Would an Audi of over over 100k miles worry you?

Whappeh

Car(s)
05 Nissan Xterra 4x4
I found a few good deals price wise, but the engines seem to have some wear (100k+ miles on each), for relatively new (2002 and 2003) Audi A4s. Should I be worried, or would that be worth ~$7000?

Edit: I was typing to fast on the title and meant to say "Of over"...

Last edited:
As long as it's been properly maintained and looked after I don't see any problem. It probably has the capability of doing triple that easy. (with regular matanece and such)

Obviously too late to call and ask tonight.

One is an 03 1.8T with approx 130k
One is an 02 3.0 quattro with approx 110k.

IMO, a higher mileage Audi would be better, because the problem components have likely been replaced by then, and it should be ready to go another 100k mi. Carfax, and beware of ones with many owners etc. Get a pre-purchase inspection. If it turns out okay, you shouldn't hesitate.

Now I will say that we ended up going with the C-class instead due to better reliability, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I've heard the timing belts are rubbish and need to be replaced after 20-30K miles (with the bill going up to >$1000), so make sure that all checks out on the CarFax.

Part of the reason why I eventually chose a Beemer too (even though I think the Audi looks better, and 4WD = drool), even though you look like a cock driving one.

Go for the V6- it's a simpler motor. The 1.8 is great for tuning, but that one is FWD. You'll be better off with the larger motor. Just be ready to live without some electronic accessories as Audi's have a bad rep with electrics. That's another important thing to check in a vehicle's history- something that has had to be repaired frequently should be a big red flag. Also, think about looking at E38 7ers. They get a bad rap, but my mechanic has one with 225k on it that is mint. But, he does say that around the 70k-80k mark is when lots of bits (hoses, various other bits) need to be replaced though. And as for the clusters and dead pixels- if you bitch loud enough to BMW, they'll fix it for free.

German cars are always going to be expensive to fix, so I'd suggest going to an independent mechanic. If it were me, I'd make sure that the owner had extensive documentation. You should make 100% sure that the previous owner has replaced all the critical bits; hoses, belts, etc.

Good luck to you!

IMO, a higher mileage Audi would be better, because the problem components have likely been replaced by then, and it should be ready to go another 100k mi. Carfax, and beware of ones with many owners etc. Get a pre-purchase inspection. If it turns out okay, you shouldn't hesitate.

Now I will say that we ended up going with the C-class instead due to better reliability, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Or conversely they haven't and are now complete ticking time bombs.

I'd only go for one if the Timing belt had already been done.

Also look out for the water pump. Those should have been replaced probably. The 1.8Ts are notorious for turbo sludge, so you are better off with a V6, though I hear the T is more fun.

The 1.8 is great for tuning, but that one is FWD.

My cousin owns a 1.8T quattro. I'd make sure the timing belt has already been replaced.

Find a 1.8t Quattro with a rebuilt turbo, and timing belt job complete recently, that and new control arms.. A lot of stuff begin to fall apart at around 100k, but it is very manageable. My previous 98 1.8t had nearly 150k miles on it of me beating the shit out of it everyday and it was still running very strong.

I called at 10 and they were both sold. Popular I guess, eh?

I called at 10 and they were both sold. Popular I guess, eh?

Go on Audizine, Go on VWVortex and Audiworld, cars sold on the forums are going to be the best well kept (seeing they're owned by enthusiasts). That is your best bet to find a well kept car.

There is another site now called Quattroworld.com that was created when Audiworld changed forum formats.

As to the original question, I drive a 95 Audi with 212,000 miles on it as my daily driver and it has never let me down.

The timing belt on the 1.8T is a weak point, but it is not as bad as the guy above said. The recommended interval is 80k, but most guys replace it between 60 and 70. The 1.8t is an interference motor and you WILL be replacing valves if that belt breaks. I have replace up to 15 valves on the 1.8t and 16v VW/ Audi heads for people who have broken a timing belt.

Everything stated above about maintenace is all true, and obviously reciepts or proof of said maintenance is a nice thing to see when you buy the car. I can tell you that most of the true "old Audi" enthusiasts will keep every freaking piece of paper you can imagine, and they are quite proud to show it off, but for the relatively enw cars you were looking at it is a bity of a crap shoot unless the owner was a pretty hard core enthusiast.

Just find out whether all the big services have been done, and there should be no issues, also NEVER buy an Audi without 4wd. You'll get a better car, and all the money you spent on getting the quattro will be gained back when you sell it on.

Mileage is nothing compared to careful maintenance. Do have the car inspected by a mechanic who will find a few things to be done then use this info to drive the price down a bit.

I found a few good deals price wise, but the engines seem to have some wear (100k+ miles on each), for relatively new (2002 and 2003) Audi A4s. Should I be worried, or would that be worth ~$7000?

Edit: I was typing to fast on the title and meant to say "Of over"...

It depends. If it is one of the new Audis from the second half of the 1990's on, they are very reliable.

But before that, Audis were notorious of falling apart bit by bit - even though the engine lasted.

I know what I'm talking about -- I owned two.

Nowadays Audis are among the most reliable cars you can buy but it hasn't always been so.

As a general rule of thumb, I'd never buy any car with over 100k miles. Not only are you putting your life in the hands of a well-used engine, but you're playing with worn bushes, potentially snapped springs, usually a whole field of owners (you can't guarantee them all), and generally there's a reason they cost so little. As far as I see it, you buy the best model you can afford. If that means down-grading on the spec to have a car with lower miles and fewer owners, then so be it. I'd never buy the highest spec, but poorest condition car I could afford. Not that it always works, but you're at least minimising the risk. I paid top-price for my MX5, and from a reputable dealer, and I still found one of the OEM springs snapped, an OEM shocker leaking, cracked bushes...They didn't bother me as such because I planned on upgrading these things almost immediately anyway.

It's all well and good saying 'maintenance > mileage', but you can't guarantee the maintenance upkeep with a used car as it is, throwing longer ownership and higher miles into the bag is a powder-keg at best.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

well.. 1000k sounds a bit of a big deal..

I dont know why people are affraid of "high" mileage cars, they are better value for money if you know what you are looking for and have some know how with cars. Good maintenance is a big plus and always check it with a mechanic or a MOT inspector (luckily i have 3 relatives in that position). Small parts like bushings are usually easy to change and cheap to buy.

100k? no problem. 180k+? then I'd worry.