Would you buy it?

The car in question is a MkI replica, not a MkII, III, or IV. And, while we're at it, the MkIII never had a 427 either (it had the 289), so you're wrong again.

If you're going to criticize a replica for inaccuracy, perhaps you should make sure your information is accurate first.

Also:

Wow Shelby's 427s are expensive. A fully dressed one is over $20k. Even with the addition of EFI that is pricy.

You beloved 427 would cost half what those guys are asking for an entire, fully functioning car already producing a healthy 420hp. Don't get me wrong, of course I would like to have the biggest, most powerful engine possible, but I think what they offer is a pretty good deal.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to drive it every day like the other cars, but as a weekend car it would be fantastic. But not in Gulf, I'd prefer the lairy gold and pink Holman Moody car that came third at the 1966 Le Mans.

The car in question is a MkI replica, not a MkII, III, or IV. And, while we're at it, the MkIII never had a 427 either (it had the 289), so you're wrong again.

If you're going to criticize a replica for inaccuracy, perhaps you should make sure your information is accurate first.

Hey, hey. Didn't know that I touched a nerve there. When I think of the GT40 I think of the 427 (all the cars Ford won Le Mans had them). I am sure it is a fantastic car, but for me the engine plays a large part in determining the car's character. If someone buys one of these I won't give them slag over it (well maybe only in jest :p).

Also:

You beloved 427 would cost half what those guys are asking for an entire, fully functioning car already producing a healthy 420hp. Don't get me wrong, of course I would like to have the biggest, most powerful engine possible, but I think what they offer is a pretty good deal.

Heh, yea I figured that out just earlier after making my posts in this thread (hence my post about it in Random Thoughts). I can defiantly understand the decision considering the cost.

I had no intention of being offensive. If I somehow insulted you, I apologies. There was no intent.

Last edited:
Not that I have the scratch to do so, but I've recently come across two replicas of classic cars that are supposedly faster and more dependable than their originals. I asked myself this very same question and I always came back to "No."

Yeah, the replica may perform better than the original and not as delicate and so forth, but at the end of the day I personally would be happy with an original and all the quirks and character it's developed over the years. And if I had a fake sitting in the garage I'd always feel that truth in the pit of my stomach.

If it costs like ?30k, I would just have a different replica. But I'd rather have a replica than a new Audi TT or so.

Last edited:
Hey, hey. Didn't know that I touched a nerve there. When I think of the GT40 I think of the 427 (all the cars Ford won Le Mans had them). I am sure it is a fantastic car, but for me the engine plays a large part in determining the car's character. If someone buys one of these I won't give them slag over it (well maybe only in jest :p).

Heh, yea I figured that out just earlier after making my posts in this thread (hence my post about it in Random Thoughts). I can defiantly understand the decision considering the cost.

I had no intention of being offensive. If I somehow insulted you, I apologies. There was no intent.

You weren't even close to insulting me, don't worry. You were just being a little stubborn. :D
It's just that that particular engine (Ford 302) is the most common V8 available in Brazil. V8 themselves aren't common here, so it is a strategic decision of using an engine that is the better known V8 and therefore the easiest to maintain and modify and (as mentioned before) keep the cost down.
As for the 427, sure it is iconic, but I read drivers claiming that smaller engines, like the 289 suited the Cobra better, because the 427 was too much of a brute. Maybe it's the same with the GT40, who knows. :)

Yes yes and yes.

I don't mind replica cars when they are well executed. Like others have said there is nothing on sale today that would appeal to me more than this.

You said a company is selling it there, but do you know who is building it? The South African one Tiff drove had all the creature comforts that make it the selling point for some, does this one?

For those who wouldn't buy it, the chances that any one of us will ever have the chance to own an original is probably next to none. And even if you did, would you ever get up the nerve to drive it? Who cares if it is a replica? Just don't flaunt it as an original. Besides, I would feel more like a fraud owning an original trying to live out my Le Mans fantasies through it.

If you want character, hold onto it. A car will develop character. If that isn't what you want to do, there are alot of cool old cars out there that almost anyone can afford.

Yes, yes I would

and I would like it very much.
Rebuild the 302 with forged internals and add a Whipple and off to the races you go!

Yes yes and yes.

I don't mind replica cars when they are well executed. Like others have said there is nothing on sale today that would appeal to me more than this.

You said a company is selling it there, but do you know who is building it? The South African one Tiff drove had all the creature comforts that make it the selling point for some, does this one?

For those who wouldn't buy it, the chances that any one of us will ever have the chance to own an original is probably next to none. And even if you did, would you ever get up the nerve to drive it? Who cares if it is a replica? Just don't flaunt it as an original. Besides, I would feel more like a fraud owning an original trying to live out my Le Mans fantasies through it.

If you want character, hold onto it. A car will develop character. If that isn't what you want to do, there are alot of cool old cars out there that almost anyone can afford.

I don?t know who builds the parts, and the only comfort I know of is A/C.

Yes. The one tiff drove is built in South Africa, this one is South America. I believe also that the one Tiff drove was an Mk1 (?) replica, and the one in the OP is a different model. Tail section is the difference.

airmenair, the one sold here is based on an English replica (they don't say which) and the chassis and aluminum panels are made here.
In fact, the version sold here is the MkI, the one Tiff drove is a MkII, look at those "periscopes" at the rear.

Hellz yes. That's an insane amount of hp/$

Sure, it may not be all that refined, but who cares in a car like that?

As long as you:
a. Fit in the car
b. Don't have to drive it everyday
c. Take it to the track every once and a while

Then I think it is an awesome idea and would totally recommend buying it.

If I bought a replica it'd be a GT40. Maybe not THAT one, but definitely a GT40.

If I bought a replica it'd be a GT40. Maybe not THAT one, but definitely a GT40.

I would love to get a Gullwing with modern internals. Shouldn't be a glassfibre job, though.

A 356 would rock, too.

Of course. Like someone said; it's not a museum piece, so you can go burn tires in it all day and just grin.

Besides, a 302 it a fine starting point for hot rodding. :D

Another 350Z on the road (The Camaro of the West Coast Asian community) or something striking?

Hmmmm. Hell yes, I would buy the replica, but I would need them to make a bubble-top so I could fit in it.

Another 350Z on the road (The Camaro of the West Coast Asian community) or something striking?

Hmmmm. Hell yes, I would buy the replica, but I would need them to make a bubble-top so I could fit in it.

Somewhere in the original article, it is said that the seat mounting was modified to lower it , thus allowing taller people to drive it without "spoiling" the original design. I think you don?t need to make any special orders.:)