro. It's the same as the setting in 'Format' in the regional options.

Yeah, I actually found out that I just need to tick the checkbox. But after going through all the steps in that guide, I still can't connect to my PC remotely through the web. Maybe it has something to do with my PC being behind a router. But I have to use the router, so oh well.

I find that Remote Desktop is much nicer to use, all the more so since it's a built in feature. I can almost guarantee the problem you have is that you haven't got port 3389 forwarded on your router. You may also need to set up a few rules in your firewall too (if you use one).

TeamViewer is another good one, I use that a lot for "support" (telling parents how to do things on their laptop), for its simplicity on both ends. It's free for non-commercial use.

Teamviewer is nice when trying to help someone over the phone and take control over their PC, I prefer logmein for my own PCs though, because it doesn't require me to install software on my end or remember long numbers, just my email address and password, and both are equally free.

I agree that Remote Desktop works the best out of all of them. It does the rendering on the client machine (rather than doing on the host machine and streaming the graphics), so it's that much more responsive.

I find that Remote Desktop is much nicer to use, all the more so since it's a built in feature. I can almost guarantee the problem you have is that you haven't got port 3389 forwarded on your router. You may also need to set up a few rules in your firewall too (if you use one).

Just tried it today, even with 3389 forwarded I still couldn't connect to my computer remotely. I still think it's a router problem, but I might give LogMeIn a try.

Actually, I preferred Remote Desktop in XP, at least for me at the client end. In Remote desktop disconnects the user currently logged on to the computer when the client tries to log in. In the XP version it didn't ask the serverside user if this was ok to disconnect them, in windows 7 (unsure about vista, can't remember) it asks, and the user can deny you access. Bloody annoying when you quickly need to change folder permissions and CBF physically going to the computer.

Yeah, I remember setting up RDWC on XP for a friend, it was much easier. I don't remember whether he's behind a router or not though.

Does anyone know if there was a big update for windows 7 recently?

I just purchased a new laptop on the weekend. It ran fine for the first 2 days now it is trying to do an update and it has been on the screen "Preparing to configure Windows... Do not turn off your computer." It's been like that for nearly 3 hours now. :?

Surely this is not normal?

I left it over night and it had finished updating when i got up this morning.

I been using Windows 7 for few weeks now. And im loving every moment with it. I moved straight from XP to 7. Never used Vista and viva la difference! :p

I found some links which I think will help you people. Check them out.
One is 70 Fantastic Windows 7 Tips & Tricks For Better Functionality. Most of them must be pretty obvious but some are not so. Its a interesting read (If you are into that sort of thing :p) and can be helpful in the future!

Other is Windows 7 Codecs. I hated earlier WMPs. Just don't like em. But I really like the WMP 12 in W7! Yes the shortcuts are a PITA wish there were some way to change them but other than that its great. Quite fast and plays avi's !! Woo :p Install that codec and it will play everything else too! From FLVs to adding subtitles! Just download it, install it, run it as administrator and click "Shark007s SUGGESTED settings"

:D

Personally I just use CCCP, but yeah, I am impressed at WMP12's efficiency (better performance than anything I can find for the netbook). The keyboard shortcuts are such a huge turn-off though (control-P? Really? And the Spacebar does nothing?), and the fact that the interface overlay pops up when you pause (covering up subtitles.... and the usual reason to pause is to read them).

So, I use it grudgingly on the netbook and stick with VLC on the desktop (or MPC when VLC chokes on h.264, which it does often).

Is there a "Ctrl Z" thing on Win 7? I try to organize my folders and I expect it to do something, but it does something bizarre, strange and what I'm not familiar with. Now I found a folder that's is like my personal folder. It contains sub folders like My Music, Documents, Contacts everything. I thought to put them all to my disc D:\. On WinXP You go to properties and change the directory and the whole My Documents folder moves to disc D:\. To I did just that and it brought disc D:\ to that folder, or maybe it made the Contacts folder to disc:\. Anyway, lets go back to the first question? How to undo?

How to undo?

Ctrl+Z.

If you changed the locations the libraries link to then you can just remove the reference to D:. It didn't move D: to that place, it just merges all locations you entered there for joined viewing and has one preferred place to store stuff.

Got it for the girls PCs - I have been getting router issues - seems fixed now. As for the desk top layout and the systems settings they seem OK, stuff has moved about a bit but I can find everything I need. Vista was crap but Win7 seems much better. Oh I have had loads and loads of downloads too but no issues with them so far.