Wireless Flashing!

whoster

Car(s)
Lexus GS400
These are my first tries at wireless flashing for the sake of making an object look nice.

Sunpak PZ-5000AF and a Nikon SB-24 was used for these shots, along with some eBay wireless triggers (Cactus PT-04, only about $40 + shipping for two receivers and a transmitter)

I also used a 1/2 CTO (tungsten gel) for the Sunpak unit.

877274933_831f22ba63_o.jpg

878124806_74f69a6a32_o.jpg

877275933_06fc90bf23_o.jpg

877276569_37eac862f0_o.jpg

878126610_843e730f34_o.jpg

the "setup" descriptions can be read on my flickr page HERE

along with a setup shot
878318882_72a6e9be71_o.jpg

yes it is possible with the D70s

but i'm too poor to afford a SB-600 or SB-800 which both work as wireless slaves if the camera is set to commander mode (as i'm sure yuo're aware)

for the price of a single SB-600 i equipped myself with two flashes and wireless units and mountains of batteries! budget photography for the win!

then again you do take some crazy amazing shots.

hehe...

i think my thread might have taken an unexpected turn with BSC's comment..

i really don't even need flashes to flash people either.

Yay! I figured out wireless flashing out of the box with the D200 and the SB-600, its infuckingsane!!

Nice work. And nice to actually see a set-up.

can I use like real dead cheap flashes with a D200? if so, which models?

Depends on how you're triggering them. If you're using the Nikon CLS system, the cheapest flash you can use is the SB-600. If you're using PW's or other radio transmitters, the sky's the limit as long as you can modify the flash to accept a sync plug.

Depends on how you're triggering them. If you're using the Nikon CLS system, the cheapest flash you can use is the SB-600. If you're using PW's or other radio transmitters, the sky's the limit as long as you can modify the flash to accept a sync plug.

enticing, tell me more about the wireless triggers please?

enticing, tell me more about the wireless triggers please?

Well, the Nikon CLS system uses infrared preflashes to communicate between flashes and give you full TTL metering with off-camera lights. Simple, easy, effective, and rather expensive.

Using a radio transmitter/receiver setup (Pocket Wizards, Chinese knockoffs from ebay, etc.) there's no preflashes, and your range is better, but you have to adjust all exposure and light power settings manually. Also, the flash you use must be able to be plugged into the receiver via PC cord or modified with a mini-plug jack. I just got my Chinese knockoff system this week, so I have to finish modifying my flashes to work with them. I have a Vivitar 283 and 2X Vivitar 2800's that I'm modifying with 100K linear potentiometers so I can manually control power output. Vivitars can be connected via PC cord, so I don't need to add a mini plug jack.

So, really, it's all about what you have and how you want to use it. If I had the cash, I'd have full CLS with backup radio triggers for certain situations, but I don't so I have to do what I can with what I've got. Your mileage, as always, may vary.

^ you my friend are a walking encyclopedia to me :)

If i could, I'd go CLS.

but CLS is very expensive. My whole setup probably cost about the same as a SB-600 plus some batteries. Sure it takes some crimping and second-guessing, but for me the severe shortage of $$ makes up for the shortage of "ease" in taking my photos.