World Perspective of Barack Obama

You might want to research the Vietnam war, the embargo of Cuba, the coup in Chile by Pinochet, the Iran/Contra scandal, invasion of Panama, the drug war in Columbia, the invasion of Iraq, the short-lived Venezuelan coup etc. before making statements like that.
I hope you're not the sort of person who thought that detaining people indefinitely in detention centres (in Australia) was a good idea.

Note what I said

I'd be questioning the government if they weren't acting in our own interests

Are not all the things you listed things that people have questioned the governments actions on?

Are not all the things you listed things that people have questioned the governments actions on?

It appears that it takes a protracted war for questions to start being asked (Vietnam, Iraq) and mainly concerning why it wasn't a success, not why were they there in the first place. Otherwise it's invisible.

1) I followed the campaign with one eye most of the time but last night (thanks to the fact that I have a free day today) I watched the elections live on Phoenix, which is our best channel here for the live covering of large events.

2) Yes and no. I never believed that the American people as an entity changed very much. But I had the feeling they were driven by fear and hysteria for some time by the trauma of 9/11.
However, this election shows me that the people of the USA still has the ability to clean up their own house, when it gets too dirty. Frankly I had begun to doubt that, when they re-elected George W. Bush in 2004.
For a time the USA drifted into a completely wrong direction and Obama now has a hell of a mess to clean up (both inside and outside of the country) to restore the country's reputation in the world and to earn the world's trust again.
But I sense a great potential in him to be a good president, a good leader, a real statesman and a connector of people. Which also means that I keep my fingers crossed, that he doesn't get shot or something...

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who has provided input. It has provided me a very interesting perpesctive on what the rest of the world is thinking, especially you auckers, glad to hear it! One of the things the media here tries to tell us is the rest of the world was really watching to see who won. I checked out the BBC news site this morning and they had some rough views of major countries around the world. I know the European media is a lot freer and talks about things our media is afraid, so to hear what you all are thinking means a lot. Thanks and keep it coming! I need to hear from some Vikings!

BTW, I should have looked harder to see there was a politcal section. My bad!

1. I was living in Florida when it was Hillary vs Barack. and left a few months before Barack was confirmed. I kept up passively. Watched most the funny moments.

2. I have a renewed faith in America. Mind you I also like McCain. The man has principles but I think he would've made a better president if he ran in 2000 or 2004.

1) Yes, it would be hard to avoid seeing it in the news here. And of course, what happens with America affects Canada since they're our only neighbor and our biggest trading partner, and thus a big part of our economy depends on them. It would be quite wise to lend an ear to American events.

2) No, not really. Don't think that Americans' views changed overnight or anything like that. Sure, they may have experienced a historical event for their nation, but people's values and beliefs tend to stay the same. That being said, I had all the faith in them to make a good choice in this election and I'm glad they went Democratic, since they need to be focusing on internal matters now and peace keeping rather than starting wars and harsh external agendas.

I'm hoping Obama's efforts will go a long way towards restoring good international relations between America and the rest of the world. God knows Bush just blew it when he went against the UN and on his own. That's not what the world wants to see and it's not what Americans should want to see either. First off, it was rash ... America carried the whole brunt of the war and it pretty much shows, and secondly, they pissed off everyone.

EDIT: And I'm glad they picked an intellectual this time. George W Bush is a damn idiot.

Last edited:
I am still amazed by the fact that 65% of you actually went voting. Looks like you just have to be neck-deep in shit until you start growing an interest for politics. Still good thing they voted the black guy, didn't expect that.

As a percentage of registered voters voting the United States is ahead of most European countries including those in Western Europe. Check out the latest National Geographic for the article.

1.) Yes. It was hard to Ignore it really. The candidates, and their spouses, came to my area dozens of times.

2.) No.

2) Yes, because i honestly thought there were more people in America they wouldn't vote for him due to the colour of his skin. I was pleasantly suprised and even impressed about that.

I didn't expected him to win...:|

1. Yes.

2. No. Both of the candidates have their pros and cons, so I don't know why it should. But the reign of GWB can hardly be seen as a success, so I think the republicans deseved to lose even though McCain might have been a good candidate.

As a percentage of registered voters voting the United States is ahead of most European countries including those in Western Europe. Check out the latest National Geographic for the article.

How many other countries other than the US have the concept of registered voters though? Here at least, you become a registered voter automatically as soon as you're 18, all you need to do is come to the polling station and vote.

I think, for what it's worth, this election has proved one thing. People have said it for years, but it finally has been proven. When someone tells their children, "Anyone can be President, including you." that statement finally has merit. And I'm not referring to the color of the man's skin, but his upbringing, his non-nuclear American family, etc... etc...

1) I'm a political junkie, so I followed (as well as voted).

2) I'm not sure. I mean we voted for the man because the economy is in the shitter, even though the president doesn't have much control over the overall state of the economy. I can tell you I'm more optimistic now than I was after the 2000 and 2004 elections. But in a two-party system, a lot of times you are choosing the lesser of two evils. I'm still embarrased by some people in the country I live in. A nearby community was featured on the front page of the Washington Post back in the spring because of the number of people who believed rumors on the Internet about Obama and took those rumors as fact. On the same note, I also know people who voted for him entirely based on the color of his skin. I can see why our Founding Fathers thought the Electoral College system was the way to go.

That being said, I voted for the candidate who had the best views towards the issues that I believe to be important. I then took a hard look at both vice-presidential candidates (because it's not beyond the realm of possibility that either Biden or Palin would have to assume the presidency). That helped me make my final decision.

In my graduate classes that I am in (pursuing my MBA) we have several Chinese nationals with us, and the one and I were talking the other day about upcoming elections. I told him about the system, our 3rd party candidates, and all the bullshit that comes with a democracy. He then proceeded to tell me that he more then anything wishes that he could vote, but is pessimistic about seeing a revolution in his lifetime.

Will Barack do well? I don't know. But I'm still in awe sometimes that we have the ability to make that choice, no matter how messed up the system might actually be.

1) live in canada.. can't escape US politics.. our countries are to entwined to be able to escape it.

2) Where to start. I guess congrats to Obama and those who supported him. A Black man now holds the highest office in america, and arguably the most powerful position in the world. He has risen through the ranks, based on hard work and sacrifice, and proved that in america, anyone can be president if they work hard enough. He has achieved MLK's dream, although probably not in the fashion MLK would have wanted. He has proved that a black person in america has no limits except those that they give themselves. I just wonder when affirmative action, racial quotas and racial profiling will cease to exist, will the democrats finally admit that race is no longer a factor in america. Unfortunately, the headlines I read, the message boards I glance at, the news reports all shout the same rhetoric, a black man is president.. now it's our turn...not a democrat is president, not a scholar is president, not an honoured american is president.. nope.. it's still about race. I just hope people realize that they didn't elect MLK, they elected Malcom-X..

I guess my views of america aren't changed. My wife is american, my daughter is american, but we still chose to live in Canada, for good reason, we judge people by the content of their character, not by the colour of their skin.

I think the only thing that Obama will be remembered for is that he was the first black president. I think this because of just how much it has been mentioned. How great it is that America can elect an african-american. Well IMO, that's the wrong message to be sending and the wrong reasons to elect a person. Race shouldn't be a part of it. But, because he is the first, it is a big deal and I think this will overshadow his term in office and that is all he will be remembered for. Hopefully for any subsequent black nominees, the world can move away from that and get down to what the man (or woman) is really about.

1. Hell yeah. :)

2. Some, but not much. America is, and has always been a great country. Electing a president doesn't change that. What is impressive is how long America has traveled from the racial discrimination in the 60s, to electing an African-American as president. I don't want to make too big a point of it, but we can't ignore the elephant in the room.

In essense, not much have changed in my opinion. What I'm expecting, is Obama not to f*ck this up. If he does, I'm throwing in the towel.. :)

For those around the world that have been following it, you know by now that the United States has elected a new president. And if you're an American like me, you realize what an historic event it is. I know this election has been closely followed by the BBC. Now if you are American, you either like Barack Obama or you don't, and that debate is for another thread. What I would like to learn in this thread is some information from the rest of the world. As I grow older, I recognize just how important the rest of the world is, no matter what country or creed its citizens are from, and a world community is only established when you hear world viewpoints.

For those that would like to answer, I am interested in the following:

1) Did you folow the presidential election in any capacity?

2) Does the result change your feelings or opinions about America in any way?

I'm not looking to start any kind of political scrum or anything, I'm merely interested in what the rest of the world is thinking. I appriciate any viewpoints you offer.

1) Yes, since the beginning almost.

2) Not really, it just shows that america is slightly less divided now.
It's great that it annoys SteveLevin though. :lol:<3

1)The french media made so much noise about this election that it was hard not to ear about it. The Sarkozy 's gvt used advantage of this to pass unpopular laws. You should have eard the said media today : i thought that Obama was elected president of the french republic.
GWB will not be regreted here

2)Yes and no.
Yes for the individuals and no for the state (USA) which will follow the same imperialist policy.

1) Did you folow the presidential election in any capacity?

Plenty of cnn.com and dutch coverage

2) Does the result change your feelings or opinions about America in any way?

Yes and No. Like many people, I lost some faith in the US after seeing bush elected in a questionable way in 2000 and the things he did the last 8 years. So in that way its a relieve to see him go but it was clear from the start that whatever happend, he would be gone by '09 whether it would be obama of mccain.:lol:
As for the US and mostly their citizens, my opinion has always been good.