• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Winter tires :)...Yeah it's that time again

Mischief007

Car(s)
1995 Chevy Camaro Z28, 04 VW Jetta GLS
Basically something that costs up to $120 CDN per tire and is strictly a winter tire.

The Alero comes stock with 225/50/16 and the tire I'm looking at should have 205/55/16 (the only one which won't give me a huge speed difference plus it is recommneded).

I've been looking at Dunlop WinterSport M3s right now but just need to find the price for those tires.

Any other recommendations from the people who see snow for a good portion of the time? :).

Personally I have Nokian WR's : http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm
I only got a brief test in snow and ice though (with global warming and all :twisted: )

In this Dutch test they seem to have a Continental as a winner:
http://www.anwb.nl/published/anwbcm...sts/bandentest/205-resultaten-64369_64408.pdf
Dutch snow tends to be a lot wetter and heavier than the plains of North America, but I'm not sure how it is in the middle of the great lakes.

Tirerack has the Dunlop listed at $109 US and the Continental at $102 US.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...pagemark=1&performance=W&RunFlat=All&x=83&y=4

Thanks ESPNSTI :). Yeah I know the US price from tirerack.com. Been there already.

Interesting article on the Nokain WRs. Might want to look into them. A cost-effective solution for someone who is cheap...:lol:.

Again thanks ESPNSTI :).

you can get blizzak lm-25's for about $125 CDN from tire rack. i have had good luck with blizzaks on a rear wheel drive bmw 318i in western ny (rochester-read "lake effect snow")

these are my winter tires :evil:
09550034000-dlv.jpg

tires AND rims?

Just tires. Going to use the alloys for now.

sandor
Yeah so you're in the same weather situation as me. Southwestern Ontario...

Mischief007 said:
Just tires. Going to use the alloys for now.

sandor
Yeah so you're in the same weather situation as me. Southwestern Ontario...

was :D

i got smart and moved back to philadelphia. went through a number of 120" + winters of snow though. much respect for the blizzaks. i had them mounted on $15 steel rims. truth be told though, i have never met anyone that DIDNT approve of their snow tires, no matter the brand. one of the biggest differences is the tread life when not driving on a snow covered road-some wear a bit quicker.

^ ahh was...:lol:

Even the cheap Coopers I had on my Cavalier helped it out a lot.

Also I found Kumho KW 19s. Anyone heard anything of them?

patrick10 said:
09550034000-dlv.jpg

How are they winter tyres? They look perfectly normal... You poor bastards, buying brand new tyres for winter...

petergun
Very few companies carry Nokians...and I mean very few. Hard to find. I know, the best winter tire in the world is hard to find in the snowbelt :lol:

watto
Are you suggesting used?? That will be even harder to find.

watto said:
patrick10 said:

How are they winter tyres? They look perfectly normal... You poor bastards, buying brand new tyres for winter...
it was a joke bc im going to be sideways more than straight

Mischief007 said:
watto

No, not suggesting used at all.

Do you often use a set for more than one winter? I can just see tyres being a very large part of a North American and European car expense.

watto said:
Mischief007 said:
watto

No, not suggesting used at all.

Do you often use a set for more than one winter? I can just see tyres being a very large part of a North American and European car expense.

My last set was used for 3 winters and the summers were used for 3 summers. I'm still trying to sell my winter tires from my Chevy Cavalier which I used to own. They are still good.

It is an expense but one that must be made with our wonderful weather.

I'm down to these. I'll get a dedicated high performance for the summers with possibly light racing alloys ;).

Anyways, here's the list:
Continental ContiWinterContact TS 810
Bridgestone Blizzak LM 25
Bridgestone Blizzak LM 22
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50
Dunlop WinterSport M3
Dunlop Graspic DS2

Kinda funny. Looking at the list half of it are Blizzaks...:lol:

Just, out of interest, why do Canadians and Americans put on winter tires? Or rotate thier tires? It's not something we do in the UK, we only ever hear references to it on American TV.

Top Gear Girl said:
Just, out of interest, why do Canadians and Americans put on winter tires?

because winter tires perform infinitely better in the snow. period. if you live somewhere that winters bring snow pack on the roads, you get studded winter tires.

Or rotate thier tires? It's not something we do in the UK, we only ever hear references to it on American TV.

because this can easily give you an extra 10-15% tread life overall for the set of four tires. the even treadwear will give you better performance and handling, and being that the little patch of rubber is all that is holding me to the road, i would rather be overly cautious about keeping tread, balance and alignment in proper order.

Studded tires are illegal here in Southwestern Ontario even though we can get 20-40 cm overnight and the streets are packed with snow. That was fun. Using your own car as a plow ;)...:lol:

sandor_ said:
because this can easily give you an extra 10-15% tread life overall for the set of four tires

I wonder why people don't do that in the UK? Are your tires really expensive or something?