Windows 7 Ultimate M3 Pre-beta Build 6801 SCREENSHOTS :)

unbreakable

Car(s)
2007 Honda Civic
I got my friend to preview to me the pre-beta build of Windows 7 ... here are some screenshots:
All I can say is that it looks very promising. I'm impressed. Also uses less RAM than vista even in this early build.

wallpaper:
seven-shine-logo-1024-768.jpg

Installation
DSC-3980-1.jpg

DSC-3972.jpg

DSC-3970.jpg

DSC-3966.jpg

DSC-3964.jpg

new calculator
9.jpg

search now takes up the entire start menu
8.jpg

simplified network settings
6-1.jpg

new on screen keyboard
25.jpg

improved widgets
20.jpg

media player
10.jpg

11.jpg

23.jpg

wordpad and paint w/ new ribbon interface
12.jpg

13.jpg

display configuration
17.jpg

theme configuration
18.jpg

firefox
1.jpg

YM
19.jpg

(notice the new and improved taskbar?)

autoresize, minimize, maximize windows.. (all you have to do is shake the window to minimize everything!) (drag window to top screen to maximize, or top right or left for half size as shown in pic)
24.jpg

new taskbar:
21-1.jpg

4.jpg

MAC??? OSX??? WHAT'S THAT? lol
7.jpg

if there are too many, it will look like this:
26.jpg

pictures don't do it justice. There are a lot more features that only videos can show... but there... enjoy.. just youtube windows 7 to find the vids.

Last edited:
looks pretty good, do you know when we will be able to download and try it ?

PM me for questions like that :) we might get spanked by the mods. hehehe

BTW, Microsoft Aims to release Windows 7 by MID 2009. It aims for the new OS to have a smaller RAM footprint than vista, despite having more eye candy and features.

Well.. thanks for sharing anyway.

I'm quite happy with Vista atm, so I can only imagine that Windows 7 is gonna be even better.

PM me for questions like that :) we might get spanked by the mods. hehehe

not really, i'm probrably running the same build as you, downloaded from the same location. Let's just say that searching for 6801 on torrentz.com will get you the correct torrents :)

Been running it for 2 days, it's remarkably stable for a pre-beta build and most stuff either installs and works right away, or installs properly when set to vista compatibility mode.

wow. A microsoft product that uses less ram than the previous version, is that a worlds first?

Looks nice, but I'll wait for the 'proper' version to come out before I make my decision. If this comes out in mid 2009 I may be able to switch to this and be able to skip Vista completely. Huzzah!

Oh, and if you download it and wonder where the extra cool taskbar went, you need an extra tool to "unlock" that feature. It's still a bit buggy, so it's not enabled by default yet.

The reason why it'll be using less ram than vista is that there is no memory allocated to background windows. Only when they become focused are they allocated memory. So that should keep resource consumption down.

It both sounds and reads very good, but I still hate the theme/design. And yes, I've tried Vista with the oldschool "Win 2k" design, and it still looked like dogshit.

Oh, and if you download it and wonder where the extra cool taskbar went, you need an extra tool to "unlock" that feature. It's still a bit buggy, so it's not enabled by default yet.

yep. it's not enabled by default. A little googling did the trick :)

Dang, it's a bit weird seeing that Linux style taskbar replacing the old faithful Win95 or higher taskbar. But I guess they've thought about it a long time. It'll probably grow on us.

The taskbar absolutely rocks IMHO. A lot less clutter, and the pin-to-start-menu-feature works surprisingly well. It's like quick launch icons, but they also double as the application icon itself too, and if you use it for integrated windows programs, you get a lot more options than just start after you click on the arrow next to the icon.

I have 7 too (in fact, that exact build, lol), but I can't get the new taskbar to work. I tried the stuff here, but it won't let me since I'm not part of one of the domains. What am I doing wrong?

CRAP. I ran it under vista. :wall:

explorer.exe is not a valid win32 application anymore.

EDIT: It does work on Windows 7, lol.

Last edited:
Now THAT looks like it'll be much better than Vista.

Windows 7: The true XP successor? :mrgreen:
Windows Vista: The true ME successor... :glare:

I'll probably get this when the full version comes out, and I can skip Vista as well! :D