World of Top Gear Cars going for scrap?

Andeh

is teahte tbungafloed
Car(s)
Fiestas, Mondeos, Anglia, Austin 7, Corsair, Chrys
I only saw the World of Top Gear Exhibit for the first time last month, on the hunch that before long it would disappear with (presumably) the BBC still owing the cars, and most the exhibits being Clarkson era items. Interestingly they did have the Volvo and the Mercedes from New New Top Gear's Kazak trip, perhaps a sign of moving on?

Anyway, low-and-behold, just come up on eBay is an advert stating that this dealer will be breaking May's India Farce Rolls next week. I'm not sure if I believe the advert, but if it's correct, it and many more TG challenge cars will soon be gone. :( Glad I saw them when I had the chance! It seems the most famous stuff such as the Hilux and the Amphibious vehicles will be surviving.

Here's the ad anyway.

"1: Jeremy?s Vauxhall Frontera pickup truck , the white one that was cut in half. Registration S268ANV is to scrapped
2: Jeep Cherokee. This is the cammo car that Richard drove on the same shoot. STORE
3: Mitsubishi Shogun. James?s car on the same shoot. I have checked it over and I would recommend to scrap this.X303HHY TO SCRAP
4: Jeremy?s Transit hover van. STORE FOR NOW
5: Richards Land Rover Defender Motorhome.. STORE
6: Lotus submarine .STORE
7: BMW Britcup 24. Jeremy?s race car. A big build, worth keeping for parts alone. STORE
8: Suzuki Swift Football Car(Union Jack colours).STORE
9: Jeremy?s Indian Special Jag XJS.). NSV434 TO SCRAP
10: James?s Rolls Royce Silver Shadow from the same shoot. STORE in stock now
11: Jaguar/Metro Double Decker. . SCRAP if there is number plates please provide
12: Toyota/Micra Double Decker. Same as above. SCRAP if there is number plates please provide
13: Hearse Ambulance. . SCRAP N921AJX
14: American Day Van/Nuclear Waste. Same as above. . SCRAP if there is number plates please provide
15: Richard?s MGF Limo Bowling Alley Car.. "

EDIT: The Beaulieu Motor Museum webpage says the exhibit is currently undergoing a refresh, so I think we can safely assume the above will be scrapped. At least the good stuff has been kept!

Last edited:
Sorry, Andeh, but the fact of the matter is these things are basically pieces of crap. Unless you are a complete and utter TG nutcase with plenty of space and money they are, to all intents and purposes, worthless. They won't ever appreciate and I can't see them coming under the hammer in 50 years' time at Christie's and going for millions.

I can't really argue with that list, they're keeping the good ones. Would be nice to see something done with the Britcar BMW.

World of Top Gear Cars going for scrap?

If richard's amphibious VW van goes up, I think it would be great to re-seal and install bilge pumps with a radiator relocation and electric fans. Just for the image alone of a van crushing the river.

They're saving the land rover camper? That was just a pickup truck with some metal panels. That seems completely worthless.

Only ones I think are good to save would be hilux, ?100 cars, amphibious cars, Britcar BMW, police cars, Geoff, and hover van.

Last edited:
Honestly, if they're going to scrap, why not take a chance to auction them? For a charity?
I've seen way more stupid crap getting sold at auction.

Honestly, if they're going to scrap, why not take a chance to auction them? For a charity?
I've seen way more stupid crap getting sold at auction.

I suspect liability. Someone might try to put them back on the road at some point and many of them have had poorly done modifications that permanently weaken them or otherwise render them unsafe. That's a huge pot of unlimited liability right there.

That's true, but I'm sure a lawyer can conjure up a document the buyer will have to sing making them a display piece only... Don't think it's impossible

Why not just remove registration and flag the VIN with MOT?

That's true, but I'm sure a lawyer can conjure up a document the buyer will have to sing making them a display piece only... Don't think it's impossible

That's been done over here with some show cars with mixed results. Even if the first buyer doesn't do it, the guy who buys it after him might and that can cause all sorts of legal issues. It's unfortunate, but it's come back to bite the big US media corps enough that they basically don't sell off modified 'star' cars any more. I would assume the BBC is adopting the same 'better safe than sorry' policy.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not just remove registration and flag the VIN with MOT?

Easy export to other countries over there makes it a joke.

These should of been auctioned, I bet they would sold for at least something. And any sort of legal waiver of liability solves the putting it back on the road danger in a nanosecond. I think this is being done on purpose...