WMP11 won't play Top Gear

Roadster44

Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I used to have klite codec installed, but then I upgraded motherboard, installed XP Pro, updated to SP3 and now WMP won't play TG like it used to...I downloaded DivX, but I don't really like it. What are my options? Is there a specific setting I need to change within k-lite code pack program?

WMP11 SUCKS HAIRY BALLS!!! Get VLC or KMP. :D

I got VLC and it won't work either! This is a major fail!!! Thank you though!!!

It won't work with VLC? Sounds like something is wrong with the file then.

This is a major fail!!!

You cannot talk of major fail if you yourself want to use WMP...

Anyway, uninstall every codec you got, get cccp and be happy... On the other hand, if vlc doesn't work, you could have all kinds of fail at hand...

how does one bollocks up VLC? which is rather foolproof.

redownload the file in question maybe, or maybe pray a lot, who knows.

hope you fix it, i know i couldnt last long without my daily TG fix.

Yeah if VLC cannot play it there is something seriously wrong with your puter.

I recommend FFDshow, best codec package in the business and doesn't sink hooks into your computer! Been using the 64bit experimental build on Vista Ultimate since I got it :)

You need Xvid, or even better, FFDshow. Don't install those huge codec packs -- they suck.

First of all: please describe in exact detail how playback of your TG eps 'don't work'

1. does it make your media players crash and not even open?

2. does it open up but you get all black with no audio?

3. do you get intact audio and video but a scrambled unwatchable picture?

if its option 3 then you probably dont have all the proper latest divx codecs installed

if its the other 2, then something is screwed up with your computer.

use mpcstar ;D

Realplayer, I've found, is a perfect alternative to Media Player.

VLC has to be the all around best though. I haven't found a file type that it doesn't play...

It's like buying a ton of horse manure and saying:"It doesn't smell that bad!". :lol:

WMP11 with the correct codecs works excellent.
I dont get why people shit all over WMP, it works fine, playing everything from .flv to highdefinition .mkv stuff.
Some people just have to diss Microsoft I guess, no matter how the software works.
I run Vista Ultimate x64, IE8, Firefox, WMP11, software from Nikon and Adobe, Winamp, PS3 Mediaserver, MKVmergeGUI, VirtualDub, EVEREST Ultimate and some other stuff, and the OS and everything is rock solid.
The problem for people complaining about stuff not working isnt a problem with the software, the problem is the user.

Let's give it a whirl...I'll uninstall the packs and install ffdshow and VLC. Thanks guys...

You don't need ffdshow and VLC since the latter brings its own codecs.

anything I need to keep in mind when installing ffdshow or VLC? I haven't decided which one to go with yet, but there are many options on which I'm quite clueless on!