Windows problem or hdd problem

Ice_warmer

Every single time i start up windows a partition needs to be checked (just before the list of users show), first time it appeard i let it do it's thing and at the next restart it does the same thing, even after i've reinstalled a fresh copy of windows, anyone know any info on this ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Are you sure Windows is shutting down properly? Sometimes it may BSOD shortly before the PC restarts and that may cause the disks to be flagged for a check on the next startup.

Every single time i start up windows a partition needs to be checked (just before the list of users show), first time it appeard i let it do it's thing and at the next restart it does the same thing, even after i've reinstalled a fresh copy of windows, anyone know any info on this ?

Thanks

time to move on to NTFS

i had the same problem with my old laptop a few years ago. i changed it to ntfs and the scandisk problem is gone.

IMO you will have to format in the future anyway, so might as well as clean up ur hdd and re-format to ntfs.

you other solution will be having to run a full system scandisk in order to get that annoying bootup scandisk procedure to go away.

What Operating System are you running?

If you're running 9X, it's time to get out of the dark ages. It's way past it's support period and downright dangerous to be using.

Otherwise, you can convert your partition to NTFS without damaging it.

in XP :

1.Close all programs

2.Start-> Run-> cmd

3.when in ms-dos, type :

4.convert C: /FS:NTFS

5.Done

As a temporary solution to the scandisc problem (not really a "solution", more like a workaround), you can switch the "perform scandisc at startup after faulty shutdown" off somewhere deep within windows (it's a valid system-internal option though). If you are interested, I can look it up for you.

Still, I have to stress that this is no solution for the actual problem, which probably should be adressed in the above posted ways.

If you're running 9X, it's time to get out of the dark ages. It's way past it's support period and downright dangerous to be using.

It's xp with sp2

in XP :

1.Close all programs

2.Start-> Run-> cmd

3.when in ms-dos, type :

4.convert C: /FS:NTFS

5.Done

It really is that simple ? Do i have to worry about data loss or something like that ?
I'm really not to good at computers.

As a temporary solution to the scandisc problem (not really a "solution", more like a workaround), you can switch the "perform scandisc at startup after faulty shutdown" off somewhere deep within windows (it's a valid system-internal option though). If you are interested, I can look it up for you.

Still, I have to stress that this is no solution for the actual problem, which probably should be adressed in the above posted ways.

I've heard that windows hdd scan is pretty recomended (not because it says just before it starts that is recommended to let it do it's thing, someone told me :p) if it has some errors, it can help ... at least that what he said

Last edited:
It's xp with sp2

It really is that simple ? Do i have to worry about data loss or something like that ?

Yep. It's really that simple.

Any time you're dealing with a hard drive you should worry about data loss. Really, you should be worrying about potential data loss whenever you use the computer. Always keep your important files backed up, and I'd do a backup of your essential files before you convert. You shouldn't have any problems, but you never know.

It's xp with sp2

Formatting a drive partition removes all data on that partition. Make sure you have all the backed up!

Converting is NOT formatting. You SHOULDN'T lose data when you convert file systems. I'd still back things up just in case.

Another thought... Make sure there is enough room on the disk (like at least 1.5GB), and maybe defrag it before you start. You could encounter issues if the disk is full, and the defrag will make it quicker.