World's first 256GB USB memory stick

Can't wait till prices drop on these. I'd love to get my hands on one of these.

Can't wait till prices drop on these. I'd love to get my hands on one of these.

As would I.

It probably won't be long before these get cheaper and more common. It wasn't too many years ago that a 1GB memory stick was considered big and expensive.

^ :blink:

Seriously?

I have like 10-15 GB worth of music (which is still growing exponentially).
Top Gear takes up about 30-40 GB of space ( I have all the epis from season 4-now ).
I have quite a few game ISO's which probably take up the majority of the space.
A few movies I'm estimating would add up to 50/60 GB, or more.
Photoshop documents and illustrator documents quickly add up to at least 20 gigs or more.

Total is probably around 300-500 gigs.

Let's see:
I have 26GB of stuff on my computer (out of possible 33GB), 2.4GB of which is my modest music folder. Top Gear is burned on DVDs, so that's aside. I don't play games because my 4 years old 1.7GHz Pentium Mobile IBM laptop won't run any. I also don't watch movies on my computer, and don't use Photoshop much. On the external HD I have 88GB of stuff, 81GB of which is pure anime. :p

So that'd be 114 GB. ;)

Let's see:
I have 26GB of stuff on my computer (out of possible 33GB), 2.4GB of which is my modest music folder. Top Gear is burned on DVDs, so that's aside. I don't play games because my 4 years old 1.7GHz Pentium Mobile IBM laptop won't run any. I also don't watch movies on my computer, and don't use Photoshop much. On the external HD I have 88GB of stuff, 81GB of which is pure anime. :p

So that'd be 114 GB. ;)

Best of all, you'd spend about 100 minutes copying all of that on the 256gb Kingston. At 20mb/s they are too slow.

Best of all, you'd spend about 100 minutes copying all of that on the 256gb Kingston. At 20mb/s they are too slow.

Is that all they'll handle? Still, it's faster than my NAS box, which Teracopy showed as only managing 4mb/s when I copied some videos over yesterday.

Outside of the "type" of media it is, you're never going to get wicked throughput on an USB storage device.

USB Bulk transer mode is just a plodding elephant of a thing. It's superceded by all other transfer types on the bus, so anything else you're doing over USB is going to push a packet down queue. It's also not guaranteed bandwidth, so it doesn't allocate bandwidth to use for transfer and as a result, it can flux greatly during one session.

And let us not forget that USB operations are still bound to the CPU, so CPU load will affect USB perf on Bulk and Isoch operations.

/geekMode

While that is a neat thing, it's quite huge. Scale this 16GB drive up instead
Who cares?! It's still 256 fricken' gigs in your pocket! :eek:

For me, that's backup of all my work data, photos and system images. To be able to take that around on a keychain would be fantastic for backup replication.

Last edited:
[...]For me, that's backup of all my work data, photos and system images. To be able to take that around on a keychain would be fantastic for backup replication.
... I?ve had to stock up on storage this year because I didn?t have enough space anymore ... so now I?ve got about 1.2TB in internal and external drives ... and they are starting to fill again ... give me another year and I will be close to having filled my 1.2TB ... and will upgrade to 2 or 3 TB ...

The Point is ... you get these huge empty drives and you think "that?s so much space" ... and a year later you go "I need a bigger one" ... last year I scrapped a lot of old drives ... one of them had 700 MB (from my first own PC 1997) ... I remember that was HUGE back then ... and me not being able to FILL that for years ... and now 700MB seem like such a Joke ...

Theoretical limits are always nice. ;)

Practical application is another story.

My flash drive does >200Mbyte/s, if it had a USB3 plug it'd probably do similar speeds externally. If they're crying about 20Mbyte/s then there's your practical application :lol: no need for the theoretical top gearspeed, half that is fine by me.

My flash drive does >200Mbyte/s, if it had a USB3 plug it'd probably do similar speeds externally. If they're crying about 20Mbyte/s then there's your practical application :lol: no need for the theoretical top gearspeed, half that is fine by me.

Are you talking bits or bytes, there's a big difference. I thought the thoeretical limit of USB2.0 was 480mbps boiling down to roughly 40MB/s transfer. You can't get 200MB/s over USB, not yet anyway.

I'm talking Mbyte/s. I explicitly wrote Mbyte/s to make sure nobody thought I was actually getting an eighth of the speed. It's running on SATA 3.0Gbit/s, which is capable of even a bit more.

http://img140.imageshack.**/img140/3989/speedt.png
http://img504.imageshack.**/img504/4539/access.png

My point was this: Flash itself is capable of decent speeds, USB2.0 is holding it back. In the real world it'll struggle to get to 40Mbyte/s, for me both external traditional HDDs and flash keys top out at about 33Mbyte/s.

Damn I think it is awesome. Can't wait until they get a bit cheaper too!

That's pretty cool tech, but insanely expensive right now. I think we gotta give this at least another year. I can't believe that this thing has the same storage as the hard drive in my computer. 250GB hard drives were the standard size back then... Crazy how fast technology evolves.