Windows fixes thread

Yes, I know that now, but the thing is I've been using XP since it came out in 2001 and for some reason I never knew about it. It should really be on by default. So I just wanted to share in case others didn't know about it :D

Last edited:
I have a problem, I recently got my new laptop and it had XP Pro on it. After a while, I decided to see what Vista was like on it so I loaded up Home Premium. However, stupid Acer's drivers were useless, so I couldn't use my massive video card. But now it really gets annoying. I decided that I really wanted to go back to XP pro but I have problems. Firstly, I tried to re-install XP the way I normally do, by inserting the XP disk at startup. I got to the setup screen, pressed enter, but then it said that it could not find any hard drives :mad:. I happen to have 2x160gb's! If i'm right, this is a widespread problem, all to do with drivers :rolleyes:. Oh, and I can run Vista in dos mode and then start the XP setup from there, that works fine until the computer restarts to complete the setup, then it goes into the blue screen of death.
Sorry about the long post, can anyone please help me?

Here is a registry edit that creates an option in your folder options to hide and show the recycle bin on your desktop.

Windows XP only.

Just unzip and double-click it and it adds this option automatically without fiddling with the registry manually.

Download.

Well after many years of downloading shit my copy of Windows finally crapped out. Had to do a reinstall and it is amazing how fast it runs now.

Here is my problem.. It is pissing me off.. Just copying my post from another forum so don't worry about the edit's in my post.

Basically i went to open up Outlook today to check my emails and when i clicked the program this error message came up.

"You need Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 or later to use this feature. You can download the latest version of Internet Explorer from http://www.microsoft.com"."

Yesterday Outlook worked fine.. Today it doesn't want to work. (I have not changed/added/modified anything)

I use firefox but as far as i can remember I had IE7 installed due to it being a part of vista. I've tried reparing/reinstalling but nothing has changed.. Oh and also, I cannot install IE8 beta or do anything related to IE.

I've googled and tried to find answers and have had no luck. So I am here asking for some help from you guys :)

Anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT ? This problem seems to happen with other programs aswell.. Event Viewer, Computer management and some other administrative progs.

Also I just tried checking the version of internet explorer by going..
Help > About Internet Explorer
There is no version number listed!!!!

Also just checked in registry editor and i couldn't see a version number for IE listed there either.

Yeah that sounds like the registry, your machine doesn't know IE exists.

System restore is a good bet to get the registry back to normal, and as the only reason I can think of for it to be screwed up is an installation, you will have a restore point made before the installation started.

Another option is Regcleaner, which has an orphan file finder to sniff out 'broken links'. Not sure how good it is at that (never needed it), but it's free.

System Restore doesn't work.. After the reboot I get a message saying something like Error, cannot restore system.

I gave RegCleaner and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary relating to IE.

Also tried using the vista disk to repair but outlook still didnt want to open due to IE and IE still didn't show its version number. Bah!

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/03/NoVersionIE.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/03/Msg.jpg

EDIT - YAY BLUESCREEN!!!111one :(
goddammit:x:wall::wall::wall:

Last edited:
Just so you know it wasn't Outlook's problem.. Alot of IE details were missing from the registry and I had to add them in. All problems are fixed now.

Just keep getting the occasional blue screen but I can live with that:p

When I start my Windows Vista, a program called "form 1" starts in backround and on the surface the only thing it does is a "click"-sound every now and then. What is it and how can I get rid of it?

When I start my Windows Vista, a program called "form 1" starts in backround and on the surface the only thing it does is a "click"-sound every now and then. What is it and how can I get rid of it?

Win+R
type msconfig, press enter.

It should be somewhere in the start-up tab.

That's odd, you should have a list of all the programs, the processes and the registry keys. Do you mean you can only see Windows programs?

That's odd, you should have a list of all the programs, the processes and the registry keys. Do you mean you can only see Windows programs?

Well those are in the programs tab, but can find any Form 1

This is more for my own benefit than anyone else's, but I've been fighting with the email on my phone since I upgraded the ROM to WM 6.5 a few days ago. It just refused to send it via my Virgin Media account.

Anyway, I remembered why. I have to send it through the Orange SMTP server: smtp.orange.net with Authentication on.

There, I'll never forget now. :)

I just noticed that when I press Alt+scroll, the Form 1 shows up in the list and all I can make out of the small logo is that it reads HostingDu...