World Perspective of Barack Obama

OldSkoolGP

Car(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
For those around the world that have been following it, you know by now that the United States has elected a new president. And if you're an American like me, you realize what an historic event it is. I know this election has been closely followed by the BBC. Now if you are American, you either like Barack Obama or you don't, and that debate is for another thread. What I would like to learn in this thread is some information from the rest of the world. As I grow older, I recognize just how important the rest of the world is, no matter what country or creed its citizens are from, and a world community is only established when you hear world viewpoints.

For those that would like to answer, I am interested in the following:

1) Did you folow the presidential election in any capacity?

2) Does the result change your feelings or opinions about America in any way?

I'm not looking to start any kind of political scrum or anything, I'm merely interested in what the rest of the world is thinking. I appriciate any viewpoints you offer.

1) As you say, the BBC provided extensive coverage and I use the Firefox tab to keep pace with world events through the BBC. Impossible not to take some interest I guess.

2) Not really, no.

1) Yes. cnn.com, BBC, one of our TV channels had a live feed from ABC. I like to keep myself informed.

2) No.

1) No

2) No

1) yes

2) no, just because I didn't agree with things that Bush did doesn't mean I painted all Americans with the same brush likewise with whatever Obama does.

1) It was on my tv here.

2) Yes, because i honestly thought there were more people in America they wouldn't vote for him due to the colour of his skin. I was pleasantly suprised and even impressed about that.

Last edited:
1) Yes I did. It was quite hard to avoid as the media here kept us updated on the campaigns of both parties prior to the elections and the actual elections itself was broadcasted live on TV and radio here. But I did have an active interest in the election and I visited BBC (thanks to my trusty RSS feed) and here to find out any proceedings.

2) Not really. Changing the leader doesn't change my feelings of the American people and America as a whole.

Last edited:
2) Yes, because i honestly thought there were more people in America they wouldn't vote for him due to the colour of his skin. I was pleasantly suprised and even impressed about that.

Don't be. I can guarantee there are people who voted (both for and against President-elect Obama) based on race. For every person of above average intelligence, there's someone who's a bit subpar.

Good topic, but it should be in the Political Section.

I am still amazed by the fact that 65% of you actually went voting. Looks like you just have to be neck-deep in shit until you start growing an interest for politics. Still good thing they voted the black guy, didn't expect that.

Don't be. I can guarantee there are people who voted (both for and against President-elect Obama) based on race. For every person of above average intelligence, there's someone who's a bit subpar.

The irony of this is that both people who said race was a factor and those that didn't have race factor into their decision both broke to Obama.

Now that you mention it, the television coverage i was watching mentioned that in one state (can't remember which one) that out of the total African american population in that state over 95% voted for Obama and the majority of caucasians in that state voted for McCain. It was only one state but it was still disappointing to see none the less. Overall though it seemed as if the better man won.

1) Yes.

2) No. I think this might mean a whole lot to americans, especially black americans but if it?s now Obama or it may have been Clintion doesn?t make much difference to me. If after 8 years of Bush Americans would still have voted republican, then my opinion about America might have changed a bit. But as "we" agree that the republican Bush screwed up for everybody and that Us-politics need a change ... my opinion hasn?t really changed. I still belive in America ... (mostly) ;)

1) no

2) no not yet. But I'm hoping for CHANGE! He's got his work cut out for him though, Bush left him a huge shitstorm to clean up

After 2004 I checked out of following US presidential elections. I haven't actively followed the coverage except to see the result today (wednesday this side of the date line).

I think that like Australia, America has a "two-party state", what I've heard of Obama's views on foreign policy doesn't lead me to believe that a sharp change will take place. I've learned of how Clinton and even Carter continued USA's "imperialist" policies (using its power to serve its own interests) but at least someone who is not surrounded by neocons the way GWB was might be less inclined to bomb, embargo, invade etc. other countries.

After 2004 I checked out of following US presidential elections. I haven't actively followed the coverage except to see the result today (wednesday this side of the date line).

I think that like Australia, America has a "two-party state", what I've heard of Obama's views on foreign policy doesn't lead me to believe that a sharp change will take place. I've learned of how Clinton and even Carter continued USA's "imperialist" policies (using its power to serve its own interests) but at least someone who is not surrounded by neocons the way GWB was might be less inclined to bomb, embargo, invade etc. other countries.

I'd be questioning the government if they weren't acting in our own interests

1.) No - have heard about it on the radio

2.) No - To be honest with the way things are at the moment I feel that us brits should be keeping a close eye on our own affairs first and foremost. Granted that american politics do seem to influlence our own but at least the americans top man was voted in unlike ours!

I'd be questioning the government if they weren't acting in our own interests

You might want to research the Vietnam war, the embargo of Cuba, the coup in Chile by Pinochet, the Iran/Contra scandal, invasion of Panama, the drug war in Columbia, the invasion of Iraq, the short-lived Venezuelan coup etc. before making statements like that.
I hope you're not the sort of person who thought that detaining people indefinitely in detention centres (in Australia) was a good idea.

Last edited: