Windows Vista out today (general public)

watisdis

Coppin' a feel
I'm wondering if anyone here has got it or is planning to get it or is planing to avoid it.
I'm thinking of upgrading.:think: Suggestions?

i can get a free update for it, but i dont know im going to use it or not. So far, ive heard its pretty and quick, but nothing revolutionary

Even M$ says most people will get Vista with their next hardware upgrade.... is there any benifit for gamers/geeks to upgrade asap? From what I know XP will still be the thing to run for the next few months.

But I know very little about Vista

vista.jpg

Well I'm avoiding it for my own use because I've pretty much gotten used to Macs... As for the rest of my life I'll be using it. I work as tech support at my old high school and they just love Windows. (Which is understandable since most the world uses Windows, and it wouldn't make much sence to teach everyone how to use OSX first)

Even M$ says most people will get Vista with their next hardware upgrade.... is there any benifit for gamers/geeks to upgrade asap? From what I know XP will still be the thing to run for the next few months.

But I know very little about Vista

vista.jpg

The original is better:

http://img299.imageshack.**/img299/5634/915mm4.gif

I'm personally going to hold off on upgrading for another 6 months or so. Let them get all of the kinks out, especially with the drivers.

Not sure what I'm going to do for my mom though. I'm building her a PC right now and debating. I'll probably get Vista without all the fancy dancy stuff (basic version) for her.

Me, I'd get the deluxe Home with all the fancy pretty stuff.

Vista Home Premium OEM is $120 at Newegg. It's not an upgrade version (good) but since it's OEM the license is tied to the motherboard (bad). I would get OEM for a brand-new computer, just not for an old one.

^^
Yeah i'll probably wait 'till I get a new comp.

i'll be looking at vista once my motherboard returns. think my system should run it fine, but i may invest in a new GFX card.

I've been using various betas and now the final release as my only operating system for the last 6 months. it's brilliant, easily the most stable microsoft OS ever even after the final builds of XP and they were superb in my book. love vista to bits, really do.

I'm gonna hold off for awhile till all the drivers are available etc.

no problems with drivers, unless you have something uber unique there's already a vista driver for it. if there's no vista driver 9.9 times out of 10, the XP driver will work 100% perfectly anyway.

I'm gonna try it on my Apple first just so I don't fuck up my main computer which I need for actual work.

My desktop is a few years old but I think it'll be fine to run the good stuff offered by Vista. I'm looking forward to the MCE feature of it the most.

GOOD NEWS!!!! i just got an e-mail from OCUK to say they are sending my motherboard back to me :D :D :banana:

i have waited so long for this

I'm curious about Vista for sure, just a bit hesitent at the moment.

My boss keeps going on about some kind of anti-piracy software (calls it pelinium or something like that), so I'm wondering if that's in there (I've been on again off again when paying attention to Vista's release).

yeah i heard that it doesn't let you play CDs or DVDs :? i didn't believe that, but it could be true. it will be a shame if you can't rip CDs to WMP

I'd recommend installing it on a separate partition to try it out first.
I've had Vista Ultimate RTM installed that way alongside XP Pro now for about a month.
Haven't been able to really put it through it's paces since the NVIDIA 8800 Vista drivers didn't come out until yesterday.

My first impressions:
As with each new release of a Microsoft product, it seems to get more annoying.
I really can't understand that they think a non-casual user can live with this User Account Control the way it works out of the box.

Last edited:
I will avoid it at all costs and let the poor early-adopting suckers suffer from the DRM invasion.

Ptouie on Vista :thumbsdown:

Ubuntu does everything I need, and Windows in general is too locked down for my tastes, so I'm going to skip Vista entirely.