• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

World the Warmest Since 800AD Researchers Say

jensked said:
Ok, completely off topic here (sorry):

Did you know another guy has the same avatar as you do?

That infidel!

By the way, can you explain the sig and the avatar for a n00b like me?

the guy in question is here:
http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?t=9898
It's similiar, yet slightly different.

I wouldn't mind if my part of the world warmed up a wee bit more. It's a bit frigid at the moment. The summers aren't all that hot either. Rarely get's over 90 degrees F.

The avatar is from the anime miniseries Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex. A "super hacker" uses that avatar to disguise himself, he can simultaneously "hack" people's vision and cameras to make the avatar appear above his face or the face of the person he is controlling. It sounds a lot lamer than it is, it's a pretty cool anime. The hacker's name is "The Laughing Man" and the rotating text on the outer ring reads:
The Laughing Man said:
I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
A statement that ties into the story as the series progresses. I think that person actually used that avatar on this board before me, but I have had it for years on various forums, as have other people, it's not something I made up.
laughing_man_elmex.jpg

This is actually me disguised in the same way:
http://img159.imageshack.**/img159/5734/lm6xd.jpg

Back OT:

The term "global warming" is somewhat of a misnomer, the earth's average temperature may be rising, but some areas would experience increased cold instead of record high temperatures.

It's worth noting that there have been MUCH warmer and more drastic climates than the current one as indicated by fossil records, however, this appears to be the fastest change as far as our records indicate.

I would also like to quote some posts from Slashdot:
"From 1986 to 2000 central Antartic valleys cooled .7 C per decade with serious ecosystem damage from cold"

'Antartic climate cooling and terrestrial ecosystem response' Nature 415: 517-20

----

"Both satellite data and ground stations show slight cooling over the last 20 years."

'Variability and trends in ANtartic surface temperates from in situ and satellite infared measurements' Journal of CLimate, 13: 1674-96

----

"Side-looking radar measurements show West Antartic ice is increasing at 26.8 gigatons/yr. Reversing the melting trend of the last 6000 years"

'Positive mass balance of the Ross Ice Streams, West Antarticia' Science 295: 476-80

----

"During the last four interglacials, going back 420,000 years, the Earth was warmer than it is today."

'CLimate and atmospheric history of hte past 420,000 years from the Vostok Ice Core, Antartica' Nature 399: 429-36

----

"Less Antartic ice has melted today than occured furing the last interglacial"

'Radiocarbon constrains on ice sheet advance and retreat in the Weddell Sea, Antartica' Geology 27: 179-82

----

The Sahara has shrunk since 1980

'Africans go back to the land as plants reclaim the desert' New Scientist 175, 21 September 2002.

----

On the other hand sea level *is* rising, as it has been for the last 6000 years since the satart of the Holocene, about 10-20 cm every 100 years.

http://www.csr.utexas.edu/gmsl/main.html [utexas.edu]

----

Hell I could throw in stats and references about the decreases in tropical storm activity, but I think I've made my point enough.
Earth is way overdue for a magnetic field reversal [wikipedia.org]. They have an average interval of 1/4 million years and it has been 3/4 million already since the last one. Some say it is beginning with the loss of a magnetic pole in certain places in the southern hemisphere. It could be the cause of the ozone layer loss because as the field weakens it radius at the poles grows. When the field is strong the field meets at the poles in a tight radius.

Here are some cool sims [psc.edu] from Los Alamos National Laboratory.

As we lose protection more radiation gets through and mother earth gets a temperature. I'm not saying that 100 years of intense burning hasn't contributed but this seems to be an ignored fact that may be contributing in a large manner.

I first heard of this from watching a NOVA program. Here is the NOVA site on earths magnetic fields with some animations [pbs.org].

Ok, now where did I put the SPF 10,000?
The findings support the argument for global warming as a result of human interference rather than natural climate change.

No it doesn't. Every hear of the thing that is 93,000,000 miles away called the Sun? It's causing global warming of Mars as well.

All I can say to Global Warming: We currently have the some of the worst (meaning cold and snowy, but then I'm a Snowboarder, so I like it) Winter ever since I was a kid...
I'm with Jezza here: Its HUGE BS!!!

It's called the sun is heating up you fools!! This happens over the lifetime of a star

flyingfridge said:
It's called the sun is heating up you fools!! This happens over the lifetime of a star

But the Sun isn't that old, its got another couple billion years before it gets to the point of the planet being roasted by uncontrolled nuclear fusion :-D

oh yeah, that's true, it is warming up though.

The Sun is growing and after some billion years it will eat up the earth.

Global warming is BS.

Soon a new iceage will start and we are at the end of the last one.
There used to be ice all over Finland but where is that ice now?
I bet there wasn't any SUV driving around back then.

It's just Bullshit.

Buba said:
All I can say to Global Warming: We currently have the some of the worst (meaning cold and snowy, but then I'm a Snowboarder, so I like it) Winter ever since I was a kid...
I'm with Jezza here: Its HUGE BS!!!
it snows more when its not that cold...in frankfurt, a few winters ago we had -15 to -20 ?C and hardly any snow. this year we had a relatively mild winter and lots of snow even here...
global warming is no BS...

So explain why we got plenty of snow when it's -20.

Almost every day now during the last few weeks we got snow.

It's Bullshit.

Scud said:
Soon a new iceage will start and we are at the end of the last one.

How soon are you proposing?

Scud said:

It's Bullshit.
because in finland it snows way more than in germany.

ryosuke said:
Scud said:

It's Bullshit.
because in finland it snows way more than in germany.

Exactly ;)

"Some impacts of global warming may be quite the opposite of what people may expect. For example, snowfall may increase in some of the colder regions because warmer ocean air may bring a higher amount of moisture into cold areas and drop more snow on land which is already so cold that an increase in temperature of a degree or two still is well below freezing point."

Keep in mind this is all conjecture, we can only look at what is merely a snapshot of the earth's climate, we have no clue when it comes to the big picture.