• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Wireless Network

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Sienna, crippled people like vans....
I've always just used a crossover cable to link my 2 desktops together and that has worked great. But now I have a laptop which came with a wireless card and I'd like to be able to use it anywhere in the house.

While I do know a bit about PCs, I don't know a whole lot about wireless networks, so I was hoping you guys could lend a hand.

I want one of my desktops to be the host soooo.....
Would I basically just need a wireless router and then a PCI wireless adaptor for the other desktop?

How does this router look:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127143
I like it so far cause it's cheap! And the reviews seem positive. It's IEEE 802.11b/g with up to 54Mbps.

And would this apaptor do the job:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833130105
Or is it smart to get one with an external atenna?

Any advice, tips, etc. ?

I'm curious to know why you want one of your desktops to be the host? If you get a router you can have the router be the host, and filter through the other computers..doing the job you (i think) ultimately want.

-Justin

Ok, so would that mean that I would need a PCI adaptor for both desktops then?

This might make things difficult, but I use satellite as my internet connection and it uses a USB modem which is hooked into my main desktop. Right now I'm sharing that connection through the crossover cable to my other desktop.

So how will I connect this connection to the wireless router? With a lan cable from the network card on my desktop?

Maybe I should ask some other people who use satellite on wireless networks.

On the USB Modem is there an RJ45(ethernet) connection? All of the one's i have seen have both a USB and ethernet connection...Is yours like this aswell?

No, only USB, but it shoudl work somehow since I can share it on my other PC via the LAN network, right?

K, quite problematic ey?
As justin said before, the usb will be a problem unless you have an ethernet connection on it.
Right now I can think of 4 possibilities.
1) You get a wireless pci card for your host computer and share internet the same way you do now. Just see the wireless card as an extra ethernet connection (will be ad hoc if I'm not wrong). This way you will have at least a pci ethernet card and a pci wireless card in your host.
2)You buy an wireless access point with preferably ethernet connections (there always be one for the uplink, you need more). Otherwise you need to buy an extra ethernet-card for you host (cable to desktop and cable to access point).
3) You buy a router and run a cable from your host to your router (not in the uplink) and from the router to the other desktop.(this way you use it as an access point/switch)
4)You buy a router and a new modem(or a router with usb connection, but these are rare). This way you can run cables to both desktops and be able to connect the laptop wireless. With this setup none of the pc's have to be on for another one to get online (and will run better, trust me).

If I where you I'd go for the 4th option. Not the cheapest, but definatly the best.

Now I'm a bit confused (like I said, I don't know a whole lot about wireless networks). I'm to ask some other satellite users what they do and then I'll get back to you guys.

I agree with freerider, it all depends on how much money you want to spend though. If you want to spend the least, then you can just get a wap + nic and run it from your host...But the fourth option would probably be the best and give you the most expandability for future additions to your network.

Oh, and forgot to mention, but I tried to put the options in the same order as the price goes. First cheapest, last most expensive.
And I can see why you're confused, but I just put the options here. If you want more info about a specific option, I'll (and other members too) be happy to explain it better, but I couldn't do that for now, cuz it would be to long.

Greetz Johan

get a second-hand ethernet modem (if you have ADSL it should be about $20) and buy that wireless router. You can then connect both your pc's using ethernet cable, and your laptop wireless.
$50 isnt really that expensive, and ill be way easier to use...

i wonder why you have to ask other users, theyll tell you exactly the same...

bigfoot1942 said:
get a second-hand ethernet modem (if you have ADSL it should be about $20) and buy that wireless router. You can then connect both your pc's using ethernet cable, and your laptop wireless.

umm, I don't have ADSL, I have satellite.....I'm asking other people who have the same satellite modem that I do.

jeffy777 said:
bigfoot1942 said:

umm, I don't have ADSL, I have satellite.....I'm asking other people who have the same satellite modem that I do.
okay, that makes sense...

i didnt get that part :oops:

why don't you just buy that pci card only, it can do host network as well as another router. If you had only notebook and another pc connected via wifi, its easy to do link with those 2 computers. But remember to konfigure it max. safety (like mac-filter or closed network, wtih 5 diffrent 128bit passwords).

Alright I talked to some people with satellite connects like mine and this is what they told me will work:

I can buy the router I posted above and then plug in the desktop that is currnetly the host (the one that has the satellite modem hooked into it) using a standard ethernet cable. Then I need to cofigure it as a switch (disable DHCP and give it an IP address in the 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 address range).

If I buy the wireless PCI adaptor I posted above for the other desktop I will be able to connect to the satellite connection and share files with both the other computers.

Does that seem correct?

EDIT: They also suggested that I just use my existing crossover cable to connect the other desktop to the router. That way I don't need to buy any PCI cards and I'll just need to buy only the router.

yeah i guess thats the way to go... since there are hardly any sattellite ethernet modems around.

you dont need to change anything in you host pc's config, just plug the wireless router on the other end of the crosscable (if the router is smart enough this should work) or else you should buy a patchcable to replace the crosscable.
Next you can use a patchcable to hook up your other computer as well.

but they already told you that :p

Well, if you are only gonne go for wireless conection from one desktop to you're laptop you can juist as well buy a wirells PCI card, or maybe even a USB one, these are far cheaer than wireless routers, and since you aren't gonna route the signale to multiple computers this should work fine.

It's a lot cheaper and easier to just buy a wireless PCI card for the computer that has the internet connection. You don't need to buy a router or anything. You keep the second computer connected with the crossover cable and share the internet with the laptop using the PCI card. I do the same thing with our network.

chaos386 said:
It's a lot cheaper and easier to just buy a wireless PCI card for the computer that has the internet connection. You don't need to buy a router or anything. You keep the second computer connected with the crossover cable and share the internet with the laptop using the PCI card. I do the same thing with our network.
a router would make a better connection (higher quality), and it is easier to configure. and its only $30....

bigfoot1942 said:
chaos386 said:
a router would make a better connection (higher quality), and it is easier to configure. and its only $30....

Exactly, and you never know when those extra LAN ports on it will come in handy, or if I ever get another PC it will be helpful to have the wireless router.

Yep, exactly. You have to weigh whether you want a quck / cheap fix for now or have something that you can expand on later.