Windows Mobile Thread

Galarm is a fantastic program, it's pay for now but it used to be freeware and the freeware editions are good enough :D

Right, just finished flashing the 6.5 rom to my XDA atom exec.

First impressions - Much neater than 6.1, but takes getting used to.

I miss the haptics from the 6.1 rom though........

Last edited:
^ Which Samsung did you try?

Little things like which ROM version you have can make a difference, but Samsung's interface isn't the best... it's better than the pre-WinMo 6.5 defaults, but not the best of the bunch. Plus, those widgets that you see in all their advertisements and even on the product packaging are all totally useless and gimmicky.

But the good thing is WinMo is fully customizable. The US Omnia (i910) should be a good choice, I think it's $199 on contract from Telus? You can grab and put 6.5 onto it, it makes the whole thing much nicer to use (and does away with most of the Samsung stuff).

The one that I played with was the i900 Omnia. I'll probably just end up with buying an unlocked GSM phone, as I'm on Rogers prepaid. I might be looking for alternatives though, now that they're actually charging you for receiving a text (15 cents vs. free from before). What is a cheap Windows Mobile phone that I can get unlocked for around $400? I'm still quite tempted by the Omnia i900 now.

Right, just finished flashing the 6.5 rom to my XDA atom exec.

First impressions - Much neater than 6.1, but takes getting used to.

I miss the haptics from the 6.1 rom though........

You mean the haptics on the phonepad? There's a few ways of getting haptic feedback depending on where you want to have it.

The one that I played with was the i900 Omnia. I'll probably just end up with buying an unlocked GSM phone, as I'm on Rogers prepaid. I might be looking for alternatives though, now that they're actually charging you for receiving a text (15 cents vs. free from before). What is a cheap Windows Mobile phone that I can get unlocked for around $400? I'm still quite tempted by the Omnia i900 now.

What the eff? Rogers is now charging for incoming texts? I wonder if Fido is the same, I'm not on Rogers... although I guess that doesn't apply to monthly plans?

Anyway, are you willing to pick up a used handset? When the Telus Omnia came out I was curious about the prices of the GSM version, and found them going for mid $300s on craigslist. I paid more than twice for the 16gb last September so it's a good deal now.

Not sure about other WinMo phones, I don't really keep updated on them, but if you're willing to buy GSM unlocked there has to be plenty of choice.

Last edited:
Wonder how well it would work on phones like mine (Blackjack II), i.e. more phone and less PDA. Tiny, non-touch screen. That is if 1) they ever release an update and 2) I ever find it

^XDA developers.

Wonder how well it would work on phones like mine (Blackjack II), i.e. more phone and less PDA. Tiny, non-touch screen. That is if 1) they ever release an update and 2) I ever find it
Most of the 6.5 new stuff covers touch based devices to look and act more as an iPhone. I reverted to my original 6.0 on my motoq since it eats my battery like mad for the "enhanced" home and my BT is unresponsive(excessive lag for my gps to track properly).

Lets hope WM7 will fix up the UI issues with non-touchscreen phones.

I am now considering this:

sm_i780fmg.jpg

I can get one for about $300AUD. Worth it?

I love my blackjack already, so I see this as a natural upgrade. :)

Last edited:
I am now considering this:

sm_i780fmg.jpg

I can get one for about $300AUD. Worth it?

I love my blackjack already, so I see this as a natural upgrade. :)
I've heard mixed opinions on the screen(low visibility in direct sunlight scenarios) and some finnicky gps readings on the first 6.0 roms, the 6.1 rom seems to have ironed out the gps weirdness but i still suggest to have one in your hand before splashing the cash, the various versions for different markets seems to have different screen matrixes so i can't say for sure about asia/aus. XDA devs have quite a community of devs churning out cooked roms if you feel brave and want 6.5(samsung seems uninterested from that front).

The thing is that I would like something with both a touchscreen and QWERTY keypad, but most devices that have both cost a lot more to purchase...

The problem with the Blackjack for me is that the keyboard sacrifices a lot of screen space. I'd get something with a full-screen and slide-out keyboard if there's anything decent in the used market.

There is a Dopod 838pro with a shit load of extras (High cap battery, GPS receiver + software, etc) for about $300 on ebay which is within reach. Seller can flash to WM6.1 before selling too.

Dopod:

Dopod-838.jpg

The other option within the same price bracket atm is the HTC Diamond 1st gen, but I'm not sure how well I'll cope with living without a keypad.

Touch_Diamond_People.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, would be interesting to see how 6.5 would work on my HTC, I use it with a stylus when my fingerpoken doesn't work anyway though (like for typing on the little onscreen keyboard, which can be done with a finger but it doesn't end well).

I have to say I'm fairly happy with WinMo 6.1, it's pretty stable on the HD, only had to reboot once in the last week while I was away, when the start menu wouldn't come up.

Just upgraded to a stripped version of WinMo6.5 w/ Manilla 2D running on my Tilt (Tilt's graphics doesn't support 3D). Love it and is using less resources than 6.1 for me and running much smoother and quicker.

I'm dying to get my hands on my Diamond and flash WM6.5 onto it.

This is an extremely noob question, but I've never owned anything with GPS before. Does using GPS require a data connection, or do I just install, say, google maps onto my phone and I don't need a data connection?

^ Google Maps doesn't contain the maps so it needs a data connection to download them as you move about.

But actual GPS programs all have maps that you load on to your storage and you're good to go, but they will probably cost you quite a bit to buy. ;)

Not sure about the Diamond, but my phone takes so freaking long to get a fix on the GPS. I only use it if I get lost and then I park for a few minutes while it connects...

Last edited:
I don't plan on using GPS often since I prefer old-fashioned maps when driving. More just a nice feature to have around, espcially overseas.

I think there's an app for iPhone that downloads and saves maps from Google, but alas that doesn't help us. :p

Woot! My Diamond just arrived in the mail today.

First impressions are good. The design is really nice, and I can see why they called it the Diamond. The screen is reasonably legible under sunlight, and the whole device has a nice feel to it and the build quality seems good.

I just flashed over to the 6.5 energyROM, so software impressions will have to wait. Call quality also seems ok from my the few test calls I made, and I find typing on the touchscreen to be easier than I imagined it'd be.