Would you buy Top Gear on iTunes?

Car(s)
'96 Honda Accord Sedan
In the US, we have the iTunes Store, and they sell most TV shows on the major networks for $1.99 a pop. Would you buy an episode of Top Gear at that price if it was offered, or continue to get it from BitTorrent?

I, personally, would get it from iTunes, because BT is the only way to get full episodes with any semblance of quality, and it would be nice to have a legal copy of every episode that I could put on my iPod.

Thoughts?

I would still get it from the torrent. I think they should just play in on BBC America.

I wouldn't buy it from iTunes because i think it's the devil's work, but in general; yes, I would by it from an iTunes sort of service if the price was right and, most importantly, the quality was good. For DVD quality, I'd probably be willing to pay up to $5.

The best solution would be to release all the series on DVD.

I would never buy a TV show from iTunes.

I would still get it from the torrent. I think they should just play in on BBC America.

Other than the fact that it seems to be against BBC America policy to show something Entertaining, I'd be all for that, too. It doesn't really seem like they know what a cash cow they'd have on their hands with showing it there.

And I'd get it on DVD, but iTunes would be the way I'd get the newest ones.

Last edited:
My god, on iTunes?! I wouldn't buy gold or diamonds from iTunes!

Only idiots buy things from itunes imo, well certainly video content anyway.

Everything on iTunes is DRM'd to buggery, therefore you are not even getting what you really pay for. There are no lossless format options afaik and that is not good either.

Buying an 11 track album on iTunes at 99p/song, you may as well buy the damn CD for 11 quid in HMV or online and actually get a tangible product which you can use as you see fit, not be restricted.

iTunes music is only really worth it if you un DRM it, and that is hassle that you shouldn't have to go through.

The video content is even worse, I would not even pay a penny for a single video on iTunes purely for the way you are treated like a criminal and the prices are stupid.

They will NEVER put any video content on iTunes that will be DVD Quality (5-8GB), non DRM'd and completely devoid of all restrictions. They expect you to pay DVD prices for inferior quality video that you have to download and cannot be burned to CD. I believe many of the TV episodes even self delete after 24 hours, really worth paying 2 quid for...

So to cut a long answer short, no I would not ever buy Top Gear from iTunes, nor indeed any video content from there.

Well - I suppose its been said.

1: Many (including me) don't like itunes (DRM - gag) and don't have an ipod video
2: No advantage whatsoever of that over torrent media for just watching on the computer

Yet - I would buy them purely to support the show. Although I maintain what I really want is DVD's. Torrents don't look wonderfully great blown up on TV, and it takes nerdy wires and tinkering to make it work - unless I get an Xbox 360 - which I won't. This isn't news to anyone - DVDs are a conviently packaged, more profitable for them, more accessable and higher quality to watch - and I would absolutely eat up the bonus features.

I'd buy in a heartbeat from iTunes.

Click...
3min later....
"Good evening and welcome to TopGear..."

Thank you iTunes!

Torrent is better than nothing but I've got a 7Mbps cable connection and it can take 3-7hrs to get a 700mb TG rip.

I'm a sucker for convenience.

Give that i already have a 10mpbs / 1.25 mbps connection and can get the 700mb in torrent in less than 2 hours typically...

I would buy it off of iTunes if the following criteria were met:
- DRM Free
- Full HD 1080P Res (which im pretty sure the show is not even shot/edited in currently) :blink:

I would buy all of the seasons on DVD if they came in a nice pretty package with tons of extras.

Torrent is better than nothing but I've got a 7Mbps cable connection and it can take 3-7hrs to get a 700mb TG rip.
That's probably more to do with the nature of the particular torrent rather than your connection. I have a piddly 1Mbit connection and the time it takes for a 700MB rip is about the same for me.

Apple's servers are horridly slow here for me so it's probably faster off a torrent anyway :p

(i'm on 20mbit)

I can generally download an episode of South Park, and it's maxed out at my connection (1.5Mb/s). The Torrents generally take me about eight hours to download.

Sounds like you use very poor trackers. I allways max out my line on locked trackers. :)

Sounds like you use very poor trackers. I allways max out my line on locked trackers. :)

I use the one built into Opera (Web Browser), which isn't fantastic, but it seeds pretty fast.

have you got bittorrent properally setup? eg ports forwarded?

I haven't, and I haven't taken the time to figure out why my firewall's disabled, but Azerus (The actual BT Client I sometimes use when Opera's acting up) keeps saying that it's blocking things, despite the lack of firewall on my computer, the router, or the modem.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy them from iTunes for several reasons.

1) I use Linux and there's no iTunes for my operating system.

2) DRM, funk dat. If I buy them I want to be able to watch them on any PC I own, my TVs, etc.

4) I have a 3g iPod that doesn't do video so I see little benefit in getting them from iTunes over getting torrents.

5) I'd buy every season instantly if they offered them on DVD just so I could have the episodes in DVD quality.

6) There were some more but I'm watching an episode right now and forgot what they were :?

PLEASE BBC, GIVE US TOP GEAR ON DVD!!!!!

I haven't, and I haven't taken the time to figure out why my firewall's disabled, but Azerus (The actual BT Client I sometimes use when Opera's acting up) keeps saying that it's blocking things, despite the lack of firewall on my computer, the router, or the modem.

You probably just need to forward the port.