Winter beater just got upgraded (e30 325ixT)

Busy week last week.

Had the car serviced, all fluids changed etc. Also new brakes with pad upgrade to EBC red stuff.

IMGP7674.JPG

IMGP7675.JPG

ix touring happens to be the only e30 with vented rear discs, M3 included..

And on Saturday it was time to test the brakes out at BMW club track day.
ix.jpg

Funny feeling that, driving an old car with standard suspension and good brakes. You slow down as you suspect and then basically fall on your side. :D Also Audi levels of understeer. I think I'll need to adjust my driving lines/style a bit with this car.

:mouse: :may:

Last edited:
Works quite well in the winter, not so much on the track. Serious lack of power.

MXM said:
Why are the rear pads black?

Rear brakes as a whole are original BMW parts as they are bit more difficult to get. I think I'll upgrade the rear pads at some point too, but they take 2-4 weeks to arrive.

I don't get it, it's got drums and discs in the back or what?

Drum is the handbrake.

edit: and I'm slow. :)

Last edited:
maxtortheone, drum is for the handbrake.

Rear brakes as a whole are original BMW parts as they are bit more difficult to get. I think I'll upgrade the rear pads at some point too, but they take 2-4 weeks to arrive.

Drum is the handbrake.

edit: and I'm slow. :)

Interesting, never seen that before

Busy week last week.

Had the car serviced, all fluids changed etc. Also new brakes with pad upgrade to EBC red stuff.

those are better?
i didn't even know they had anything besides green stuff :lol:

those are better?
i didn't even know they had anything besides green stuff :lol:

Yeah, I thought I ordered green stuff pads. :) But red stuff apparently is more kind to your discs and lasts a bit longer, so might be better this way.

Yeah, I thought I ordered green stuff pads. :) But red stuff apparently is more kind to your discs and lasts a bit longer, so might be better this way.

to me, that sounds like being worse :lol:

Umm.. I think you have it wrong way round. Redstuff handles higher temperatures, they sell it for faster and heavier cars, iirc.

Umm.. I think you have it wrong way round. Redstuff handles higher temperatures, they sell it for faster and heavier cars, iirc.

Yeah, the EBC range is quite difficult to follow. Both nominal friction coefficient and lifetime seem to vary quite a bit depending on what Green stuff series you want. GS goes from 0.55nfc and shorter lifetime to 0.45nfc with excellent lifetime. RS is 0.5nfc with medium lifetime. But that's what the list recommended to my car so I'll go with that. :)

Looks like the Ringmeet trip with my ix might be ambitious but rubbish.

Start of summer has been easy enough. Work on the car included engine bay wash, filling up air conditioning etc.

Some last year ringmeeters might recognize a familiar intake setup. :)
IMGP7974.JPG

Then, on gear.fi roadtrip I noticed something wrong with drivetrain. Further diagnosing has shown that rear diff is broken, so front wheel drive only at the moment. I've ordered new diff from Germany since there were none for sale in Finland. Let's see when it'll arrive.

I also ordered new shocks since the ones I have are 7 years old and quite loose. More good news popped up. <_<

P1000091.JPG

I'll pickup new spring struts this weekend but this car is sure going to keep me busy before the meet. :D

Start driving, get towed by Adu, repair on campsite with parts sourced locally. The usual.

Start driving, get towed by Adu, repair on campsite with parts sourced locally. The usual.

The tow by me won't be happening this time, because there's still a very high chance of me not being able to drive.