Women sport

IVIaster

Not a dude.
Car(s)
2000 Volvo V70
Why dont American women play American football or baseball? Women easily play icehockey and basketball, even wrestling. Heck, here in Finland, we have one women american football team.

Women are smarter than men (!!!) and have realized how retarded and boring American Football is.

Why dont American women play American football or baseball?

There's probably some who play football, but not many as the whole point of football is big, heavy people. Most girls have a much smaller frame.

As for baseball, they do -- it's called softball. College softball is pretty big.

Why dont American women play American football or baseball? Women easily play icehockey and basketball, even wrestling. Heck, here in Finland, we have one women american football team.

My sixth grade teacher played linebacker in a women's semi-professional football league that no one has ever heard of. Women's sports are just usually more boring than men's sports for some reason. And as Viper said, college softball is actually quite big here.

Just a FYI: during the last Olympics people wanted to (or did?) ban women's wrestling, because the sight of sweaty women in tight outfits in such close physical contact was deemed too "inappropriate". Seems like only men get to grab each other down in tight clothing :roll:

Why exactly are women's sports more "boring" to look at? Cuz women (soccer) players don't try and bash each other into the hospital all the time? I heard that there was something about allowing women's soccer to be broadcast on national TV here, provided the players wore tighter shorts>_< Of course the players in question told the TV people to shove it.

Just a FYI: during the last Olympics people wanted to (or did?) ban women's wrestling, because the sight of sweaty women in tight outfits in such close physical contact was deemed too "inappropriate". Seems like only men get to grab each other down in tight clothing :roll:

But there is truth in that, as it is inappropriate to vast majority of society.

Why exactly are women's sports more "boring" to look at? Cuz women (soccer) players don't try and bash each other into the hospital all the time?

Correct. Like it or not, the very basic view humans have toward gender roles is that the female is the protector of the innocent and the nurturer, not the barbarian. You can get mad about it and deem it old fashioned and backwards, but the glaring truth is that human gender roles are a part of instinct behavior and nearly impossible to repeal.

Like James Brown once sang "This is a mans world...but it would be nothing, without the woman..."

The quality of the play of Tennis is actually quite comparable to men's Tennis.
Even though there is a rule of thumb for tennis that the #1 woman pro and the #50 man pro are about equal, the speed relative to how fast women can run compared to how hard they hit is about equal with respect to mens.
And also the quality of shots and accuracy are pretty equal.

Women don't play football (or at least people don't watch them do it) because it is a spectacle of power- you want to watch people do amazing physical acts. Since there is no way a team of women is going to be as strong or able as a professional team of men, their games are intrinsically less interesting. That is the same reason most people don't pay attention to women's basketball when they can watch men.

The quality of the play of Tennis is actually quite comparable to men's Tennis.
Even though there is a rule of thumb for tennis that the #1 woman pro and the #50 man pro are about equal, the speed relative to how fast women can run compared to how hard they hit is about equal with respect to mens.
And also the quality of shots and accuracy are pretty equal.

I have to say I completely disagree with you. My tennis coach played on tour in Canada for a while and said that the males are much more dominate. He stated that he could compete with the Top 20 in womans tennis while he was ranked in the 100s in Canada.

As for the shots, men generally have much more power so the accuracy might be equal but with the speed difference the quality would be much different.

I played American Football in Germany against a team that had a woman in it (couldn't figure out which one it was though), and against another team who had a QB with a prosthetic leg.

The only sport I really enjoy watching that have women in them is autosport (Danica Patrick, Katherine Legge, Milka Duno, Sarah Fisher, Ashley Force, etc...).
I would love to see more of them make it.
What's unique about that though is that they're competing against men which makes it more interesting.
I generally find watching all-men sports more interesting then all-women sports.
There are a few exceptions like tennis, but that's probably because of eye-candy reasons. :)
If it is mixed it might be much more interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing golf go in tha t direction, I might actually watch it then.

O and my age AAA (highest regional hockey league for neighboring cities and run by the city) can compete with the Canadians womans team. Or so they and others say.

I can't speak for other parts of the world, but in the US, women's basketball is just boring to watch. I'm not saying that they should intentionally try to make it more exciting, but I just get the feeling that they aren't as competitive. Plus the large absence of dunks in WNBA games doesn't help.

Here are some great plays by the 1992 US Dream Team that I would never expect to see in a women's basketball game.
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=R9oXs9x3Vdg[/YOUTUBE]

I heard that there was something about allowing women's soccer to be broadcast on national TV here, provided the players wore tighter shorts>_< Of course the players in question told the TV people to shove it.

It was a british idea to make the sport more..."attractive" to male TV-viewers.

I know softball, but why cant women play the usual baseball? Almost same rules.

^Probably because women have less upper body strength, so they can't pitch/hit a ball hard enough for baseball?

Jayhawk wrote:But there is truth in that, as it is inappropriate to vast majority of society.

Uh, which society are we talking about here? And what "majority"? The male one I suppose? And if we're talking about banning women's sports because they're inappropriate, why is there still women's judo in the Olympics (to name something similar to wrestling)?

^Probably because women have less upper body strength, so they can't pitch/hit a ball hard enough for baseball?

I'm sure that's the excuse used, but I honestly don't think it's true. I knew a girl in high school who was the pitcher for the softball team, and she could throw a fastball over 70 mph. The average major league pitcher can throw a fastball around 90 mph, and that's with a smaller, denser ball thrown overhand rather than underhand.

We get alot of womens football(soccer) here in Sweden, and i like that better.. Because they don't throw themselfs to the ground everytime an opponent comes near them..

Uh, which society are we talking about here? And what "majority"? The male one I suppose? And if we're talking about banning women's sports because they're inappropriate, why is there still women's judo in the Olympics (to name something similar to wrestling)?

I implore you to re-read my second paragraph.

Micra...sometimes you are quick to be offended, agitated and defensive; like it or not, others will not always agree with you. :) And I myself will not always take the politically correct or unoffensive road.
To throw your beliefs, morals and ideals into another persons perception of morality and beliefs and expect instant agreement will cause resistance and the reevaluation, tempering and strengthening of that persons own beliefs.

So you problem doesn't have anything to do with sport, right? Youre just abit angry cuz someone somewhere wanted to do something for men? Drop it. Theres cheerleaders in american football for that reason... players are men, viewers are men... let's give the viewers something to see on half time and lets get the girls to scream to up players morale. I ask you what the fuck is wrong with that? Nobody forced them to dance there and scream and I bet they know why they are there for anyway. There's plenty of TV shows, events and whatever that have hunky men sweating for absolutley no reason. They are there so WOMEN have something to see.

Now THAT is sexist too. Is it not? But I hardly hear men bitching about it, know why? It is completly normal.

Oh and on topic.
Personally I think that womens sport is not as popular because they don't achieve the same athletic results as men. Sure an athlete woman could probably kick my ass but they just cannot perform as well as men when it comes to sport. It's just biology I guess and there is nothing anyone can do about it. And seriously... the only place I want to see 2 women wrestle eachother is not in a ring. ^_^
It jus't isn't nice to see a woman bleed, break her nose and lip or something because of a stupid sport like wrestling, American Football, Boxing or whatever. I think women should be above that... and sorry, but they should understand that vast majority of men, i.e people that watch sport, don't want to see that.

Last edited: