Would you buy it?

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
A company here started selling GT40 MkI replicas that they claim are so accurate 2/3 of parts could be used in the original car, blab blah blah...
My question is: would you buy it instead of another car with a similar price if you were shopping for a sporty car ?
For example (considering Brazil's prices), you could buy (all brand new) an Audi TT, A BMW 325, or a Nissan 350Z.
It uses the Ford 302 engine, producing 420hp and weighting 1110kgs (2450lbs). No ammenities (ABS, EBD, etc), only air-conditioning.
Pictures:
iaopoaabj.jpg

iaoplaabj.jpg

iaopmaabj.jpg

iaopnaabj.jpg

Personally, I liked it. Must be fun to drive it. :D

Last edited:
While it looks good and is certainly tempting, NO, if i can't afford a dream i won't taint myself with a knockoff, no matter how good it would be, it just won't be what i dreamt of. Half of the pleasure to me is knowing you have the real thing, something special, if it's as good as copying it over to enjoy it then it becomes a white good and that just loses all the character i was looking for from the original. It will definitely have character, just not the right one.

Bleh. There are more faithful recreations. What's with the 302 being used instead of the 427? Shelby is still producing the big block today.

I would gladly take it over the slew of "sheik coupes" that are flooding the market. It's not original, no, but that only allows you to have fun with it instead of being paranoid about scratching your million-dollar museum piece. It makes sense for the Cobra, and it makes sense for the GT40s.

Bleh. There are more faithful recreations. What's with the 302 being used instead of the 427? Shelby is still producing the big block today.

Sure there are, but at that price?
The use of the 302 is due to local availability, I guess. :dunno:

I would gladly take it over the slew of "sheik coupes" that are flooding the market. It's not original, no, but that only allows you to have fun with it instead of being paranoid about scratching your million-dollar museum piece. It makes sense for the Cobra, and it makes sense for the GT40s.

This.

420Hp? 2400 lbs? Costs as much as a 350Z?

Where do I sign up? I have found my track car.

Yes please! :drool: If I spent all that money on a car I'd want it to turn at least a few heads and this certainly would. Plus the Ford GT is probably my favorite car out there so having at least some version of it would be awesome.

Neither of the engines you mentioned in your post were ever used in the MkI GT40. The 302 used in the replica is far closer to the original 289 than the 427 you suggest is correct.

To answer the question, yes, I would have that over anything in its price range. You'd have more fun driving a replica than driving an original and having to worry about damaging a million-dollar irreplaceable vehicle. While I'm at it, I'd have a Brock coupe as well.

Last edited:
I would definitely take the GT40 replica over the cars listed, though I wouldn't go for the Gulf colors...

That one in the pictures belongs to a customer. I like that Gulf color scheme, but I would probably choose something like this:
aaoeiaabk.jpg

Depends on what you want in a car. On a track that replica GT40 will tear the 350Z and company a new asshole

That's my point. If you were shopping for a sports car (that is: not a daily driver, not a long distance tourer, merely a toy to enjoy a nice road), would you buy it instead of a more refined car? :)

Last edited:
Neither of the engines you mentioned in your post were ever used in the MkI GT40. The 302 used in the replica is far closer to the original 289 than the 427 you suggest is correct.

The 427 was used in the Mk2, 3, and 4. I would argue that is much closer than the 302. Also it will sound and go a hell of a lot better/faster.

If I fit inside, then I would buy one, but I'm about as tall as clarkson, so that isn't likely.

The 427 was used in the Mk2, 3, and 4. I would argue that is much closer than the 302. Also it will sound and go a hell of a lot better/faster.

The car in question is a MkI replica, not a MkII, III, or IV. And, while we're at it, the MkIII never had a 427 either (it had the 289), so you're wrong again.

If you're going to criticize a replica for inaccuracy, perhaps you should make sure your information is accurate first.

I don't know... a brazilian sports car? And I don't quite like the proportions. I think for once, I shall pass.