Would I be insane to buy an old Rover?

TheSaint

Hi, off car shopping at the weekend so browsing Autotrader's website and there are a couple of those old Rover coupe's within my budget. Not hideous looking and would do for me nicely (i.e. comfortable, sporty looking and CHEAP), but am I asking for trouble in getting an oldish Rover?

Are spare parts available or will I be down the scrappies with my fingers crossed? Anyone know if pattern parts are available? Not exactly a classic yet.

Sorry, might as well add. I'm more of a James May than a Clarkson so comfort and ride are more important than performance any other suggestions? Anyone had any experience with Saab 900's?

No you wouldnt be "insane" to look at an oldish model Range Rover. They are truly great cars that dont age with time. They are good looking, tough, luxurious and they arnt to expensive. I say all this because I was looking for one myself :) I have become a bit lazy though :p

I would go for the Range Rover Vogue. Its the top of the line model and would probly be in better nick than any of the other models. The coupes however are quite old...
2304206__m.jpg

Ooh I know a thing about Land Rover's and their brothers. Have owned four Series Landy's and 1 Discovery. Thing is Land Rover are a seperate company from Rover in the UK and are still going thanks to Ford. They also have a really good classic parts program and a big enthusiast movement over here so parts support is excellent no matter what LR you get.

I was thinking about one of these:

220coupe.jpg

And just for fun here's my Disco :D

splash.jpg

Ah, SL65AMG-LOL-WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!, he's looking for an old ROVER, not a Range Rover.

I think he's after something like this, this or this!

ok, so maybe in much better condition and even better cars... but am i getting the sort of era right? stop me if im wrong :p

Edit: Bugger, your post didnt show up when I opened the page :bangin:

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
No you wouldnt be "insane" to look at an oldish model Range Rover. They are truly great cars that dont age with time. They are good looking, tough, luxurious and they arnt to expensive. I say all this because I was looking for one myself :) I have become a bit lazy though :p

aren't you like 15? how can you be looking for a car for yourself?

anyhow, rovers, a friends mom drives a rover cabrio, and i hate it, it sounds/looks cheap, and if you take a sharp corner fast, you feel the chassis bending

that's all i know about them, and the fact that everyone starts laughing if you bring them up

i think there are better cheap cars to buy. what budget are you willing to spend?

bone said:

hahahaha
youve been had!!
BURNNN

I've got about ?1000.

Had a Rover 200 (the curvy one) which I thought was really good (comfortable, reasonably nippy and very good handling). Also had a 400 which was really underpowered for the size of car and a piece of crap to drive, so it's not like I'm in love with them or anything.

Not all that bothered about what other people think I look like in it (I saw a guy in a Lambo yesterday and thought he looked a bit sad) , but for the money they seem like a decent package.

There's a couple of them for sale on Pistonheads, should give you an idea of price, also look in the forums to find out anything about it's reliability...

Here...

watto said:
Ah, SL65AMG-LOL-WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!, he's looking for an old ROVER, not a Range Rover.

I think he's after something like this, this or this!

ok, so maybe in much better condition and even better cars... but am i getting the sort of era right? stop me if im wrong :p

Edit: Bugger, your post didnt show up when I opened the page :bangin:
Oh God I just realised that this morning :shock: Please Saint dude, I do not condone the purchasing of any Rovers old or new. Just Range Rovers :)
bone said:

anyhow, rovers, a friends mom drives a rover cabrio, and i hate it, it sounds/looks cheap, and if you take a sharp corner fast, you feel the chassis bending

that's all i know about them, and the fact that everyone starts laughing if you bring them up

i think there are better cheap cars to buy. what budget are you willing to spend?
No no thats what i'v been looking for as a first car. I need one for January next year and i'v only been looking. I like it cos its cheap as, fun to take off road and bash around and its kinda safe eh...

^you've been owned nonetheless and that deserves you a new title.

and bone, you get to keep yours! :lol:

Haha thats hilarious, I finally have my own title!! I would prefer "I got Boned!" LOL :lmao:
But how the hell did I get owned anyways :? ?

Renesis said:
^you've been owned nonetheless and that deserves you a new title.

and bone, you get to keep yours! :lol:

tnx :thumbsup: :lol:

TheSaint said:
I've got about ?1000.

Had a Rover 200 (the curvy one) which I thought was really good (comfortable, reasonably nippy and very good handling). Also had a 400 which was really underpowered for the size of car and a piece of crap to drive, so it's not like I'm in love with them or anything.

Not all that bothered about what other people think I look like in it (I saw a guy in a Lambo yesterday and thought he looked a bit sad) , but for the money they seem like a decent package.

I think the 200 Coup? will be a lot like the 400 you had. I think they share the same chassis. (And considering the handling they had, they surely could share a chassis, like cut in 2 slices :evil: )

Lederlieber said:
You should get the Rover ST1 with that V8 engine. That car was in TG [04x08], and they kinda liked it... :D

It's a SD1. :)

I think you should get a P6 - now THAT is an old Rover ;) cool and comfy in my opinion

The older Saab 900s were much better than the General Motors Vauxhall Cavalier based ones, I know people who swear by them. Or even an old Volvo perhaps??? Amazons (121s) are great.

I know a chap who had a Rover like the one you're thinking of and the paint faded - he seemed to love the car, but it bugged me that it seemed to be fading away before my eyes :eek:

sorry I'm classics freak :roll: